The making of Cornbread.....

Can anyone tell me how Pruitt was brought into the Fulmer's mind to hire or even talk to about being HC of the Vols? How did Cornbread make his way into the picture?
My belief is that Fulmer is not an innovator. As a follower of trends, he tries to mimic what others were successful doing. In this case Alabama, who until 3 or 4 years ago were winning with stifling defense and a balanced offense that didn't need to take too many chances to win. Since 2015 or so, it seems that wide open offenses have become increasingly difficult to stop for even defenses as talented as Alabama and Georgia. More points are needed. Fulmer chased past performance to seek future yields without any understanding of how the game was changing. Plus, apparently lack of basic intelligence is not a disqualifier when Fulmer is doing the hiring.

My belief is that Fulmer is not an innovator. As a follower of trends, he tries to mimic what others were successful doing. In this case Alabama, who until 3 or 4 years ago were winning with stifling defense and a balanced offense that didn't need to take too many chances to win. Since 2015 or so, it seems that wide open offenses have become increasingly difficult to stop for even defenses as talented as Alabama and Georgia. More points are needed. Fulmer chased past performance to seek future yields without any understanding of how the game was changing. Plus, apparently lack of basic intelligence is not a disqualifier when Fulmer is doing the hiring.
Same ole same ole basically from Fulmer.

That is the same thing that got him fired as HC

Hindsight is always 20/20. Nobody could have predicted he would be as bad as he was

But he was hired from the enemy and he's an enemy thru and thru
There was just no reason for Tennessee to hire him
Everyone else except Fulmer knew

He took us to the cleaners, he took us down the drain
Such a loser as a head coach
And for Coach Fulmer it's now his claim to fame

Reactions: Orange DNA
But he was hired from the enemy and he's an enemy thru and thru
There was just no reason for Tennessee to hire him
Everyone else except Fulmer knew

He took us to the cleaners, he took us down the drain
Such a loser as a head coach
And for Coach Fulmer it's now his claim to fame

Eh, I don’t know about all that. I don’t know if Incan blame Fulmer for hiring him. I mean look at Kirby Smart. He is from the enemy. Tony Elliot at Clemson would have been from the enemy. Fulmer may very well have made the best hire he could at the time. I don’t know that for sure.

But I agree with you that Pruitt screwed us over badly and Fulmer is responsible.

Pruitt was “best available” who would take the job. He was a successful DC and part of the Saban coaching tree. He’d also coached under Richt who had some success at Georgia. Nobody could have predicted his ineptness at being a HC. He had the right resume.

Pruitt was “best available” who would take the job. He was a successful DC and part of the Saban coaching tree. He’d also coached under Richt who had some success at Georgia. Nobody could have predicted his ineptness at being a HC. He had the right resume.

Agreed. That’s why I cannot really blame Fulmer for hiring him.

VN Store

Back