Team Depth

Or play the condescending Gator fan.... again.

To answer the question. The same as every other team outside the current top tier. A combination of demonstrated performance, recruit evals, and confidence/hope that UT's new staff will develop and coach better than the last one.

Seriously?

If you think it's condescension, I'm sorry. But, how can anyone honestly speak to the talent level of the team (in a positive light) based on "watching them play" or "demonstrated performance".

If I tried to argue that a Florida team that had gone 3-7 and had been a consistent loser for a decade lost 20 guys to a transfer portal on top of the normal attrition to the NFL draft or graduation had more talent than several of their opponents based on "watching them play" or "demonstrated performance", you'd say I was delusional.

A lot of these guys have barely played in the first place.

Reactions: Longshank
Aren’t we just a fun bunch to be around. From reading a thread like this, there are several that would be best served to cancel their SEC network feed. It might be better for their TVs, blood pressure and neighbor’s innocent ears.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
You might want to look at the title of this thread.
It's talking about ONE aspect of the team.
You acting like Bubba Gump Pruitt is still on the sidelines not knowing a damn thing about offense and it's importance in the modern game.

You acting like we don't have talent at all while everyone else is just good to go.

You have not a clue about any of the other teams we face, and not enough about your own team.

Seriously?

If you think it's condescension, I'm sorry. But, how can anyone honestly speak to the talent level of the team (in a positive light) based on "watching them play" or "demonstrated performance".

If I tried to argue that a Florida team that had gone 3-7 and had been a consistent loser for a decade lost 20 guys to a transfer portal on top of the normal attrition to the NFL draft or graduation had more talent than several of their opponents based on "watching them play" or "demonstrated performance", you'd say I was delusional.

Or you could look to all the transfers from that 3-7 team that are now starting for BETTER programs.

Yeah, there's nothing delusional about that you troll.! That's a real thing...

Did they suddenly become good after leaving Knoxville?

Alabama's starting LB and Oklahoma's starting RB in 2021 both played with UT in 2020.

Lord help us but the Gator is correct.
Name any anticipated starter on our current roster that Bama or Georgia would trade us one of their starters for.
No he's not...
Alabama just took one of our starters.
And we have one of UGA's former starters.
We had a trash head coach who is gone now!!

Gaytor99 just likes talking trash to Vol fans. He tries to come off as a reasonable poster, but then he'll make a sly dig or two to float his opinions.

Or you could look to all the transfers from that 3-7 team that are now starting for BETTER programs.

Yeah, there's nothing delusional about that you troll.! That's a real thing...

Did they suddenly become good after leaving Knoxville?

Alabama's starting LB and Oklahoma's starting RB in 2021 both played with UT in 2020.

That's part of the point. Those guys left and the talent has improved?

For sake of argument, it may have. For sake of argument, Tennessee may be very talented.

There just isn't any evidence of it.

Pruitt is gone man.

When are you all going to understand that??

Kentucky
Mizzou
South Carolina
Pittsburgh
Ole Miss
Aren't deep either.

Mizzou and Ole Miss are the only one with a QB
Vandy
Bowling Green
TENN tech
South Alabama

Out of those 9 you think we win only 4???
Sheesh....
Kentucky and ole miss are likely both losses

Reactions: HSTVol
It's talking about ONE aspect of the team.
You acting like Bubba Gump Pruitt is still on the sidelines not knowing a damn thing about offense and it's importance in the modern game.

You acting like we don't have talent at all while everyone else is just good to go.

You have not a clue about any of the other teams we face, and not enough about your own team.
ESPN Power Index rated the 2020 Vols #19, preseason.
ESPN Power Index rates the 2021 Vols #48, preseason.

Missouri is #34 and Kentucky is #39. Of the SEC, we only have a ranking above SCe #68 and Vandy #93.

Of course, ESPN doesn't have your talent, I'm guessing, for evaluating football?

Pruitt is gone man.

When are you all going to understand that??

Kentucky
Mizzou
South Carolina
Pittsburgh
Ole Miss
Aren't deep either.

Mizzou and Ole Miss are the only one with a QB
Vandy
Bowling Green
TENN tech
South Alabama

Out of those 9 you think we win only 4???
Does not matter what anyone thinks, once the season starts games will be won or lost on the field.

Man ppl on here kill me... y’all do realize a bad Qb can make a team look worse and a good Qb can make a team look a lot better than they are... we are not as bad as a typical 3-7 team it was plenty of talent on both sides of the ball last year the Qb literally made the team moral low... Kentucky game we move the ball all up and down the field but offense gives up 2 pick 6s and a crazy fumble that likely woulda been a walk in TD... that alone makes the defense not wanna play as hard... when you know you got a guy that will win you the game if you get stops then it’s a whole lot easier to play motivated and make stops... this team has 9 games that are possible Ws I to say we only win 4 and base it solely on last year record is crazy... DL depth is not thin... garner get that DL playing good the whole defense will benefit... defense will give up some points but the offense will be able to score much easier this year... a lot of speed and size on offense with 4 legit Qb candidates and a Qb guru head coach staff... Tennessee should win 6 and I have us down for 7-5 but won’t be surprised at 8-4 at all... y’all can have bvs all you want but don’t act like we just playing with bums it’s a lot of talent on this football team and if CJH track record holds we will be a solid team this year.

Man ppl on here kill me... y’all do realize a bad Qb can make a team look worse and a good Qb can make a team look a lot better than they are... we are not as bad as a typical 3-7 team it was plenty of talent on both sides of the ball last year the Qb literally made the team moral low... Kentucky game we move the ball all up and down the field but offense gives up 2 pick 6s and a crazy fumble that likely woulda been a walk in TD... that alone makes the defense not wanna play as hard... when you know you got a guy that will win you the game if you get stops then it’s a whole lot easier to play motivated and make stops... this team has 9 games that are possible Ws I to say we only win 4 and base it solely on last year record is crazy... DL depth is not thin... garner get that DL playing good the whole defense will benefit... defense will give up some points but the offense will be able to score much easier this year... a lot of speed and size on offense with 4 legit Qb candidates and a Qb guru head coach staff... Tennessee should win 6 and I have us down for 7-5 but won’t be surprised at 8-4 at all... y’all can have bvs all you want but don’t act like we just playing with bums it’s a lot of talent on this football team and if CJH track record holds we will be a solid team this year.
People just don't want to realize that we were as bad as we were because of the QB play.

We were 2-0 with a halftime lead at No.3 Georgia with OK QB play.

We were a top 25 team with decent QB play easily. We would have beaten UK, ARK, Auburn with the JG we got in the first 2 and a half games.

Yeah the slant thing was an issue, but we were decent defending the run and other things. It was a bend but don't break D if the offense gave them ANYTHING to work with.

We have lost a lot, but we are still bringing in a good recruiting class plus a transfer to every position of need and we aren't even done adding on yet.

Just watch the spring game. The offense is going to do a complete 180. We actually have QB's now.

If Heup is worth a darn as a coach he should find a way to win 6 games on a pretty easy schedule.

In what world has watching these guys play football been evidence that these guys are extremely talented
? What other way of determining talent do you have? If you’re referring to them being apart of horrific seasons, you can chalk that up to awful coaching. Hyatt, Beckwith, Bailey, and many others have shown flashes.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Seriously?

Hate to admit it but this is 100% correct.. and this happens on this board every offseason. Example: People are already proclaiming our RBs as being more talented than last year, based on what? Practice? The spring game?

Hopefully we can get off to a strong start with our soft schedule early but let's be real here.

Reactions: Rooster1
Hate to admit it but this is 100% correct.. and this happens on this board every offseason. Example: People are already proclaiming our RBs as being more talented than last year, based on what? Practice? The spring game?

Hopefully we can get off to a strong start with our soft schedule early but let's be real here.
Go ahead. Your reality doesn’t take precedence.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
ON D we have plenty of debt.....We owe a lot of teams......
On O we have pocket presents
by Xmas with a Bowl bid.

Depth has been our primary issue during our decline. The constant staff turnover makes it difficult to develop the bottom half of your roster.

That's part of the point. Those guys left and the talent has improved?

For sake of argument, it may have. For sake of argument, Tennessee may be very talented.

There just isn't any evidence of it.
I think the talent was better last season but also that last year was coached into being a 3 win team. We have talent on the team but our depth lacks experience.... we will see if it matures or not.

ESPN Power Index rated the 2020 Vols #19, preseason.
ESPN Power Index rates the 2021 Vols #48, preseason.

Missouri is #34 and Kentucky is #39. Of the SEC, we only have a ranking above SCe #68 and Vandy #93.

Of course, ESPN doesn't have your talent, I'm guessing, for evaluating football?
No they actually don't.

Since I've actually scouted before for a living.
Thanks for asking for clarification. That's decent of you...

VN Store

Back