Kim Mulkey leaving Baylor, Announced as Head Coach for LSU

The author of that weak article about Mulkey's move calls the salary increment "a small bump". The bump must be on the writer's skull. It's a 23% raise, over $500,000. That isn't decent news reporting, it's not competent journalism. It is sloppy, inept opinion gushing.

The author of that weak article about Mulkey's move calls the salary increment "a small bump". The bump must be on the writer's skull. It's a 23% raise, over $500,000. That isn't decent news reporting, it's not competent journalism. It is sloppy, inept opinion gushing.

Yeah, that "small bump" line nearly made my head explode, especially since the writer likely hasn't earned that "small bump" of $500,000 in the last 15-20 years combined.

Louisiana has a 6% income tax in Mulkey's income bracket, according to google. Texas has zero income tax. So, 6% of 3 million is 180K. So her bump is more like 320K. I would take it in a heartbeat, but it isn't quite as big as 500K. I doubt that had much to do with her decision to leave.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Louisiana has a 6% income tax in Mulkey's income bracket, according to google. Texas has zero income tax. So, 6% of 3 million is 180K. So her bump is more like 320K. I would take it in a heartbeat, but it isn't quite as big as 500K. I doubt that had much to do with her decision to leave.

She also happens to be a native of Tickfaw, LA, less than an hour from Baton Rouge.

Also, Rick Barnes was going to leave UT for UCLA and actually take a paycut when taking into consideration COL and their state income tax (which TN doesn't have at all), while being in an area that clearly wasn't a cultural fit for him. Not everyone leaves because of money.

I just had some sort of strange premonition. Can totally see Kim hiring Holly as an assistant if there is mutual interest. Could be a great fit and would be nice to see Holly in good spirits again.

She has the SEC experience and would be great on the Scout. Granted there have been a lot of coaching changes even since her departure.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I just had some sort of strange premonition. Can totally see Kim hiring Holly as an assistant if there is mutual interest. Could be a great fit and would be nice to see Holly in good spirits again.

She has the SEC experience and would be great on the Scout. Granted there have been a lot of coaching changes even since her departure.
Is Holly great at evaluating talent? She did recruit but didn’t do such a hot job so Pat found others for recruiting/evaluating players, right?

Is Holly great at evaluating talent? She did recruit but didn’t do such a hot job so Pat found others for recruiting/evaluating players, right?

As an assistant she could bring a lot to a program. Was an excellent assistant for Pat. I do believe she can spot talent. Just didn’t have the knack for helping them improve upon it. Head coach is the one who does that kind of motivating usually. Wouldn’t have to worry about that.

As an assistant she could bring a lot to a program. Was an excellent assistant for Pat. I do believe she can spot talent. Just didn’t have the knack for helping them improve upon it. Head coach is the one who does that kind of motivating usually. Wouldn’t have to worry about that.
I bet Holly would be able to pair nicely with Kim in a Good Cop-Bad Cop dyad. She had her limitations, but I don't think there was any doubt of her ability to connect with the players in a non-HC role...and we know she could recruit. The only question is whether or not her failure as HC tarnishes her reputation on the recruiting trail.

I bet Holly would be able to pair nicely with Kim in a Good Cop-Bad Cop dyad. She had her limitations, but I don't think there was any doubt of her ability to connect with the players in a non-HC role...and we know she could recruit. The only question is whether or not her failure as HC tarnishes her reputation on the recruiting trail.

My thoughts exactly, well out. Same situation she had with Pat.

The HC stint is the only hangup really. If she had bowed out a bit more gracefully it would have been better. Fulmer did her no favors giving her one more year.

Holly was never the best at evaluating talent . NIkki Caldwell (Fargas) was excellent at this while at UT. Reeves and Law know how to find and evaluate talent which is why they had great success at UT. Holly can close a deal, but she left her “main recruiting” to those assistants .Law continues to show that at SC as we see. Jolette is one of the best.

Does anyone know why Sharrona Reaves didn't get another coaching gig? I thought she was supposed to be a great recruiter.

Holly was never the best at evaluating talent . NIkki Caldwell (Fargas) was excellent at this while at UT. Reeves and Law know how to find and evaluate talent which is why they had great success at UT. Holly can close a deal, but she left her “main recruiting” to those assistants .Law continues to show that at SC as we see. Jolette is one of the best.

I don’t see Holly moving to Louisiana, but could be wrong.

She was actually known as a mediocre recruiter as an assistant. When she was an assistant, DeMoss, Caldwell and Charles were recruiting coordinators for Pat's staff for a reason. That's why many of us never wanted her as the HC. She wasn't a good recruiter, she wasn't a good X's and O's coach and she wasn't a good motivator.

She was actually known as a mediocre recruiter as an assistant. When she was an assistant, DeMoss, Caldwell and Charles were recruiting coordinators for Pat's staff for a reason. That's why many of us never wanted her as the HC. She wasn't a good recruiter, she wasn't a good X's and O's coach and she wasn't a good motivator.
Welp, guess maybe Kim won't be giving her a call lol.

Any decent coach 7 or 8 class ? Let’s see....🤔

UConn has #1,5,15,30
SC. Has #2,3,4,14
Texas. Has #6,10,
N.D. Has #8, 16,
Stan. Has #11, 18
Five teams have the top 20 players pretty much gone but you want a top 7 or 8 ranked with whoever is left ? Good luck with that ?

UConn # 3, 5,
Or. St. #4, 10,
Stanford #1

That leaves five top ten players left that are not committed! There’s three final four teams with no top ten players as of yet so .... It’s going to be hard for them to become decent coaches unless they don’t get some recruits soon ! Just Saying 😈
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You even did all the work yourself in figuring out why I said 7 to 8 range. Nice job

VN Store

Back