Lady Vols Softball

Ivy came to UT with two years of eligibility. I think she and Amanda are-- or at least, were-- planning to return. Not sure about Ashley Morgan.

Losing Morgan, Seggern, Davis, Hannon and Ayala would be a hit.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Six players coming in and Thompson returning from injury probably see about three or more of those players go. Hopefully Davis and Ayala are coming back. I think a couple of those players in the recruiting class are highly ranked. I am almost certain Hannon and Seggern are finished. Morgan, Ayala could come back.

Reactions: I4Vols
We will only get a top 8 seed if we go undefeated the rest of the season. As in sweep the rest of our regular season games and win the SECT.

Also, I don't want Duke in our regional. And I think Duke is good enough where they won't be place in a top 8 regional.
It is much more complicated than this. I don't know if we get a top 8 seed or not. But it not only depends upon what we do, but also the teams we are competing with for a top 8 seed. How do Oklahoma State, Texas, Washington and some others finish the season? Do they get a big win or suffer a bad loss? Losses by them are like wins for us. Lots of softball still to be played that will be factor.

Six players coming in and Thompson returning from injury probably see about three or more of those players go. Hopefully Davis and Ayala are coming back. I think a couple of those players in the recruiting class are highly ranked. I am almost certain Hannon and Seggern are finished. Morgan, Ayala could come back.

Hannon and Seggern are finished after this season, as is Poindexter. They have no more eligibility left, as they are all 5th year seniors counting last year's shortened season.

It is much more complicated than this. I don't know if we get a top 8 seed or not. But it not only depends upon what we do, but also the teams we are competing with for a top 8 seed. How do Oklahoma State, Texas, Washington and some others finish the season? Do they get a big win or suffer a bad loss? Losses by them are like wins for us. Lots of softball still to be played that will be factor.

And my point is likely none of that happens if we don't win out, given who our opponents are and given the teams we are fighting against for a top seed. If we lose either game to MSU...kiss any small hope of a top 8 seed goodbye. Washington isn't likely to lose anymore games. They only play Utah and Stanford, and the Pac-12 doesn't have a conference tourney. I'd say they're basically a lock for a top 8 seed. OSU plays OU but losing to OU isn't likely to hurt their RPI, although OU isn't as high in the RPI as people think due to their weak AF schedule, which will likely hurt them in seeding, just as it did with us in 2007, when we were #1 for over 3/4 of the season but were seeded #5.

We aren't really competing with Texas for a top 8 seed, as their RPI is #18. I would put LSU in that category over them, along with Arizona State.

And my point is likely none of that happens if we don't win out, given who our opponents are and given the teams we are fighting against for a top seed. If we lose either game to MSU...kiss any small hope of a top 8 seed goodbye. Washington isn't likely to lose anymore games. They only play Utah and Stanford, and the Pac-12 doesn't have a conference tourney. I'd say they're basically a lock for a top 8 seed. OSU plays OU but losing to OU isn't likely to hurt their RPI, although OU isn't as high in the RPI as people think due to their weak AF schedule, which will likely hurt them in seeding, just as it did with us in 2007, when we were #1 for over 3/4 of the season but were seeded #5.

We aren't really competing with Texas for a top 8 seed, as their RPI is #18. I would put LSU in that category over them, along with Arizona State.
I love our team but to get a possible home super regional one of two things would have to happen: win out (Missouri is very good team) or some of the higher rated teams lose in the regionals. To get to the Wcws it will probably take winning a super regional on the road. You just want to avoid playing Ucla or Oklahoma any of the other would be difficult but doable.

Reactions: volman128
Glad we get some midweek SEC softball. Tennessee should win, but we're not as bad as our record.

We tend to struggle against elite pitching tho. Against middle of the conference pitching we have a chance, but Tennessee definitely has a Top 5 SEC pitching staff. Tennessee should win easily with Rogers. Any tiny small chance we have will be against Turner, but something tells me Rogers will come in relief in game 2 as well. So yeah.... should be 2-0 Tennessee. Tho you have way more to play for.

Last edited:
Coaching staff will have a different look next year. Looking at the pitching staff roster numbers you can assume it'll look different next year, my guess is 2 looking for time elsewhere (possibly 3). All the other positions you never know with the conversations that are had at the end of the year about the direction of the team, new players coming in , playing time decreasing etc. The team is headed in the right direction for the future, but like most changes will have some tough conversations in the coming months by players and coaches.

Reactions: Border Vol
Coaching staff will have a different look next year. Looking at the pitching staff roster numbers you can assume it'll look different next year, my guess is 2 looking for time elsewhere (possibly 3). All the other positions you never know with the conversations that are had at the end of the year about the direction of the team, new players coming in , playing time decreasing etc. The team is headed in the right direction for the future, but like most changes will have some tough conversations in the coming months by players and coaches.

Last I heard 300 softball players are already in the portal....i'm sure that number will increase once the season is over

I just hope we aren't matched up against an SEC team again in the SRs like we have been so many times in the past; it's the SelCom's way of making sure there aren't too many SEC teams in OKC. I especially don't want to be matched up vs. LSU, who will probably be seeded close to us. They have to be one of the most painful teams to watch, especially for a supposed top 15 team. Can't hit, not a good fielding team and nothing but junk pitchers. They ugly up every single game they play. We had no business dropping our series to them, especially in that final game when we let such a horrible hitting team score 11 runs on us.

We need to bring the challenge to softball to many calls being missed that affect the game.

What gets me is that the announcers are consistently giving them a pass this season because of COVID and "lack of reps". It's like ummmm, it's always been this way???

I just hope we aren't matched up against an SEC team again in the SRs like we have been so many times in the past; it's the SelCom's way of making sure there aren't too many SEC teams in OKC. I especially don't want to be matched up vs. LSU, who will probably be seeded close to us. They have to be one of the most painful teams to watch, especially for a supposed top 15 team. Can't hit, not a good fielding team and nothing but junk pitchers. They ugly up every single game they play. We had no business dropping our series to them, especially in that final game when we let such a horrible hitting team score 11 runs on us.

It seems like they like matching Tennessee against a SEC team or Oklahoma the last few times which just sucks to be honest

Reactions: kregman
As of today we are #9 in rpi. That’d would mean a lot in a normal year who knows this year. I think the polls are way over valuing some teams.

Reactions: Volfan2012
All about winning you lose one or more to Miss St and lose a series to Missouri you fall like a rock. I think you need to get four of those games and hope we can win all five.

Reactions: jeebie
All about winning you lose one or more to Miss St and lose a series to Missouri you fall like a rock. I think you need to get four of those games and hope we can win all five.

I don't think the RPI will move much either direction whether we win or lose....It kind of it what it is two teams that are helping the RPI are Miami of Ohio and Liberty because of who those two teams played out of conference

Reactions: Rickster
It seems like they like matching Tennessee against a SEC team or Oklahoma the last few times which just sucks to be honest

Look at the last ten years. Only twice have we not played/been set up to play an SEC team in the Supers. It's mind-boggling, tbh.

2012: beat Georgia in SRs (lost to Bama in first round in OKC)
2013: beat Bama in SRs (beat Florida in first round in OKC)
2014: lost to Oklahoma in SRs
2015: beat Florida State in SRs (Lost to Florida and Auburn in OKC)
2016: lost in regionals, would've played Auburn in SRs
2017: lost to Texas A&M in SRs
2018: lost to Georgia in SRs
2019: lost to Florida in SRs
2020: N/A
2021: ???

Willis is a good pitcher for Miss St will be a test for our hitters who haven't been doing much in the last few games. We won because of pitching and that might again have to be the case today.

On the SR matching SEC teams: It could be so many SEC teams make the SR there is no choice they get matched up but also not sure that the SB selection committee doesn't intentionally set up the brackets to have a couple of supers where SEC teams will be matched up if they get there so as to limit the number of SEC teams getting into the CWS. May be bad for national ratings if 4 of the 8 teams were SEC, ha.

Handley had only thrown something like 15 innings all year before Saturday. They probably had some video on her, but you're not going to spend a lot of time scouting someone that has barely pitched all year. They never pitched their second best, in my opinion, pitcher KK Dismukes, whose ERA was 1.30 or something coming into the weekend. She's been their closer of sorts, but I would have thought she would have been the second to come in on Saturday.
a senior on Senior Day ---- probably her best game of the year

VN Store

Back