THE OFFICIAL DUKE/UNC B-BALL THREAD 2020/21 (WORSE, SLOWER, MORE MASKS, LESS FANS, LESS W’s)

@Dudleys87 id rather discuss it over here than see all the crap over there in the BBALL forum. Not in the mood to hear how someone is overrated from fans who’ve never even been to a final 4. Not saying I’m not a Vols fan in all sports, but I also know my limits and you don’t see me trashing other programs who have accomplished more than ours.

@Dudleys87 id rather discuss it over here than see all the crap over there in the BBALL forum. Not in the mood to hear how someone is overrated from fans who’ve never even been to a final 4. Not saying I’m not a Vols fan in all sports, but I also know my limits and you don’t see me trashing other programs who have accomplished more than ours.

I understand that fully. I only mentioned you because in the past you seem to be more connected that a random post on this board.

He was right ill give him that but majority of the time theyre all wrong.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I understand that fully. I only mentioned you because in the past you seem to be more connected that a random post on this board.

He was right ill give him that but majority of the time theyre all wrong.
I do know some people very close to the program, but I didn’t have anyone tell me that something was going to drop like this. You could kind of tell when Roy might’ve been leaning that way back in the Winter, but I don’t even think he knew until early/mid March. I actually had better insight to Roy than K. 😂

I do know some people very close to the program, but I didn’t have anyone tell me that something was going to drop like this. You could kind of tell when Roy might’ve been leaning that way back in the Winter, but I don’t even think he knew until early/mid March. I actually had better insight to Roy than K. 😂

lol, i knew you were a closet Tar Heel buddy, its ok you can come to the other side now.

Like i said in the other thread and maybe im wrong but i feel like K lost some of the fire and became disinterested so to speak especially when they should him court side and post game. If not then he was absolutely worn out mentally.

lol, i knew you were a closet Tar Heel buddy, its ok you can come to the other side now.

Like i said in the other thread and maybe im wrong but i feel like K lost some of the fire and became disinterested so to speak especially when they should him court side and post game. If not then he was absolutely worn out mentally.
Haha. I don’t think I’ll be joining the lighter shade. I think he’s definitely toned it down some. I also don’t think today’s respond to the kind of coaching that got K where he is today. All these kids today have to have their ass kissed or coddled. Yeah you can challenge them to a degree, but it’s not like it used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
Haha. I don’t think I’ll be joining the lighter shadeI think he’s definitely toned it down some. I also don’t think today’s respond to the kind of coaching that got K where he is today. All these kids today have to have their ass kissed our coddled. Yeah you can challenge them to a degree, but it’s not like it used to be.

You could tell that for whatever reason the kids were not responding like teams of past. So theres a really good chance that its a mixture of what you talked about along with not being able to push because coaches know, especially now that kids can leave whenever they want without consequences

I definitely think K is worn down. We debated during season if it was covid or what, but I think he’s just tired of always going. He’s without question the patriarch of coaching and has been for years. He hasn’t gotten to “just coach”basketball for over a decade. That’s not a slam to Roy, Cal, or anyone else, but K has been King.

I also think the system is screwed up and he’s done with it. If he were 10/15 years younger, he prolly would take the leap to the NBA now, just because of where college basketball is and how it works. I feel like the one and done system takes away from being able to actually enjoy coaching for someone like K. He doesn’t really get to coach them up anymore.

@RDU VOL#14 , as for Scheyer, he’s proven to be a great recruiter, I just don’t know about game day. That said, who from K’s tree has proven great as a game day coach?

I definitely think K is worn down. We debated during season if it was covid or what, but I think he’s just tired of always going. He’s without question the patriarch of coaching and has been for years. He hasn’t gotten to “just coach”basketball for over a decade. That’s not a slam to Roy, Cal, or anyone else, but K has been King.

I also think the system is screwed up and he’s done with it. If he were 10/15 years younger, he prolly would take the leap to the NBA now, just because of where college basketball is and how it works. I feel like the one and done system takes away from being able to actually enjoy coaching for someone like K. He doesn’t really get to coach them up anymore.

@RDU VOL#14 , as for Scheyer, he’s proven to be a great recruiter, I just don’t know about game day. That said, who from K’s tree has proven great as a game day coach?
I don’t know that I would say anyone is great fro K’s coaching tree. I think Mike Brey has had the most success at a similar school. I think Bobby Hurley is also doing some good things at Arizona State. Quinn Snyder would be a home run, but why leave the Jazz and he also has a history with the NCAA . We’ll see what happens with Scheyer.

Reactions: volfanbill
I don’t know that I would say anyone is great fro K’s coaching tree. I think Mike Brey has had the most success at a similar school. I think Bobby Hurley is also doing some good things at Arizona State. Quinn Snyder would be a home run, but why leave the Jazz and he also has a history with the NCAA . We’ll see what happens with Scheyer.
I think Mr Goodhair’s success in the NBA eliminates any chance of him. He’s not going to mess with the ‘AA guidelines again if he doesn’t have to.

I wouldn’t call Hurley from K’s tree, but he is the only one with ties to the school that makes sense. Brey is too old, Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, Collins, Wojo, whoever else, just haven’t done enough.

I really try not to slam the man but there will always be that deep down hatred for them. You cant argue the mans wins or his system for lack of a better term. It worked for many years and he did very well. My only knock on coach K, Roy, and Cal is the title production. The 3 of them have had a surplus of talent nearly like clockwork. Yes, Carolina was as close as you could get to going back to back but fell on its face by not play D in big spots. I really thought K could have used a true big man at times and he could have more rings but his system works well and he surely has forgotten more about basketball than I ever will. Like you said though I think he realizes that his way of coaching isnt the ticket anymore and he walked away at the right time. Good luck to him where ever the future takes him.

As far as the new head devil I think theyre in the same boat as Carolina and theres a lot to be left on the table

K, Self, Cal, Izzo, Roy, Wright, Few, Boeheim and probably more. There’s been a lot of great coaches the past twenty years. It’s really hard to win a bunch load of titles when there’s great competition. All of them could’ve/should’ve won more, but I see why they didn’t.

I feel the same way. I have been gone from Raleigh since '72 but i still love my Pack.

Retiring to spend time with family not the game. I respectfully ask @volfanbill and @RDU VOL#14 do you believe it or not?

Personally I still stick to my original comment the revolving door no longer works with his coaching style.

Retiring to spend time with family not the game. I respectfully ask @volfanbill and @RDU VOL#14 do you believe it or not?

Personally I still stick to my original comment the revolving door no longer works with his coaching style.
K and Saban have earned the right to go out however they choose to. That’s all I’ll say.

That said, this is harder to accept for me than I ever imagined. I don’t remember a pre-K era. This is the last piece of my sports childhood coming to an end. I don’t know that anyone would’ve been an acceptable replacement for me. Don’t cry for me though, it was a great run

K and Saban have earned the right to go out however they choose to. That’s all I’ll say.

That said, this is harder to accept for me than I ever imagined. I don’t remember a pre-K era. This is the last piece of my sports childhood coming to an end. I don’t know that anyone would’ve been an acceptable replacement for me. Don’t cry for me though, it was a great run

Totally agree with the way you put it i guess it’s just not sitting well with me either. Roy and K brought out the best in each other and the rivalry. It’ll be interesting to see who gets a longer leash if things start to go bad.

I think that it’s a combination of both . The guy is a maniac. He is the ultimate competitor and maybe he feels like if he can’t do it at the highest level anymore he doesn’t want to do it any less than full go. I’ve told the story on here before:
A friend of mine was on staff about 10 years ago or so and Duke got blown out on the road by a lesser team. They had Maryland in 3 days and when they got back to the basketball office around 2am K told the entire staff to go home get their $hit and be back by 4 and to tell their families they wouldn’t see them until after the Maryland game. Duke went on to beat Maryland by double figures and K was beaming post game and telling the staff how it was so worth it not to go home for 72 hours because they beat Maryland. From what I was told the staff kind of faked their enthusiasm. He’s psycho. And I guess that’s what it takes when you’re a Saban or Belichick or K .

I think that it’s a combination of both . The guy is a maniac. He is the ultimate competitor and maybe he feels like if he can’t do it at the highest level anymore he doesn’t want to do it any less than full go. I’ve told the story on here before:
A friend of mine was on staff about 10 years ago or so and Duke got blown out on the road by a lesser team. They had Maryland in 3 days and when they got back to the basketball office around 2am K told the entire staff to go home get their $hit and be back by 4 and to tell their families they wouldn’t see them until after the Maryland game. Duke went on to beat Maryland by double figures and K was beaming post game and telling the staff how it was so worth it not to go home for 72 hours because they beat Maryland. From what I was told the staff kind of faked their enthusiasm. He’s psycho. And I guess that’s what it takes when you’re a Saban or Belichick or K .

That has a Bobby Knight tone to it. He’s from that coaching tree, correct?

Eamonn Brennan’s article painted K as a “Knight 2.0” in that he had the same edge but learned to be crisper, more calculated/controlled, etc. I hadn’t really framed it that way before but I can see it

Eamonn Brennan’s article painted K as a “Knight 2.0” in that he had the same edge but learned to be crisper, more calculated/controlled, etc. I hadn’t really framed it that way before but I can see it
I haven’t read the article, but I think Knight really kind of painted a picture of how to create a winning basketball culture, while at the same time showing time after time how not to do things.

VN Store

Back