Matt Campbell turned down $68 million dollars

He has his best team coming back next year. They return 20/22 starters and have a legitimate chance of winning the B12 and making the playoff. The NFL opportunity is always going to be there.

Reactions: UTwild82
At some point, money being made is "enough" and it's about happiness for the coach and his family. Guy is likely a lifer there and personally, I find it refreshing. Kudos to him.
No chance that he’s a lifer at ISU. He interviewed for and would have taken the Tennessee job in 2017 and the Ohio State job in 2018.

Reactions: eaglevol
I don't see why you wouldn't take it. Even if it's a **** show, and you get canned, you would be given another huge contract by whatever big 5 schools just fired their coach.
Not to mention Detroit would buy you out of the contract you signed with them. It's a no-lose situation, really.

Reactions: volfanhill
I'm a loyal person, too, but not so loyal that I wouldn't take a $4.5 million raise. And even if he fails, he just gets another college job making big money. It'd probably even raise his recruiting profile (like it did for Saban). No one would hold it against him.

In fact, it probably works out better for him if he fails; he spends 3 years in the NFL, collects $68 mil, and then gets paid $5-6 mil for another college job.

Must really love Ames.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Last edited:

VN Store

Back