Randomly meeting a Vol Stories

I ran into Coach Majors many, many years ago on Center Hill Lake at Fanchers Falls. Didn't talk to him much but talked to the people whose boat he was on and they confirmed it was Johnny.
Also, Had a "Press Pass" to the Sugar Vols game in New Orleans. Got Dale Jones autograph on the sidelines on my #54 shirt I was wearing

Reactions: BIGAL27
Used to play ball at the trecs with some guys who came back to workout during the summer. Ced Houston, Gerald Riggs and some other big guys. I used to party with quite a few guys on the team from around 2003-2007 that I met through mutual friends. One of my girlfriends (at the time) roommates was actually hooking up with 2 guys on the team at the same time, but they didn’t know. These guys ended up being NFL players with decent careers in the early to mid 2000’s, both on defense. Both of them really cool and chill, just had no idea they were being played.
Jessie Mahelona was a really nice guy, as was Matt McGothlin. Biggest clown by far was Brent Schaeffer. He could barely stand up hammered at Hannah’s in the Old City asking me if I knew who he was and I trying to big time me. I don’t really play that stuff.
Most guys on the team I’ve been around or known have all been nice guys.

Used to play ball at the trecs with some guys who came back to workout during the summer. Ced Houston, Gerald Riggs and some other big guys. I used to party with quite a few guys on the team from around 2003-2007 that I met through mutual friends. One of my girlfriends (at the time) roommates was actually hooking up with 2 guys on the team at the same time, but they didn’t know. These guys ended up being NFL players with decent careers in the early to mid 2000’s, both on defense. Both of them really cool and chill, just had no idea they were being played.
Jessie Mahelona was a really nice guy, as was Matt McGothlin. Biggest clown by far was Brent Schaeffer. He could barely stand up hammered at Hannah’s in the Old City asking me if I knew who he was and I trying to big time me. I don’t really play that stuff.
Most guys on the team I’ve been around or known have all been nice guys.
I always thought Brent Schaeffer looked like a cross dresser

Met Chris Walker at Mrs. Griffins Foot Long Hot Dogs in Chattanooga when he was the FCA representative for UTC. Great guy.

Reactions: TheBigOne10
Worked for Bobby Fox one summer, drove Kurt Watson around K town for a FCA event, played slow pitch against Ricky Townsend ( he hit the longest HR I've seen by anyone not wearing a Howard Furniture jersey).

Reactions: feathersax
Ran into Ramon Foster in downtown Pittsburgh. CP on Gay St at the Christmas parade. JRM and AK on Gay St a few years ago.

Me and Eric Ainge at some hotdogs together once. I didn't realize it was him though until after the fact.

Reactions: feathersax
My Pawpaw played in the mid 60's so I've met Swamp rat a couple times.

Also met Travis Henry in the lettermans room. I'm taller than him. Very weird to be taller than a former NFL player. But the man is still jacked....and fertile...

Yes

I will be having Travis Henry's 57th child

Spoke to Phillip Fulmer when he came out from the locker room after the 1998 Vandy game.

Drank a couple of beers with Johnnie Jones and Carl Zander after the 1984 Bama game.

Met Dale Ellis at SIX flags in Atlanta.

Met Antone Davis at Disney World.

Talked with Josh Dobbs on campus once. He was socially awkward. Or maybe I was. Not sure.

Passed Jauan Jennings on the sidewalk before he switched to WR. Sat next to CP at Copper Celler. Met MZTERRY at the O&W game for those who remember her.

Met Eric Westmoreland when I was a kid. He was injured and on crutches at the time.

1. I was in the same position group as Al Wilson at Fulmer’s Sunmer Football Camp. Lovie Smith was our position coach. It was the same week that OJ was on the run from Johnny Law. We didn’t have cell phones back then and no TVs in the dorms for the camp so it was a shock to hear when camp was over.

2. I was working in Oak Ridge for a week a few years back. This was before Fulmer came back to UT as AD. I stayed at the airport Hilton the night before my early morning flight back to KC. The night before my flight I went to have a beer and pizza at Barleys in Maryville. Fulmer and his wife came in and sat a few seats down from me at the bar. When I asked the bartender for a recommendation on a good local beer, Fulmer recommended the hefeweizen.

I was in town for the Georgia game during the Dooley years and stayed at a hotel off Cedar Bluff. Was taking stuff out to my truck Sunday morning and noticed some guys with the hood up on their SUV and asked if they needed help. It was Al Wilson, and he had a dead battery. Got to give his battery a jump. Unbelievably nice and humble guy...

I have a few that I can not tell just because they would break HIPAA.

The one I can tell is kind of funny and it is recent. Last month I sold my house in Farragut. A friend of a friends said they had someone who wanted to look at it before it hit the market. A lovely couple with some lovely kids show up and we gave them the tour. He took interest in my Vol man cave with all of its accoutrements but that is not unusual, most people in Knoxville love Tennessee football. After he left my neighbor came over and asked if I knew who it was I had just shown my house to. Turns out it was Benjie Shuler, Heath's brother and former Vol WR.

This is kinda random but in the mid 80's I was coaching youth football. I was down on one knee talking to one of the offensive tackles. This kid was looking right past me so I said Josh look at me when I talk to you. His mother comes over and informs me he is looking at me because he has one eye and I am on the bad side. Josh Tucker grew up to be a Vol.

I sold two of my tickets to a UT game on Stubhub and it ended up being to Travis Stephens. He brought Cosey Coleman w him. And we chatted throughout the game. Both super nice guys.

Charles McRae was next door neighbors to one of my friends up until recently. We hung out a few times and grilled out at my friends house.

Did you ask Travis why he doesn’t post on VolNation anymore? 😂

Reactions: Jravol78
Unfortunately, I have only met one Vol randomly, but he was a damn good Vol to meet!

About 10 years ago, I met non-other than the one player who single-handedly saved the 1998 Championship season.....Magnolia, Mississippi 's own Billy Ratliff.

I went into the Verizon store on Dolly Parton Parkway in Sevierville to change phones, and as I was leaving I found Billy working there. We talked briefly. Yes, I brought up "the play" and thanked him for his effort in causing "the fumble," his awareness to retrieve "the fumble," and him saving our National Championship season. Although I did not get a discount that day, I did receive a big smile from Billy which was priceless!

I met Keith Davis 3 times.......

I was the starting FS on the Antioch Bears football team, and he trucked me twice on long TD runs in 1983. He hit the edge on that 3rd one and I didn't want any part of trying to stop that Mack truck. Pretty sure the first time he ran over me (not an exaggeration) i got concussed. Needless to say, the Bobcats won that contest pretty handily.

VN Store

Back