Lady Vols Softball Team Gets Worse Each Year

Surely everyone has seen enough of the Weekley's. They had numerous years with top recruited classes and it did not translate to on the field play. Keeping them and hoping that recruiting solves the problem is not going to get it done. They are not working hard enough as head coaches. Not assessing talent correctly, poor game planning, poor game decisions (i.e. pitching to the Alabama slugger late in game). I could go on, but most importantly I do not see the fire from our programs coaches like you do from the younger coaches. Sure Karen questions a few calls, but she is not a motivator of players. Just look at Patty Gasso. This team had a nice comeback last week, but look at the Florida team - they have had like 10 or more walk-offs or last inning rallies. In softball it has always been hard for teams to close out games in the last inning. They had the top of the order up last night and go 3 and out.
You don't just fire long tenured successful coaches but the AD needs to encourage a retirement so the program can move on. Did anyone see the article on Yahoo slamming the program for firing a women's golf coach because she had always made the NCAA tournament. If we were to fire the Weekley's it would definitely be a black eye. However, a previous comment about the AD giving the Weekley's what they need to be more successful is BS. They have top 10 softball facilities and fan support in the country. Why is Vitello getting it done with some of the worst facilities and traditionally poor fan support. Need I say more.
Successful coaches work within the talents of recruits. Good coaches realize the player they recruited got where they are because of their talents and style of hitting and/or pitching.
TN tries to change everything that made them successful, hitters swing and stance. Pitchers everything from grip to pitches.
Ever notice how many good players transfer? And are very successful elsewhere?
People would be surprised at how many great player threatened to leave and were promised the world to stay.
Until the coaching staff stops playing favorites and allows every player the chance to prove themselves nothing is going to change.
Recruiting for Vols is easy, retention is the issue. Vols have a great faculty and some of the best fan bases.

Marc is actually Ralph’s son, and he’s only a volunteer assistant. It’s the same role Madison Shipman and India Chiles played in years past, in addition to him being in the same role several years ago, prior to him being the coach at King’s Academy.
My dad was a great pilot but Delta hasn’t offered me a job! nepotism 101

I’m sure she does. Good looking prospect
I don't follow her team close just what her mother posts. Looks like in the playoff game she lost she still had 17 strikeouts. The other teams with smart coaches walk her all the time. They were not generating a lot of offense in their playoff games.

Reactions: tim
I don't follow her team close just what her mother posts. Looks like in the playoff game she lost she still had 17 strikeouts. The other teams with smart coaches walk her all the time. They were not generating a lot of offense in their playoff games.

Better gauge will be this summer playing 18U against better competition with more eyes on her.

VN Store

Back