2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

Tess is gonna play, a lot (if she stays healthy).
Last year, I saw Rae directing players, she will be a leader this year for the team. I believe Tess is also a leader. Tess can play defense. Who can we depend on for 3 pointers? The Freshmen are in learning phase, maybe Puckett can shoot threes, but how will her defense be? For all of us who look forward to more successful 3 point shooting, Horston and Walker CAN make 3 point shots, Rae and Tess WILL make 3 point shots.

Looking forward to an exciting year for the Lady Vols!

Last edited:
That's pretty much the same as what I would pick, with Marta/Sara as options at wing or forward. My opinion is that Miles, Saunders, Rennie and Darby will see minimal playing time overall and will not be in the rotation against the better teams.

I pretty much agree with the exception of Darby. From everything I'm hearing about off-season workouts and practices Kellie is high on Darby. She was actually supposed to play much more last season but was dealing with lingering injuries and couldn't do as much as they wanted. I think we're going to be surprised by just how much Darby plays.

Rennie is not going to see a lot of minutes. Saunders is going to play most games in my opinion, but she's only going to be in for short runs just to give Key a breather. I think she has potential, but regardless I think we'll need her because other than Key we don't really have another towering player in the paint. We lose quite a bit of height when Key goes out.

I'm a little worried about rehab for Green and Marta. I'm just curious how long it will take them to get into game shape after being sidelined for so long.

This is my rotation.

PG: Walker
SG: Horston (Horston can/will slide to the 1 when needed easily to avoid putting Miles in a hard position too early)
SF: Rae
PF: Alexus (Will play the 3 occasionally if we go big to allow Green and/or Saunders and Key in at the same time)
C: Key

B/U PG: Miles
B/U SG: Darby (2-3), Wynn (2-3), Rennie
B/U SF: Puckett (3-4)
B/U PF: Marta (4-3), Striplin (4-5)
B/U C: Green (5-4), Saunders

That's just my prediction. Keep in mind Kellie subs very liberally.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with the exception of Darby. From everything I'm hearing about off-season workouts and practices Kellie is high on Darby. She was actually supposed to play much more last season but was dealing with lingering injuries and couldn't do as much as they wanted. I think we're going to be surprised by just how much Darby plays.

Rennie is not going to see a lot of minutes. Saunders is going to play most games in my opinion, but she's only going to be in for short runs just to give Key a breather. I think she has potential, but regardless I think we'll need her because other than Key we don't really have another towering player in the paint. We lose quite a bit of height when Key goes out.

I'm a little worried about rehab for Green and Marta. I'm just curious how long it will take them to get into game shape after being sidelined for so long.

This is my rotation.

SG: Horston (Horston can/will slide to the 1 when needed easily to avoid putting Miles in a hard position too early)
PF: Alexus (Will play the 3 occasionally if we go big to allow Green and/or Saunders and Key in at the same time)

You've indicated a couple of times you've heard something. Do you have an inside source?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

This is my rotation.

Unless Walker is much quicker and capable of creating more, it’s hard to believe we aren’t looking for a point in the portal. Or, expect Horsten to play point 20-25 minutes.

Unless Walker is much quicker and capable of creating more, it’s hard to believe we aren’t looking for a point in the portal. Or, expect Horsten to play point 20-25 minutes.

It's baffling how a point guard who won three national championships is having so much trouble finding one of her own. If Walker is the starting point guard again, this team is in trouble...

Depends on Walker's mobility,,,I don't think we ever got to see her full game when healthy and not encumbered by a brace

That’s what I was saying. But, I’m dubious we will see the type of speed and quickness you’d like late in the shot clock. If we don’t add someone, Horsten may be again the best option.

It's baffling how a point guard who won three national championships is having so much trouble finding one of her own. If Walker is the starting point guard again, this team is in trouble...
200w.gif

Depends on Walker's mobility,,,I don't think we ever got to see her full game when healthy and not encumbered by a brace

Her stats were much better in her last year at Western Michigan than last season (except for turnovers), particularly shooting %, which is much better. Can't know if that entire difference is simply in the difference in quality of competition. Could be that the injury was also part of the difference.

If you compare her last years' stats with Horston, Horston is the better player in shooting and assists per turnover. So I'm guessing Harper played her at the point for some intangible reason that she sees, like maybe overall experience or maybe better able to execute a game plan?

Her stats were much better in her last year at Western Michigan than last season (except for turnovers), particularly shooting %, which is much better. Can't know if that entire difference is simply in the difference in quality of competition. Could be that the injury was also part of the difference.

Her injury occurred BEFORE her last year at WMU. Her numbers were much better because she was was playing in the MAC, not the SEC.

If you compare her last years' stats with Horston, Horston is the better player in shooting and assists per turnover. So I'm guessing Harper played her at the point for some intangible reason that she sees, like maybe overall experience or maybe better able to execute a game plan?

She plays there because there aren't any true point guards on the roster...

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

she showed the heart of a warrior, if her ability gets even close to her heart, she will be a good one for us,,,

Horston is still my pick,,,if she can stay healthy, she is a play-maker, fast, long and smart,,,,most of her turnovers in her freshman year was bc the receivers weren't ready for the pass or had hands of stone,,,they were a little more ready this year

She plays there because there aren't any true point guards on the roster...

So, why play Walker over Horston?

Her injury occurred BEFORE her last year at WMU. Her numbers were much better because she was was playing in the MAC, not the SEC.

Ahh, so. Thanks for that information. So that explains why she did not play the year before. Which makes it remarkable that she put up the nubers she did the year after. Could she have re-injured it before or during last season at UT?

Horston is still my pick,,,if she can stay healthy, she is a play-maker, fast, long and smart,,,,most of her turnovers in her freshman year was bc the receivers weren't ready for the pass or had hands of stone,,,they were a little more ready this year

She had nearly twice as many assists as anyone else on the team, including Walker. And her assist to turnover was much better - for that matter much better than anyone else on the team also. So on paper looks like the better PG to me. But your observation about Walker's heart might just be the explanation.

VN Store

Back