'18 AL LB Jacquez Jones (Ole Miss transfer)

VOLUNTEERSZN

The Original #WRU

Lead Ole Miss in tackles last season with 71. Had 75 the previous year. Idk if they push but since Ro isn’t coming we probably have an extra transfer spot and taking a LB that’s put up big numbers in the league the past 2 years probably wouldn’t be a bad use for it

Maybe he will go to BAMA and get tutu benched. I am sure staff is aware and capable of evaluating if taking for 1 season is worth it. Still need some depth at LB.

Having the leading tacklers from Texas and Ole Miss for a season wouldn't be too shabby at LB.
Nothing really to do with the kid but anyway,

An interesting thing I've learned from following a couple analytics guys on Twitter is how overvalued tackle-stuffing off-ball linebackers are, especially with how the game is changing. Apparently that position is becoming one of those positions where it is usually an awful idea to take too high in the draft (like RBs and I guess FBs in the past).

I feel like we've seen this first hand with Toots and Bituli. Productive box-score players, but their coverage skills killed us time and time again.

An interesting thing I've learned from following a couple analytics guys on Twitter is how overvalued tackle-stuffing off-ball linebackers are, especially with how the game is changing. Apparently that position is becoming one of those positions where it is usually an awful idea to take too high in the draft (like RBs and I guess FBs in the past).

I feel like we've seen this first hand with Toots and Bituli. Productive box-score players, but their coverage skills killed us time and time again.

Agree. The spread/RPO O's with uptempo have made the run focused big LB's valuable only in short yardage and specific formations. Too limited of use to invest big on the personnel side.

We would be crazy not to grab Jones if we have the opportunity with that experience and production. We need tacklers and faster players.

Henry To'oto'o and J Banks are great athletes that can run. But you can run 4.3 and it won't matter if you can't anticipate the pass pick. Wheel routes and slants via pick should be illegal imo. As should RPO. But the powers that be want offense more in the sport. Justin Coleman and Cam Sutton were really good at anticipating and fighting through picks.

I think 5-1 or 3-3-5 is the best defense to have. You need 5 DB on the field 80 percent of the time. Preferably all that have CB ability....

Henry To'oto'o and J Banks are great athletes that can run. But you can run 4.3 and it won't matter if you can't anticipate the pass pick. Wheel routes and slants via pick should be illegal imo. As should RPO. But the powers that be want offense more in the sport. Justin Coleman and Cam Sutton were really good at anticipating and fighting through picks.

I think 5-1 or 3-3-5 is the best defense to have. You need 5 DB on the field 80 percent of the time. Preferably all that have CB ability....
Could you explain what a pick in a slant or wheel route is that you think should be illegal?

Picks are illegal in college football. Finding a competent official that will call the pick is another thing.

Could you explain what a pick in a slant or wheel route is that you think should be illegal?
A pick occurs when two guys, on offense, run a crossing pattern in front of two defenders resulting in one of the defenders being taken out of the play. It usually occurs close to the line of scrimmage resulting in a pretty decent gain if the receiver catches the pass. In basketball, it would be comparable to a moving screen, which is also illegal.

Picks are illegal in college football. Finding a competent official that will call the pick is another thing.
Picks are legal.... you just can’t make it look obvious..... from watching JH’s offense.... it looks like he runs pick plays from time to time.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
A pick occurs when two guys, on offense, run a crossing pattern in front of two defenders resulting in one of the defenders being taken out of the play. It usually occurs close to the line of scrimmage resulting in a pretty decent gain if the receiver catches the pass. In basketball, it would be comparable to a moving screen, which is also illegal.
Thanks! My husband who played basketball in high school is always saying, "That's a pick."

He was a bright spot on one of the worst defenses ive ever seen in my life. Hes a solid player. Good luck wherever he ends up.

VN Store

Back