Randomly meeting a Vol Stories

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
Have you ever just randomly ran into a Vol (former or current)? I am not talking about an autograph signing or anything organized. I am talking about just randomly running into one on vacation or just in the every day world.

I wanna say it was around 2004 or 2005, I was on the same Carnival Cruise as former Vol Kicker Jeff Hall. He just shouted Go Vols and then I recognized him and just had small general conversation.

Have you ever just randomly ran into a Vol (former or current)? I am not talking about an autograph signing or anything organized. I am talking about just randomly running into one on vacation or just in the every day world.

I wanna say it was around 2004 or 2005, I was on the same Carnival Cruise as former Vol Kicker Jeff Hall. He just shouted Go Vols and then I recognized him and just had small general conversation.

I know this is not "random," but Jeff was a student in my senior economics class. I coached Tracy Hayworth. Tracy lives one block up from the where I work now. I also had Ayan Martin in class.

I got to meet Andy Kelly just before a game when he was doing the pre-game show back in 2011 or 2012. We were up on the hill and I recognized him. My father and I waited for a break and when he stepped down from the stage I went up to him and introduced myself and told him I was a huge fan. Told him I saw him at Gibbs Hall the day of the '90 Florida game and kinda kept up with him after his Tennessee playing career.

He was great to talk to and had absolutely no air what so ever about him!

Hated when he quit the Vol Network but I read it was because he could earn more money.

I ran into Jason Allen and Eric Westmoreland in one of the parking areas outside the stadium. We were getting whipped and left a little early to get to the car and out of traffic.

It was a Dooley coached game and I was loudly critiquing the idiot that was Dooley and they were doing the same. I noticed them and said how's it going guys, can you believe that lack of coaching?

I specifically remembering Jason Allen saying how out of position the players were and defensive play calling was atrocious. He also mentioned Dooley's recruiting wasn't at a high enough level to beat Bama or Georgia.

In 1997, about a month before signing day, I sat with Randy Sanders and Dan Brooks at an event for Georgia High School players. That was the year that we signed Cosey Coleman, Deon Grant and Jamal Lewis. Those were two of the happiest coaches I've ever seen.

Not a Vol player, but I was riding with my dad and traffic was pretty heavy. He went to make a turn and didn’t see the family crossing the street and had to hit the breaks. I instinctively threw up my hand to say sorry and then did a double take because it was Jon Gruden. I asked my dad if he saw who he almost hit and he said no. About 20 minutes later we walked into a store and he was there too. He let us get a picture with him even though we almost ran him and his family over.

Yup. Alvin Kamara before the orange and white game last week. He had just walked into West Town mall.

I sold two of my tickets to a UT game on Stubhub and it ended up being to Travis Stephens. He brought Cosey Coleman w him. And we chatted throughout the game. Both super nice guys.

Charles McRae was next door neighbors to one of my friends up until recently. We hung out a few times and grilled out at my friends house.

In the early 2000's, I was installing security cameras at a Shell station on the HWY 96 exit in Franklin, Tennessee. I was ducked behind the counter pulling cable and I heard a loud thud on the counter. I poked me head up to see a can of sweet tea with a giant hand wrapped around it. On that hand was a giant national championship ring. I stood up, with a big "T" on my ball cap, and casually said, "Hey Coach (Fulmer), how are you doing today?" We then had a lengthy discussion about recruiting and the local talent in the area. He was a very nice man. He is very large in person. After he left, the clerk said to me, "Who was that?"

Ironically, I am now good friends with his oldest son.

we purchased a Honda last year from airport Honda in K-Town. Lamarcus Thompson is the finance manager there so we had the opportunity to talk to him quite a bit. He is another one who played for multiple coaches. Played for Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooley. Since he was a LB, he had a really high opinion of Monte. Loved playing for him and LK.

VN Store

Back