Vitello Article In Today's Knoxville News Sentinel

White wasn’t able to stop Frost from going to Nebraska and I see this as a similar type move. I don’t think anyone holds white at fault for that “failure”and nor should they

Reactions: TX2TN
White wasn’t able to stop Frost from going to Nebraska and I see this as a similar type move. I don’t think anyone holds white at fault for that “failure”and nor should they

I mean this is apples and oranges is it not? Of course no one blames White for failing to keep Scott Frost at UCF. It's UCF. It's a Group of 5 program that literally has no shot at the College Football Playoffs in its current iteration, even if they run the table.

Vitello is already in the SEC. Tennessee has a ton of money. The state of Tennessee is a relatively fertile ground for baseball recruits, and he has plenty of other fertile recruiting grounds just a short drive away.

I'm not saying TV will stay, who knows what he will do. I just don't think it's as simple as "There is nothing DW can do. It's out of his control." There is plenty DW can do.

I just don’t think it’s that’s simple regarding who wants to be where. I don’t blame any coach for wanting to go to a program that gives them more of an opportunity to have sustained elite success.

As much as we don’t want to admit it here Tenn is never going to be a top SEC baseball job unless drastic changes are made with the ncaa and scholarship structures. A&M is a much easier job than Tenn and Salary and facilities are irrelevant
I don’t necessarily see it as an infinitely better job. Yes, they’ve been to Regionals more than us and you have to get their first to get to Omaha but their Omaha history mirrors ours and is worse in terms of wins/finishes. They have a nicer facility; they do in football too. They have more $; they always have. They have TX talent and bigger population to recruit from; they always have. Texas AM has had every resource known to man for an infinite # of years and things consistently fail to matriculate for them in all sports. They haven’t seen the pits like we have in many if any sports but there’s no excuse for them to be a middle of the pack program in basically every sport on campus like they have been. Something just doesn’t click over there no matter how much $ they throw at “can’t miss” coaches.

Maybe it’s the weirdly, cultish culture of the school or the milkmen in place of cheerleaders, I don’t know.

I would say I have more to lose than anyone here if he leaves and yet I could not blame him if UT does not step up and make some clear advances quickly. I could not believe that we did not bring in bleachers down the left field line for the Arkansas game and will be stunned if it does not happen before regional. You have had 2 weeks to get them in place because we have known for 2 weeks that we were guaranteed to host regional. I don't think you can blame a coach for bettering himself and his staff. That's the guy I want coaching my kid is the one who cares about others. I don't think he will leave for $100K but some are saying the LSU job could pay twice what he is making and maybe TAMU is the same some have alluded to.
I believe it is the other way around. If we want him, we will do what it takes to keep him. If not, then we are showing the world where UT sees baseball. He has done his part and made baseball relevant.
Absolutely, and now it is up to TN to decide where they want to go from here. Do our part to prove we want to keep him, then if he leaves, at least we were aggressive but he still wanted out. Nothing can be done about that but it proves we want to win when the next coach comes along.
Go Vols!!

Reactions: Volfan1000
I mean this is apples and oranges is it not? Of course no one blames White for failing to keep Scott Frost at UCF. It's UCF. It's a Group of 5 program that literally has no shot at the College Football Playoffs in its current iteration, even if they run the table.

Vitello is already in the SEC. Tennessee has a ton of money. The state of Tennessee is a relatively fertile ground for baseball recruits, and he has plenty of other fertile recruiting grounds just a short drive away.

I'm not saying TV will stay, who knows what he will do. I just don't think it's as simple as "There is nothing DW can do. It's out of his control." There is plenty DW can do.

I say UCF to Nebraska is a step up but a smaller one

Same thing I’d say about tenn to A&M

I’d also say UCF will be in the college football playoffs before Nebraska. Keep in mind it’s not going to be 4 teams much longer

I say UCF to Nebraska is a step up but a smaller one

Same thing I’d say about tenn to A&M

I’d also say UCF will be in the college football playoffs before Nebraska. Keep in mind it’s not going to be 4 teams much longer

I do not want to get off-topic, but come on Bruin. Really?

Nebraska is a HUGE step up from UCF. It's not even close. UCF is a flash-in-the-pan Group of 5 program. Nebraska is in the Big 10 and has far more history and resources at its disposal. To compare TN/TAMU as the same step is a bit drastic, IMO.

There is a major difference in the ability to win national championships at UCF and Nebraska. There is a minuscule difference between TAMU and TN. It's like our own fanbase thinks we're LA Tech lol.

A couple weeks ago, I heard an interview with Mike Morgan (SEC/ESPN baseball announcer) talking about CV and his success at TN. He said that before CV took the job, several people advised him against it citing exactly what you mentioned above, that "TN is never going to be a top SEC baseball job" and also that he could never win here, that UT didn't have a commitment to baseball, that LNS was among the worst baseball stadiums in the SEC, etc.

He took the job anyway and look where we are 4 years into his coaching tenure. He's proving that Tennessee can be right with the top baseball programs in the league.

In my opinion, TN can be top SEC baseball job IF the UT athletic department and administration makes a firm long term commitment to invest in the program. With the exception of Vanderbilt, all SEC schools have to wrestle with NCAA and scholarship structure.

Right on. Oddly enough no one was saying that about the baseball program in the 90s! If not for Mike Hamilton, the program likely would not have slid so much and been ignored. Also people forget Lindsey Nelson Stadium was a huge upgrade when it was built.... it has served its time and needs to be demolished and rebuilt! I understand that CTV’s point about wanting to have the stadium stay on campus however I think that’s also overrated! Do you think Memphis High would rather play on campus or play in an NBA arena? Same goes for baseball!

I do not want to get off-topic, but come on Bruin. Really?

Nebraska is a HUGE step up from UCF. It's not even close. UCF is a flash-in-the-pan Group of 5 program. Nebraska is in the Big 10 and has far more history and resources at its disposal. To compare TN/TAMU as the same step is a bit drastic, IMO.

There is a major difference in the ability to win national championships at UCF and Nebraska. There is a minuscule difference between TAMU and TN. It's like our own fanbase thinks we're LA Tech lol.

Jmo but I don’t think Nebraska is a football program that can ever regain their prominence. I just don’t think the recruiting blueprint is workable anymore.

I’d bet UCF goes to a playoff before them. Of course I’ve lost bets before lol

Just spoke with my Texas A&M friend. He is high up Administration guy so I will not name names. He just told me that they had they're #1 in their sights, and it was NOT Tony V.

Now, I'm very nervous that it IS Tony V. ! Well crap.

The way things have been going in the UTAD for the past decade I wouldn't be surprised to open tomorrow's paper and find out Vitello is gone.

Blake Toppmeyer Column.

Synopsis of the article is that Vitello is running the best sports program currently at UT and that his $600.000 salary places him in the middle of the pack among SEC Coaches.

The improvements to LNS could take a few years but Tennessee should give Vitello and his staff raises to show their financial commitment to him.

Terrific read.

Up his salary to 1 mill a year, take care of his assistants, and build a damn stadium that doesn’t resemble a mausoleum. He’s the Matt Campbell of college baseball right now.

very true. I’ve never understood the whole “if they want to be here they will stay.” I like my current job a lot. I love the people I work with. I’m proud of my accomplishments and what I’ve built here, but if someone else comes and offers me 200k more I’m gone. Vitello isn’t married. No kids. Nothing to tie him to the area. It will take a lot less to lure him away than we think, IMO.

Everyone keeps saying we gave him his first shot at Head coach. We'll see if loyalty is still a thing or just some fairy tale unicorn.

It appears that White had little affect on Frost committing career suicide.

Sometimes it's hard to go home. However, even with "career suicide" he still became a millionaire. Sign me up for that kind of failure. I won't cry to hard for him tonight. Dang guidance counselor.

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
nf-iRj.gif

We just hire Childress and we’re probably better off.

VN Store

Back