Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

With a year and a half of data from around the world, we can say that the risk for long-term complications in children is exceedingly low. I am fairly certain that there has not been a single negative pediatric outcome in our entire area. The article is a little misleading: MIS-C is an acute process and quite treatable. We have had a handful of those cases here (and I've seen it personally).

Stop it with all the arrogance...🙄🙄

Stop it with all the arrogance...🙄🙄
Haha.

If I can get serious here for a minute: I have spent my entire adult life taking care of children. Parents trust me because I treat my patients as if they were my own. In the past 12 months, I've had two kids admitted for suicide attempts, at least a handful admitted for inpatient psych care, deal with depression and anxiety on a near-daily basis, am unable to get kids appointments for mental health care due to lack of availability, and hear constantly from parents and teachers on the failure of "virtual" education. All the while, our entire practice has not had a single negative outcome from a CV infection.

It's obviously a real virus, and it can be frighteningly-dangerous in the elderly, at-risk, and the occasional average adult. However, the damage done to children by restrictions and school shutdowns FAR outweighs the miniscule risk they face from infection. With vaccine availability, it is time to return all of our children to normalcy. Their lives and future depend on it.

Haha.

If I can get serious here for a minute: I have spent my entire adult life taking care of children. Parents trust me because I treat my patients as if they were my own. In the past 12 months, I've had two kids admitted for suicide attempts, at least a handful admitted for inpatient psych care, deal with depression and anxiety on a near-daily basis, am unable to get kids appointments for mental health care due to lack of availability, and hear constantly from parents and teachers on the failure of "virtual" education. All the while, our entire practice has not had a single negative outcome from a CV infection.

It's obviously a real virus, and it can be frighteningly-dangerous in the elderly, at-risk, and the occasional average adult. However, the damage done to children by restrictions and school shutdowns FAR outweighs the miniscule risk they face from infection. With vaccine availability, it is time to return all of our children to normalcy. Their lives and future depend on it.

It’s well past time for all children to return to normalcy. This should have been done by the end of last summer.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Not to derail the convo, but we've actually had 5 cases of RSV in the past week. Haven't had one before that in 14 months.
Rsv is going around like crazy here. Pretty sure my daughter is on the back end of it with an ear infection as a prize. On cefdinir now so it's been a battle to get a 2 and a half year old to the potty.

In Jax, btw.

Correction it is augmentin

Last edited:
Reactions: kiddiedoc
I grew up in an era when you came to work if you could walk. Sick time was frowned upon......now guys get 6 weeks of paternity leave.

WHAT
THE
****?

As my grandmother used to say “If you’re sick you can get up and go to work and it will be gone in 7 days or you can lay in bed and it will be gone in a week, get your but up and go to work“.

Reactions: davethevol
I'm almost a month out from COVID, and I still don't feel fully recovered.

Mild symptoms? I have no fear of going around people. I have done that my whole life. Again, I have to live my life. I cannot and will not worry about what may or may not happen to someone. Especially with COVID.
You missed the point (and the 85% probability that you are contagious part.)
You said you would avoid crowds if you were showing symptoms and thought you were contagious.
My question was how severe do the symptoms have to be and how confident do you have to be that you are contagious?
Not worth belaboring the point which is.....you draw an arbitrary line at which point you will alter your behavior out of respect and concern for others' safety and wellbeing.
We all do, as we should. We just draw the line at different places and have different reactions to being told where that line should be and what the changes in behavior should entail. (even during times of a global pandemic)

Fauci tells US to ‘stop getting fixated on herd immunity’ as vaccinations hit 3m per day

Vaccine Refusal May Put Herd Immunity At Risk, Researchers Warn

Vaccines are helping bring down US Covid-19 numbers. But the virus is now hitting one group of Americans harder — CNN

Children Now Account For 22% Of New U.S. COVID Cases. Why Is That? — NPR

Just a few articles that should stimulate further investigation….

Pediatric case numbers are the same, adults are less due to vaccination. So of course the percentage will be up. But nice headline.

Same with hospitalizations in younger people. According to CDC website, numbers have been relatively lat since November but the percentage is increasing due to vaccinations in the over 65 crowd.

Fauci has said before that herd immunity could be 75-85%. As we get closer with vaccines, and 25% of Americans have said they don’t want the vaccine, he now says we’re not really concerned with that number.

Reactions: volinbham
I've been talking to some folks in India for work, and they're pretty worried. Looking at their data, it's running about half the new cases worldwide. They are going to pass the USA in total cases in about a month of this. I am not sure why we are so low here in Tennessee but I'll take it.

I talk to people overseas quite a bit, and it's interesting to see what they think about their vaccine rollouts. Some places they have Moderna and Chinese vaccine. It's been odd to me that these massive later waves hit a wide variety of countries with different styles of government and treatment and what not.

As my grandmother used to say “If you’re sick you can get up and go to work and it will be gone in 7 days or you can lay in bed and it will be gone in a week, get your but up and go to work“.
If someone comes to my work sick I'm going to politely ask them to GTFO.

If someone comes to my work sick I'm going to politely ask them to GTFO.
You aren't talking about any sickness, right?

There is a difference between a person who may be contagious and a person who isn't. Both would be sick, though.

My wife has always made fun of the hoopla over Cal Ripken's consecutive games played.
She views it as the most selfish accomplishment in all of sports.
Her view is that there is no way that there were not days when he was a little sick or injured to the point where the backup would have been much better for the team.
She views going to work sick the same way. If you do not have a replacement that can step in during your absence, someone is not running the organization very effectively.

Reactions: ohhbother
My wife has always made fun of the hoopla over Cal Ripken's consecutive games played.
She views it as the most selfish accomplishment in all of sports.
Her view is that there is no way that there were not days when he was a little sick or injured to the point where the backup would have been much better for the team.
She views going to work sick the same way. If you do not have a replacement that can step in during your absence, someone is not running the organization very effectively.
Sounds like we would all give your wife the same advice we give you. Butt out and mind your own damn business and don’t worry about how other people run their own lives.

VN Store

Back