Lance Leipold Hired At Kansas

Kind of surprised he left for that job. I know Kansas is a P5 but let's be real...it really isn't.
Guy’s like what, 57? He could’ve thought that when he left his Wisconsin-Whitewater powerhouse for Buffalo. Does anything close at Kansas and his options will be higher than Kansas.

Guy’s like what, 57? He could’ve thought that when he left his Wisconsin-Whitewater powerhouse for Buffalo. Does anything close at Kansas and his options will be higher than Kansas.
Wisconsin-Whitewater is a DIII school. Going to Buffalo from there was a jump of 2 entire NCAA divisions, much bigger jump than from Buffalo to Kansas.

I just figured he would have held out for a job with a better chance of success than Kansas. Nobody cares about football there, football facilities are awful and the admin doesn't really want to invest in them, near impossible to recruit.

Wisconsin-Whitewater is a DIII school. Going to Buffalo from there was a jump of 2 entire NCAA divisions, much bigger jump than from Buffalo to Kansas.

I just figured he would have held out for a job with a better chance of success than Kansas. Nobody cares about football there, football facilities are awful and the admin doesn't really want to invest in them, near impossible to recruit.
I know the background...it’s why I brought it up. He had security and longtime success, but took on a challenge. I stand by my comparison.

Kansas might be a worse job than Vanderbilt. That’s how bad that job is. The only reason Vanderbilt could be worse is because they play in the toughest conference in the country.

I know the background...it’s why I brought it up. He had security and longtime success, but took on a challenge. I stand by my comparison.
I know what you meant - I'm just saying Wisconsin-Whitewater to Buffalo is way more of a no-brainer (in terms of a career move) than Buffalo to Kansas. They are both challenges, but no DIII coach (no matter how successful they are) would likely say no to any FBS job.

Kansas is a complete unmitigated disaster, and I bet in a couple years he would have gotten another P5 offer with a much higher chance of success. They are a borderline FCS-level program playing in a P5 conference.

Kansas might be a worse job than Vanderbilt. That’s how bad that job is. The only reason Vanderbilt could be worse is because they play in the toughest conference in the country.
Oh, it's way worse of a job than Vandy, and it isn't even close. At least at Vandy you can sell Nashville/academics/SEC/closer to good recruiting areas. And Vandy has a relatively recent (within the last decade) run of competitive play.

This is an unbelievable stat...Kansas football has won either zero or one conference game for 12 straight seasons. I don't even think they are an FBS level program.

Oh, it's way worse of a job than Vandy, and it isn't even close. At least at Vandy you can sell Nashville/academics/SEC/closer to good recruiting areas. And Vandy has a relatively recent (within the last decade) run of competitive play.

This is an unbelievable stat...Kansas football has won either zero or one conference game for 12 straight seasons. I don't even think they are an FBS level program.
Didn’t know that stat. The only reason I put Kansas on the same level is because they went to a BCS game that year where they and Mizzou were both top 3. So technically they’ve done in recently, kind of.

Didn’t know that stat. The only reason I put Kansas on the same level is because they went to a BCS game that year where they and Mizzou were both top 3. So technically they’ve done in recently, kind of.
I guess, although they are pretty far removed from that now (they are as far removed from that as we are from our last East division title) and in hindsight it seems like a fluke, once-in-a-lifetime thing. They came out of nowhere to have that season, then had one mediocre year after that, then imploded and have sucked ever since.

They fired the coach to led them to that (Mangino) for reasons that today sound pretty quaint...he was mean and yelled at players.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

Mangino did a good job with the program, especially the year you mentioned. But it's been 25 seasons since the Big XII formed, and Kansas has only had a winning overall record 3 times. '07 was the only year they had a winning record in conference play.

I know what you meant - I'm just saying Wisconsin-Whitewater to Buffalo is way more of a no-brainer (in terms of a career move) than Buffalo to Kansas. They are both challenges, but no DIII coach (no matter how successful they are) would likely say no to any FBS job.

Kansas is a complete unmitigated disaster, and I bet in a couple years he would have gotten another P5 offer with a much higher chance of success. They are a borderline FCS-level program playing in a P5 conference.
And I appreciate your point, but at this stage of his career ANY move up is a “no brainer” and that includes Kansas. Huge bump in compensation and more importantly the STAGE. If you’re confident in your skills, you don’t wait for that hypothetical P5 offer to materialize. If he’s anywhere close to Mark Mangino’s level, his prospects are nowhere near dire.

And I appreciate your point, but at this stage of his career ANY move up is a “no brainer” and that includes Kansas. Huge bump in compensation and more importantly the STAGE. If you’re confident in your skills, you don’t wait for that hypothetical P5 offer to materialize. If he’s anywhere close to Mark Mangino’s level, his prospects are nowhere near dire.
I guess someone has to take the worst power 5 job.

Kansas has humiliated better coaches than Leipold. Best of luck, he'll need every ounce of it.
Like who? If you’re saying Miles? Kansas didn’t HUMILIATE him...that was his other head at LSU. What other noted HC have they employed?

Reactions: Border Vol

VN Store

Back