4-out/1-in set:
JH, RB, Alexus Dye, Kaiya Wynn/TK

But my prediction for Coach K is:
Jordan Walker
Jordan Horston
Rae Burrell
Keyen Green
Tamari Key
underestimating Alexus Dye... dont think Coach is gonna rush Keyen into the lineup after her ACL injury

Now that we have the full roster, lets see who can predict the starting lineup:
If I was putting them out there it would be

Traditional set:
PG-Jordan Walker
SG-Jordan Horston
SF-Rae Burrell
PF-Karoline Striplin
C-Tamari Key

or
Hi-Lo set:
Striplin/Key with JH, JW, RB

4-out/1-in set:
JH, RB, Alexus Dye, Kaiya Wynn/TK

But my prediction for Coach K is:
Jordan Walker
Jordan Horston
Marta Suarez
Rae Burrell
Tamari Key
I like it except I think Alexus Dye is starting. I think the freshmen will play a lot but don't think she will start any of them unless they just look to good not to.

I like it except I think Alexus Dye is starting. I think the freshmen will play a lot but don't think she will start any of them unless they just look to good not to.

I agree Dye with start also some will disagree Tamari must stay on the floor for TN to have a chance at finishing in the top 4 in the SEC.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

I'm leaning towards none of the new players starting initially. Kellie can field a really good team from those that are coming back and if they are effective, she will have the opportunity to manage game minutes for the development of new players. Kellie will have a much deeper team but enters next season without a clear star like Rennia was last year. Most believe Rae is that player this year and she looked like it last season but Jordan and Tamari are due, in my opinion, to step into leadership positions on the team. A team needs multiple scoring threats so, IMO, Tennessee will go as Horston, Key and Burrell go.

My line up thoughts are:

PG - Walker
Wing - Burrell
Wing - Horston
PF - Suarez
C - Key

I see a lot of minutes for Dye, Striplin, Wynn, Puckett and Saunders. I'm sure Kellie will develop a backup at PG and that will drive minutes as well.

Wild Cards

1. Will Rennie get her shooting eye back? She has been in Kellies system going on 3 years now.
2. Will our scorers finish strong through contact? We have left a lot of points on the floor the past decade or so by not finishing layups.
3. Will Marta be strong enough to play a power forward position? May not be important at all in Kellies motion offense.
4. Will the Freshmen make a big difference this year?
5. Avoiding the major injuries.

I'm leaning towards none of the new players starting initially. Kellie can field a really good team from those that are coming back and if they are effective, she will have the opportunity to manage game minutes for the development of new players. Kellie will have a much deeper team but enters next season without a clear star like Rennia was last year. Most believe Rae is that player this year and she looked like it last season but Jordan and Tamari are due, in my opinion, to step into leadership positions on the team. A team needs multiple scoring threats so, IMO, Tennessee will go as Horston, Key and Burrell go.

My line up thoughts are:

PG - Walker
Wing - Burrell
Wing - Horston
PF - Suarez
C - Key

I see a lot of minutes for Dye, Striplin, Wynn, Puckett and Saunders. I'm sure Kellie will develop a backup at PG and that will drive minutes as well.

Wild Cards

1. Will Rennie get her shooting eye back? She has been in Kellies system going on 3 years now.
2. Will our scorers finish strong through contact? We have left a lot of points on the floor the past decade or so by not finishing layups.
3. Will Marta be strong enough to play a power forward position? May not be important at all in Kellies motion offense.
4. Will the Freshmen make a big difference this year?
5. Avoiding the major injuries.
Marta looked a lot thinner she may be vying for the three position so she can use her shooting skills more. She really didn't work well inside and from the looks of the photos is back to the playing weight when she was at her best in Spain.

Marta looked a lot thinner she may be vying for the three position so she can use her shooting skills more. She really didn't work well inside and from the looks of the photos is back to the playing weight when she was at her best in Spain.

I haed the same thought when I looked at that picture. And it makes sense with the number and quality of players we have at the 4, now added to by Puckett and Striplin, that she would perceive the 3 to be her most likely PT on this team.

I know it is a long shot with the Freshman pick, but I have seen Karoline play in person a few times and I know she will not act like a freshman when it comes to practice...This girl has the entire game in her, scoring, shot-block, assist, steals, rebounds,,,she fills a statline.

I know it is a long shot with the Freshman pick, but I have seen Karoline play in person a few times and I know she will not act like a freshman when it comes to practice...This girl has the entire game in her, scoring, shot-block, assist, steals, rebounds,,,she fills a statline.
Start or not I am sure she will log double digit minutes along with Wynn and Puckett.

Walker
Horston
Burrell
Dye
Key
I think that’s a very athletic and aggressive starting line up with a lot of fight in them.

Lots of minutes for Suarez, Striplin, Puckett, Wynn, and Darby(who I think people easily forget). I see Striplin and Keyen playing the 5 more than I do Saunders at this point unless she took a huge step forward. Saunders and Rennie IMO aren’t players I don’t see playing a lot in the future especially if they can’t find minutes this season.

Can Miles be a shut down defender? And if so, how do you keep her off the floor?
One poster already mentioned this but I had to look hard when Walker and Miles were standing next to each other.

Can Miles be a shut down defender? And if so, how do you keep her off the floor?
One poster already mentioned this but I had to look hard when Walker and Miles were standing next to each other.
twins literally

I'd be really surprised if she's a contributor as a freshman. My prediction is that Walker and Horston will play 99% of the PG minutes.

I'd be really surprised if she's a contributor as a freshman. My prediction is that Walker and Horston will play 99% of the PG minutes.
I think she will be in the mix. Our guard play was not the strong part of our team last year. Hopefully, the point guards who have the best assist to turnover rate gets the chance to play a lot of minutes. We cano not continue to have 17-20 turnovers if we want to win the tough games.

Is this thread about the starting lineup for Carson Newman in early NOvember or beginning in March?

Is this thread about the starting lineup for Carson Newman in early NOvember or beginning in March?
Good point. KJH likes to experiment early in the season, and falls in love with players in practice and plays them alot more than expected. So early lineups don't count.

For a settled out lineup, I think
Walker
Horston
Burrell
Key
and . . TBD between Dye and Marta. I can't make that call right now. KJH really likes Marta though, or did last year.

Big mins for Green, Striplin (I hope) and whoever doesn't start btw Marta and Dye. Medium mins for Puckett (I hope) and Darby (who Kellie also really likes). Experimental mins early for Miles, mop up for Jessie and Emily.

I confess I don't know Wynn, somehow I completely missed her story in recruiting. Is she a 3? Can she shoot? Can she defend? I would love to be pleasantly surprised by her.

PG Walker
SG Burrell
SF Horston
PF Dye
C Key
I have the same starting lineup, my entire lineup is.

Starters/Bench
PG-Walker/Miles
SG-Burrell/Wynn/Rennie
SF-Horston/Darby/Puckett
PF-Dye/Suarez/Green
C-Key/Saunders/Striplin

I think we see a few things play out and this starting lineup is strictly based on the first game of the season taking into account injuries from last season and freshman being freshman.

With Marta and Green being injured majority of last season, I think Kellie doesn't rush them back. This gives Dye the advantage at the 4 spot.

Horston will like slide over to RD's spot and I also see her sliding to the PG spot some when Walker heads to the bench.

IMO Puckett and Striplin will eventually overtake Saunders and Darby as the primary backups at the 3 and 5 spot but they wont get first crack as the immediate backup until probably after the first couple of games.

Bye the time we reach SEC play I think you see Kellie go with a 9 to 10 player rotation and it is likely to look like;

Starters/Bench
PG-Walker/Horston
SG-Burrell/Wynn
SF-Horston/Puckett
PF-Dye/Green/Marta
C-Key/Striplin

Darby, Saunders, Miles, Rennie will likely only see time during SEC play for situational purposes. I just want them to be ready when their number is called.

VN Store

Back