'19 NJ ILB Juwan Mitchell (Texas Transfer) [Tennessee commit]

Confused. Keep seeing that we need 2 inside linebackers. But then everyone posts 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. Is that not 2 or 3 LBs playing? We don't need 4 with 2 inside there do we?

Good question SaS and some posters have replied. Below is a good, basic link to a 3-3-5 discussion.

3-3-5 Fundamentals | mgoblog

This is just speculation. In this scenario I would see Mitchell as the Mike. J-Banks is strong and fast with a good nose for the ball, so I would have him as strong side OLB. J-Banks is probably Coach Banks' Micah Parsons wannabe. They may even utilize both to do it at different times. But who plays the other OLB? Who are in the 3 deep depth chart as several posters have said? It gets murky.

In the 4-2-5, you have an edge rushing DE added and drop an OLB unless you have a guy or two that can play both competently, which is rare. One of the S is usually strong in run support. That presents a different depth issue. Less LB's needed, but the type of LB you need is important for the depth chart. Page is not an ILB as an example. He played it in the O/W game, but he doesn't have the physical attributes to play it well game after game IMO. He's an OLB.

You need both schemes to keep from being predictable and to match up better with opponents. Will leave the gap discussions out because how well guys handle the related techniques that are required determine the scheme used most and who you recruit to build depth. Suffice it to say we need more talent, minimal injuries, and no more stupid off the field stuff to happen.

Yup F THAT GUY if true. Absuing a kitten is worse than abusing an adult human. Completely and utterly helpless creature. F anyone like that to the moon and back. Should get legit jail time.
Wrong. I understand what you're trying to get at; but...wrong.

Reactions: VolsdeepVFL and tim
Are you really excusing animal abuse so we get an extra player on the team. Dudes a psychopath. Glad he is gone
No. I'm not excusing anything. He should be punished. I'm simply recognizing that human beings are worth more than animals. That includes Beasley. He didn't beat his girlfriend. He didn't rape anyone. He didn't beat a smaller guy for no reason. I mention those things because players have done them and remained on the team.

You don't know he's a "psychopath". You don't know if it was a stupid mistake or a pattern of behavior. You don't know anything except that he was accused of doing something. You have no idea what the circumstances were or what he actually did.

PS- I don't remember seeing him make a contribution and don't know if he would have on this team. You guys are just way over board on this mostly based on assumptions.

It’s actually how the majority of serial killers start. Small animals, things like that. Either way what he did was a felony. If it’s just brushed under the table then what’s the point of having law and order
That's true... and a tiny fraction of those who abuse animals graduate to serial killers.

Has he been convicted? I missed that. There was an allegation... and a WHOLE lot of speculation. I didn't see the conviction.

Who said anything about brushing it under the table? There is a WIDE range of things that can be done between "nothing" and kicking him off the team.... assuming he's not convicted of a felony.

Good question SaS and some posters have replied. Below is a good, basic link to a 3-3-5 discussion.

3-3-5 Fundamentals | mgoblog

This is just speculation. In this scenario I would see Mitchell as the Mike. J-Banks is strong and fast with a good nose for the ball, so I would have him as strong side OLB. J-Banks is probably Coach Banks' Micah Parsons wannabe. They may even utilize both to do it at different times. But who plays the other OLB? Who are in the 3 deep depth chart as several posters have said? It gets murky.

In the 4-2-5, you have an edge rushing DE added and drop an OLB unless you have a guy or two that can play both competently, which is rare. One of the S is usually strong in run support. That presents a different depth issue. Less LB's needed, but the type of LB you need is important for the depth chart. Page is not an ILB as an example. He played it in the O/W game, but he doesn't have the physical attributes to play it well game after game IMO. He's an OLB.

You need both schemes to keep from being predictable and to match up better with opponents. Will leave the gap discussions out because how well guys handle the related techniques that are required determine the scheme used most and who you recruit to build depth. Suffice it to say we need more talent, minimal injuries, and no more stupid off the field stuff to happen.
Thank you! That answered a lot of questions. So we will mainly play 3-3-5 but move to 4-2-5? Is 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 still possible?

Well he ain't HT. But he's more than serviceable as well. Like a Daniel Bituli, he will produce. Maybe not a major NFL prospect, but he will 100% be an important addition.

Even Texas fans didn't want him to go and admitted he was a solid, aggressive player. Just seemed to be a bit of a locker room problem guy and possible grade issues. But at this point at the LB position, we can hardly be picky.

Henry T is not an NFL prospect

Not tripping. Too small to plug the hole, too slow to cover. He wasn’t even a standout in SEC, don’t let your homerism cloud your judgement.
Same could be said about those feelings of abandonment you’ve got on display. He’ll be drafted no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: jp1
3. Juwan Mitchell will lead the Vols in tackles as he did at Texas.

Farrell’s take: FACT. The Vols lose a lot in the tackling department with Trevon Flowers returning as their top tackler at safety. Henry To’oto’o and Quavaris Crouch are gone and Mitchell will step right in. He’s not the longest linebacker in the world, but he’s excellent at taking the proper angles and wrapping up. His 62 tackles last season would have put him right with Flowers at No. 2 behind To’oto’o and you have to expect a better performance from the defensive front, which could call for less work for Flowers in run support. The Texas transfer is an impact player.

3. Juwan Mitchell will lead the Vols in tackles as he did at Texas.

Farrell’s take: FACT. The Vols lose a lot in the tackling department with Trevon Flowers returning as their top tackler at safety. Henry To’oto’o and Quavaris Crouch are gone and Mitchell will step right in. He’s not the longest linebacker in the world, but he’s excellent at taking the proper angles and wrapping up. His 62 tackles last season would have put him right with Flowers at No. 2 behind To’oto’o and you have to expect a better performance from the defensive front, which could call for less work for Flowers in run support. The Texas transfer is an impact player.
Dislike for quoting Ferrell. What a 8==> head

Thank you! That answered a lot of questions. So we will mainly play 3-3-5 but move to 4-2-5? Is 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 still possible?
That is very astute. Alot of people get emotional over those numbers. I think a better term for most people to read is situational. 1st down 2nd down and 3rd down. The players could be in a 4-2-5 on first down. 3rd down could be a 3-3-5. From the sounds and listening to coaches, even though it wasn't shown in spring game, they are going to be playing "hell bent" to get to quarterback or get in the backfield. That personal, is lighter and faster lbs. Should be intresting.

I hated watching AJ tackle. Such a big dude that always seemed to go high and try to throw the guy down vs lowering his shoulder and laying the hammer.

Both HT and AJ were run stoppers..AJ was also horrible in space but arguably the bright spot at the time on our Defense,same thing can be said with HT.I didn’t mind how AJ tackled much because once his paws got on you,you weren’t going anywhere so he did his job.

VN Store

Back