Lady Vols Softball Team Gets Worse Each Year

This team was only a second pitcher away from looking like an entirely different team. Probably not a National Championship contender, but certainly capable of getting to OkCity.

I don’t think a second pitcher would have made any difference. If we can’t score, what good is having shutdown pitchers?

This team was only a second pitcher away from looking like an entirely different team. Probably not a National Championship contender, but certainly capable of getting to OkCity.

If you think our only issue was backup pitching, you weren’t paying attention. Our offense was anemic against decent pitching, let alone good pitching.

Reactions: TJVol95 and Majors
If you think our only issue was backup pitching, you weren’t paying attention. Our offense was anemic against decent pitching, let alone good pitching.

Did I say it was the only issue? No. But it was the biggest issue IMO. Good pitching negates hitting...both ways.

And it’s not “backup pitching” that is needed. It is a quality second starter.

Some of you need to learn some reading comprehension skills.

Did I say it was the only issue? No. But it was the biggest issue IMO. Good pitching negates hitting...both ways.

And it’s not “backup pitching” that is needed. It is a quality second starter.

And some need to be more specific.

And you need to learn to get your head out of your rear end. We scored one run against JMU to put us into the losers' bracket. That's not on the pitching, that's the offense. Ashley Rogers had a 1.32 ERA on the season and still lost ten games. Let that sink in and then say the biggest issue wasn't offense. She took ten of the team's 15 losses. It's not like all our losses were with Ashley out.

You said we would've been an "entirely different team" with a second pitcher. That's a totally idiotic, braindead, asinine statement. Given that we averaged 2.4 runs per game in our losses, and only averaged 3.7 runs per game in conference, I don't see how TF that would be true, unless you think we could've magically held every team we played to scoreless or one or two runs with the addition of a pitcher, which isn't realistic in 2021. Even in the games where pitching broke down and gave up more runs, we didn't score more than a couple, except vs. Georgia in extras and against Bama in the SECT or the last game against Liberty. Still, in those last two games, the putrid offense was as much of a problem as the pitching. Then there's the issue with the team giving up 37 unearned runs on the season and the team having absolutely ZERO senior leadership.

It's bad when a team has so many glaring weaknesses that fans are arguing over what the biggest one is.

And you need to learn to get your head out of your rear end. We scored one run against JMU to put us into the losers' bracket. That's not on the pitching, that's the offense. Ashley Rogers had a 1.32 ERA on the season and still lost ten games. Let that sink in and then say the biggest issue wasn't offense. She took ten of the team's 15 losses. It's not like all our losses were with Ashley out.

You said we would've been an "entirely different team" with a second pitcher. That's a totally idiotic, braindead, asinine statement. Given that we averaged 2.4 runs per game in our losses, and only averaged 3.7 runs per game in conference, I don't see how TF that would be true, unless you think we could've magically held every team we played to scoreless or one or two runs with the addition of a pitcher, which isn't realistic in 2021. Even in the games where pitching broke down and gave up more runs, we didn't score more than a couple, except vs. Georgia in extras and against Bama in the SECT or the last game against Liberty. Still, in those last two games, the putrid offense was as much of a problem as the pitching. Then there's the issue with the team giving up 37 unearned runs on the season and the team having absolutely ZERO senior leadership.

It's bad when a team has so many glaring weaknesses that fans are arguing over what the biggest one is.

It’s a whole lot easier to add one player than to change and entire roster...especially with the scholly limits in softball.

Last edited:
200.gif

It’s a whole lot easier to add one player than to change and entire roster...especially with the scholly limits in softball.

And? That’s not the topic at hand. Yes they can improve on the pitching staff faster but the question is how much good will it do when your offense is garbage?

Last edited:
And? That’s not the topic at hand. Yes they can improve on the pitching staff faster but the question is how much good will it do when your offense is garbage?

Jesus Christ could become the pitching coach and it still wouldn't change a thing perception wise as long as the top stays the same. I'm not hating on them--I like them personally a lot. But the cake is baked on what happens to pitchers at UT.

Reactions: volman128
Wow... new AD is ok with a regional loss like that. The loss is a coaching issue.

DeerPark is hardly ever wrong....

Karen has probably been waiting a long time to take over completely....And yes, it did seem she was totally in charge already...

Whomever called for our pitcher to pitch to Alabama's big hitter, has a lot to answer for....Just blame it on Ralph.....LOL.

So, you just like to complain. Okay, I get it. Carry on....

So, you just like to complain. Okay, I get it. Carry on....

No you just like to carry water for this garbage coaching staff and say stupid stuff like "this team would've been entirely different with an extra pitcher" like that was the team's only (or main) weakness, and then make comments about "reading comprehension". If you want to basically call someone stupid, take a look in the mirror next time.

My literal point was that what's wrong with this team won't be an easy fix, and you proved that with one of your post yet you're simultaneously arguing against it. Don't take your frustration with the program that the COACHES created out on me.

in an article, that someone posted on here, she was noted clocking in the 70’s this season.
She throws hard, but articles and social media post are inflated with juiced up guns. Best pitcher in travel isn't touching 70MPH but she's close and she's a 2023 headed to Florida. I've see Karlyn throw many times and she is consistently low to mid 60's. She has the tools and frame to get there but alot of kids seem be throwing 5-10 MPH faster than where they truly are.

Reactions: WizardofOz
She throws hard, but articles and social media post are inflated with juiced up guns. Best pitcher in travel isn't touching 70MPH but she's close and she's a 2023 headed to Florida. I've see Karlyn throw many times and she is consistently low to mid 60's. She has the tools and frame to get there but alot of kids seem be throwing 5-10 MPH faster than where they truly are.

wow, I didn't know radar could be juiced....softball,,,for basketball it is the "stretchable/shrinking measuring tape". (and measured in shoes)....In BB there are a lot of 6'4"s who turn out to be 6' (on a good day)

Pitching speed is overrated in softball. Balls tend to have more movement in the low to mid 60s than the high 60s to upper 70s. Not always, but it's generally the case.

wow, I didn't know radar could be juiced....softball,,,for basketball it is the "stretchable/shrinking measuring tape". (and measured in shoes)....In BB there are a lot of 6'4"s who turn out to be 6' (on a good day)
very similar comparison indeed. Can she get to 70 absolutely. Seen her play over the years and as I've said many times here, she will need time to adjust. Has the tool no doubt.

You don't necessarily have to change a roster to improve run production, but you do have to improve hitting, and that basically boils down to two things... (1) a better understanding of hitting discipline (the situation, the pitcher, the pitch count, etc) and (2) better mechanics. Hitting is much like golf where you may see all types of swings, but there's still a few things that must happen in order to be a good consistent hitter (e.g. balance, proper set up, transition, among others). I can't remember which players it was (I think there were at least 2 or 3), but they would get in the box and be in hitting position before the pitcher even stepped on the mound! So they were holding that position (knees flexed, hands high, etc) for a good 10 or more seconds before the pitch was even thrown. That's hitting 101... keep your muscles relaxed until the pitcher starts their motion.

You don't necessarily have to change a roster to improve run production, but you do have to improve hitting, and that basically boils down to two things... (1) a better understanding of hitting discipline (the situation, the pitcher, the pitch count, etc) and (2) better mechanics. Hitting is much like golf where you may see all types of swings, but there's still a few things that must happen in order to be a good consistent hitter (e.g. balance, proper set up, transition, among others). I can't remember which players it was (I think there were at least 2 or 3), but they would get in the box and be in hitting position before the pitcher even stepped on the mound! So they were holding that position (knees flexed, hands high, etc) for a good 10 or more seconds before the pitch was even thrown. That's hitting 101... keep your muscles relaxed until the pitcher starts their motion.

Our hitters seemed to be reactive rather than aggressive. By that I mean they didn't seem to have a pitch in mind to look for hitters counts, such as fastball, etc. They seemed to be looking more for a pitch in a certain location, and then if they got that they were swinging, however, that made them vulnerable to speed changes, and they often looked out of sync swinging at pitches way out in front or way behind them. And then, as they got deeper into the count, and especially in pitchers counts, they seemed helpless in many at bats.

VN Store

Back