2022 TN Forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield

Determining that he is "30 ranked" is extremely subjective...even more than usual in this case because of the reclassification. He's #20 on 247, and was a top-10 player in the 2022 class. Six months ago, Rivals had him as a top-10 player in 2022, as well. Is the '21 class so much better that it would warrant dropping him 20+ spots due to reclassification?
I thought the 30-35 comment odd as well. That would knock him well out of 5-star status.

Sports illustrated listed BHH as a player who impressed. This is what they said:

Brandon Huntley-Hatfield: Last month, Huntley-Hatfield not only committed to Tennessee, but reclassified to the 2021 class; the move makes even more sense after watching him operate at the Iverson Classic last weekend. In a game full of versatile bigs, Huntley-Hatfield, who finished the game with 14 points, more than held his own and showed flashes of dominance in spurts all weekend. Expect Huntley-Hatfield to log big minutes and big a key contributor for Rick Barnes next season.

Espn+ had an article mentioning BHH as well from the iverson classic but couldn't copy and paste it. Basically compared him to Reggie Perry

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeGoose
I don't care where he ranks in the 2021 class vs 2022. I care that he comes out and hopefully plays at least at a Jarnell Stokes freshman year level. 10-7.5 type play in the post by someone who isn't 6'5/6'6 is something we need. I'm hoping he can defend well.

Thats a pretty lofty expectation
It is, but not totally unreasonable, either. Not sure BHH is entirely committed to being a monster on the boards, though, and Barnes doesn't really emphasize the importance of owning the glass as a philosophy, either. Cuonzo Martin preached rebounding, and in his years, here, we were annually one of the best rebounding teams in the SEC, even with smaller frontcourts (Maymon and Stokes, for example). From 2012-2014, we finished 3rd, 4th, and 3rd. In Barnes's tenure, we have finished 5th, 8th, 5th, 8th, 10th, and 10th.

It is, but not totally unreasonable, either. Not sure BHH is entirely committed to being a monster on the boards, though, and Barnes doesn't really emphasize the importance of owning the glass as a philosophy, either. Cuonzo Martin preached rebounding, and in his years, here, we were annually one of the best rebounding teams in the SEC, even with smaller frontcourts (Maymon and Stokes, for example). From 2012-2014, we finished 3rd, 4th, and 3rd. In Barnes's tenure, we have finished 5th, 8th, 5th, 8th, 10th, and 10th.

Maymon and stokes weren’t tall, but they were thick. Really enjoyed watching them repeatedly seal their men out of position.

I dream of a scenario where that final spot we have isn’t available because Banchero committed to us over Duke, we have Powell, Chandler, Banchero, And BHH at the same time.
It’d certainly be a nice time for Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas to be brought to their knees for the incredible amount of cheating that has occurred there over the last 10-15 years. I’d love to see Coach K completely exposed for what he really is.

I don't really think 10/7 from a potential 1 and done post player on a team that brings back virtually nothing in the post outside Fulkerson, is a lofty expectation. Grant was 12.6/6 as a freshman for Barnes.
As a freshman Grant was the teams top contributor and primary scorer. This years team will not likely be a similar situation for BHH.

As a freshman Grant was the teams top contributor and primary scorer. This years team will not likely be a similar situation for BHH.
Technically, Robert Hubbs was that team's primary scorer.

Our current team lost 3 of their top 6 scorers from 2020-21. Grant's freshman season in 2016-17, Tennessee also had lost 3 of their top 6 scorers.

Our returning leading scorer (Victor Bailey at 10.9 ppg) might not even start. It isn't like there are a ton of alpha scorers on this returning roster that BHH will have to defer to. In fact, you could argue that was a chief weakness amongst last year's group. If BHH has it in his mind to take over as a primary offensive threat, I don't see any of the returning players stepping in his way. His greatest obstacle in that endeavor could be where his level of commitment to being a great defensive player lies. If he can be an adequate defender, then he's going to get playing time. Grant averaged 25 mins/gm as a freshman. No reason to think that BHH can't come somewhere close to that.

Reactions: VolArmy74
Technically, Robert Hubbs was that team's primary scorer.

Our current team lost 3 of their top 6 scorers from 2020-21. Grant's freshman season in 2016-17, Tennessee also had lost 3 of their top 6 scorers.

Our returning leading scorer (Victor Bailey at 10.9 ppg) might not even start. It isn't like there are a ton of alpha scorers on this returning roster that BHH will have to defer to. In fact, you could argue that was a chief weakness amongst last year's group. If BHH has it in his mind to take over as a primary offensive threat, I don't see any of the returning players stepping in his way. His greatest obstacle in that endeavor could be where his level of commitment to being a great defensive player lies. If he can be an adequate defender, then he's going to get playing time. Grant averaged 25 mins/gm as a freshman. No reason to think that BHH can't come somewhere close to that.
Bailey might not start but neither could BHH, potentially. Considering our depth I see a struggle for playing time, let alone having any one of our guys be the primary scoring threat, and for freshman at that. He may be a very good player but I’m going to pump the brakes on expecting volume numbers from him. Will hope the be pleasantly surprised and try not to set too high of expectations for these kids.

Last edited:
People had too high of expectations for Scotty Hopson. Hubbs and JJJ too. Generally speaking, after you get past the top 5 there is a lot of variability in production from even highly rated recruits in their first year. I saw an analysis last year about it, plotting out recruiting ranks over the past 10 years vs freshman year efficiency ratings. Outside of the top couple recruits it really descends into highly variable outcomes

Reactions: AngryButchJones

VN Store

Back