Mike Leach reflects on recruiting Josh Heupel

It's so funny how Hal Mumme got ridiculed at Kentucky, yet 20 years later his coaching tree is insane.

he was ridiculed because of his overall win loss record; his lifetime is below .500. his teams gained a lot of yards and scored a lot of points, but they were undisciplined and committed a lot of mistakes. his defenses were awful, too.

Plenty of examples? Name one. I know the Lions ran it, but Barry Sanders totaled up IN SPITE of the scheme. Who was running up the tonnage for the Houston Oilers...or Houston Cougars for that matter? Verbiage schmerbiage...that’s nerd clickbait. Call it all OMAHA if you want to, it’s all about the summary of the totality. The Run & Shoot and Mumme’s Air Raid were the same animal. Go long MF and if we have to...we’ll throw to that guy we label as a RB.

I’ll give you one on both levels:

Zach Line-SMU
Jamal Anderson-Falcons

And no. They weren’t the same. It’s like saying power run schemes and zone run schemes are the same. They’re both running the ball, but in very different ways.

Both teams are throwing the ball, but the concepts aren’t the same

Having a shutdown D is key for the spread to really win a lot of games. Saban and Swinney will let their OC go nuts if they know they can offset the risks the offense takes with a really, really strong D.

VN dwells on "who will be the QB" almost exclusively but our D currently won't be able to get enough stops to get that QB on the field enough to win. While even Saban has embraced that "offense wins championships"...... that's a damn easy statement to make with Bama's yearly very talented and extremely efficient defenses.

I love the spread and the excitement we'll see this year from the Vols but...... we're hurting for a defense to keep that offense on the field.

Idk where you came up with this notation, but the data suggests the complete opposite. Saban’s defenses have gotten worse and his teams have gotten better. Offensive production is far more correlated with success than defense

Reactions: 84Volfan
I’ll give you one on both levels:

Zach Line-SMU
Jamal Anderson-Falcons

And no. They weren’t the same. It’s like saying power run schemes and zone run schemes are the same. They’re both running the ball, but in very different ways.

Both teams are throwing the ball, but the concepts aren’t the same
So two mid-major programs? That’s what Utah was in the early 90’s. Gotta admit, I didn’t know they did the run & shoot. There’s a reason it’s a dead offense...circa the Wing T. The Air Raid isn’t that, but there’s a disregard for the running game and that’s why no top program uses it.

So two mid-major programs? That’s what Utah was in the early 90’s. Gotta admit, I didn’t know they did the run & shoot. There’s a reason it’s a dead offense...circa the Wing T. The Air Raid isn’t that, but there’s a disregard for the running game and that’s why no top program uses it.

The Atlanta falcons are mid major?

Plenty of top programs run the air raid. Even some nfl teams. Idk were you’re getting that.

The Mike Leach QB summed up. Leach cares about accuracy more than anything else, because it's integral to his offense and he doesn't believe it can be coached.

this is going to sound negative in 3...2...1

I dont care how accurate or how good Huepel was as a QB. I dont care how much he knows about football. I only care how good he and his coaching staff are are recognizing talent (that will actually pan out) and developing that talent and coaching.

What Mike Leach remembers about Huepel the QB means nothing to me really. I want to see him coach.

If they had named Peyton Manning our new head coach, I would feel exactly the same. Good QB doesnt mean you'll be a good coach.

Plenty of top programs run the air raid. Even some nfl teams. Idk were you’re getting that.
Often times the Falcons do feel like a mid-major.

But you’re right. They had 3 or 4 RBs Rush for 1,000 yards during the Run and Shoot days.

Reactions: Vol8188
The Air Raid isn’t that, but there’s a disregard for the running game and that’s why no top program uses it.
Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma State run it. And at times, what Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State do isn’t far from it.

Anyone who has watched OU since L.R. came on the scene knows that what the Sooners run is not a true "air raid." In fact, noone runs a true "air raid" these days. The offense has morphed over time into numerous iterations depending on the team and the personnel. Even at OU it is different each year because of the QB and or the talent skills around him. OU has had some great RB tandems that have contributed to a very balanced attack...Samaje Perrine/Joe Mixon; Rodney Anderson/Trey Sermon; Kennedy Brooks/Trey Sermon. Statistically, we run the ball more than we throw it. Add QB's like Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts and running the ball is a feature in the Sooner offense. Just because the QB isn't under center or their are muliple receivers split out does not make it a pure air raid. Huepel will do what his personnel allow him to do.

Influenced by the Air Raid but after being fired at Oklahoma, Heupel visited Waco and studied Art Briles offense...which values and (extremely) effectively utilizes the running game. This offense is his variant on both systems.
Love the Briles system. Run balanced and so dang effective.

While also very effective, don't think I'd want to watch Air Raid all season. It's like the inverse of watching triple option. Just sort of boring seeing 1 style of attack all game. This system has the best of both worlds.

Reactions: butchna
Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma State run it. And at times, what Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State do isn’t far from it.
OU, TCU, and Ok St all ran more last year than passed.

Leach typically passes 70-75% of the time. That's legit air raid and almost no one else runs it. Certainly not the teams listed. The only thing they share is being generically spread.

Reactions: butchna
All those teams would’ve used Kaylin Hill...so no.

Often times the Falcons do feel like a mid-major.

But you’re right. They had 3 or 4 RBs Rush for 1,000 yards during the Run and Shoot days.
Jamal Anderson had his heyday under Dan Reeves. He definitely didn’t run it. Who were the 1000 yard rushers under Glanville and June Jones?

Plenty of examples? Name one. I know the Lions ran it, but Barry Sanders totaled up IN SPITE of the scheme. Who was running up the tonnage for the Houston Oilers...or Houston Cougars for that matter? Verbiage schmerbiage...that’s nerd clickbait. Call it all OMAHA if you want to, it’s all about the summary of the totality. The Run & Shoot and Mumme’s Air Raid were the same animal. Go long MF and if we have to...we’ll throw to that guy we label as a RB.

The run and shoot that the Oilers ran with Moon certainly was entertaining to watch. Line up 5 wide and go.

I’m cursed with knowing what I’m talking about. The Falcons were a powerhouse when they tinkered with that Mickey Mouse Davis crap? The Air Raid in it’s pure form? What “top programs” run it? Somebody threw out the Arizona Cardinals? They make the playoffs while I wasn’t looking?

It's so funny how Hal Mumme got ridiculed at Kentucky, yet 20 years later his coaching tree is insane.
Before Ky, started at Valdosta St, that program has had many top coaches. Hal Mumme and Mike Leach, Chris Hatcher, Dana Holgerson, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, Greg McMahon, Guy Morriss, Robby Brown, Kerwin Bell, etc. Insane list

Reactions: tbh
And he fine tuned that offense at Stephenville High in Texas (home of Branndon Stewart). If they had better local talent, on a year to year basis, they would have never lost a game.
They had decent talent

They usually didn't lose until semis in the playoffs tho

I’m cursed with knowing what I’m talking about. The Falcons were a powerhouse when they tinkered with that Mickey Mouse Davis crap? The Air Raid in it’s pure form? What “top programs” run it? Somebody threw out the Arizona Cardinals? They make the playoffs while I wasn’t looking?

Talk as trash as you want, but both passing systems are still very prevalent in the game today. When you say “in it’s true form”, it’s an absurd question because everything evolves. If you’re asking how many teams run it exactly as it was in 98 at Kentucky? I’m sure the answer is 0. Even Mumme and Leach have evolved.

But yes, both still survive at both the nfl and the d1 level. Run n shoot concepts (the switch route especially) are a part of almost every modern passing game. As are west coast/air raid schemes (you really can’t separate them because they’re the same). Everyone in America runs sail (3 level flood), stick, shallow, and drive.

VN Store

Back