Those saying Bailey would be odd man out and transfer.......

Exactly! Maurer is a high risk, but high reward guy. Which seems like what you would want if you have a suspect defense and are trying to outscore everyone. Bailey is more of a game manager type that Pruitt wanted.
With a defense as weak as our is going to be this year, I don't want a high risk guy that is going to turn the ball over. Our defense is going to get torched this season. The fewer opportunities our opponent gets on offense, the better in my opinion. Bailey completes a higher percentage of his passes. I think we'll score plenty of points with a QB that completes that high a percentage of his passes. I don't think we need to have a high risk/high reward guy.

Once again butchna, you’re not making a point. I’ve told you before we all came for a reason. Some born into it, some because of a certain player or team. You really think I’m offended because I became a fan of UT because of Brian? Nope. By calling me “less than” , you’re saying the same of those who are fans today because of Manning. You’re also saying you’re dead set against new fandom UNLESS born into it. THIS is why I think you’re the worst kind of fan to represent the team.
Are you or are you not a friend of Brian Maurer and/or his family? I don't think there is anything wrong with that. In fact, I think that's great. However, to pretend that you're not openly pulling for Brian to win the starting job is disingenuous.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Are you or are you not a friend of Brian Maurer and/or his family?
Why does that matter when I’m admitting I became a fan because of him? Some fans are fans today because of players past. Why should I be denied the opportunity to become one of them?

For the record, I think the starting QB job is very much up for grabs right now. From what I have seen last year and this year, I would currently give the nod to Bailey. However, there is a long way to go, and we obviously don't see everything that is happening in practice. Based on what I've seen, I do think that Maurer has improved, which is great for the team regardless of whether he becomes the starting QB or not. It is nice to see that these guys apparently are finally receiving competent coaching at the QB position.

Once again butchna, you’re not making a point. I’ve told you before we all came for a reason. Some born into it, some because of a certain player or team. You really think I’m offended because I became a fan of UT because of Brian? Nope. By calling me “less than” , you’re saying the same of those who are fans today because of Manning. You’re also saying you’re dead set against new fandom UNLESS born into it. THIS is why I think you’re the worst kind of fan to represent the team.
Manning was last here in the 97 season...do the freaking math! 24 seasons if you’re feeling lazy! sjt tries to back you up by stating that he’s a fan because of Heath Shuler, who played here 28 seasons ago. If you’re posting here 3 seasons after Maurer’s gone, I’ll reconsider and if I’m alive and Freak’s still maintaining this board 20 years later, I’d never bring the subject up...you’d be vetted. But to actually say you’re not clamoring for the reason you’re here is the epitome of dishonesty. You want the status of a long time fan without putting in the time...that’s also LAZY. You’re the worst kind of “fan” for having an issue with that thinking and selling a different narrative. You wouldn’t be here if Maurer hadn’t signed with us. FACT! So you don’t have to be “born” into our fandom...but you at least need to LIVE it.

Why does that matter when I’m admitting I became a fan because of him? Some fans are fans today because of players past. Why should I be denied the opportunity to become one of them?
I'm not saying that you can't be a fan. I'm saying that you've previously stated on here that you're a friend of the Maurer family (which I think is great, BTW). However, to try to hide that fact now and state that you are completely unbiased in your analysis is disingenuous. The fact that you're biased in your analysis doesn't mean you're wrong. I'll be the first one to admit that fact.

That’s just it. I’m not clamoring for anyone. However I’m not going to NOT face facts either. It’s easy to jump to conclusions based on Baileys performance but WHO he was playing against DOES play a part in success. Also, after Maurers performance, I find it unfair that he showed drastic improvement in decision making and yet STILL being called inconsistent and erratic. When the kid goes 9/15 with two drops, two throw aways and a batted ball at the line it only leaves one pass to support that claim. That’s absolute ridiculousness!
Your argument of who he played against holds no water if you refuse to factor in who he played with.

3rd team offense played 3rd team defense
2nd team offense played 2nd team defense
1st team offense played 1st team defense

Qbs rotated for each offense.

You think immigrants should be given IMMEDIATE citizenship because they WANT it?

I personally think Maurer is the most talented with the most upside. That’s no secret. But it’s not my system and not my team. Heupel will make that call on his own without my opinions. I was never “against” JG and I won’t be “against” whoever he chooses to run HIS system.
Not that we’d know. You’ll stop posting.

I'm not saying that you can't be a fan. I'm saying that you've previously stated on here that you're a friend of the Maurer family (which I think is great, BTW). However, to try to hide that fact now and state that you are completely unbiased in your analysis is disingenuous. The fact that you're biased in your analysis doesn't mean you're wrong. I'll be the first one to admit that fact.
I am biased but for good reason. I know more than most about him than the average fan and I wouldn’t believe in him the way I do if I hadn’t seen him go through it before. If he doesn’t beat the others out, there’s a reason. And that reason would be on HIM. Not his ability

Reactions: Vol423
Your argument of who he played against holds no water if you refuse to factor in who he played with.

3rd team offense played 3rd team defense
2nd team offense played 2nd team defense
1st team offense played 1st team defense

Qbs rotated for each offense.
Not true. Look at the first drive and look at the defense. That was first team defense vs second team O. Same for his second drive. He didn’t get to play with the #1 offense until the first drive of the second half but he faced the #1 defense 4 times.

You think immigrants should be given IMMEDIATE citizenship because they WANT it?
Absolutely not. I’m not Biden. I understand I have to “earn” my stripes. But trying to make me feel “less than” in the meantime is...... well, quite frankly it says a lot about YOU. Not me.

Absolutely not. I’m not Biden. I understand I have to “earn” my stripes. But trying to make me feel “less than” in the meantime is...... well, quite frankly it says a lot about YOU. Not me.
Don’t feel less...just pace yourself. Errything else is selling bs. Walk>run. Quit with the “I’m not clamoring” “I just want the best for MY team” crap. It’s insulting to people who were either born into the fanbase or put in some time after following a certain player. If desiring that from you says that about ME? I’ll own it. You’re weighing into our QB competition 5 years down the road and I won’t even suggest you’re not impartial.

I am biased but for good reason. I know more than most about him than the average fan and I wouldn’t believe in him the way I do if I hadn’t seen him go through it before. If he doesn’t beat the others out, there’s a reason. And that reason would be on HIM. Not his ability
Far as we know. Asking for a lot of faith out of us without evidence.

Far as we know. Asking for a lot of faith out of us without evidence.
I agree. I am. But there’s no doubt in my mind that if we got behind him and he felt welcomed, he would show everyone what I already know.

I agree. I am. But there’s no doubt in my mind that if we got behind him and he felt welcomed, he would show everyone what I already know.
He wins the job and it’ll be so. The “knowing” is the sticky part.

With a defense as weak as our is going to be this year, I don't want a high risk guy that is going to turn the ball over. Our defense is going to get torched this season. The fewer opportunities our opponent gets on offense, the better in my opinion. Bailey completes a higher percentage of his passes. I think we'll score plenty of points with a QB that completes that high a percentage of his passes. I don't think we need to have a high risk/high reward guy.
Heupel's offense is actually described as "high risk, high reward" because of the up-tempo, quick decisions, "air raid" style. There WILL be 3-and-outs. There WILL be interceptions. There WILL be 50-50 balls thrown. And, hopefully, there will be plenty of gaps hit, seams split, and long balls.

It's as peas and carrots offense. That's Heupel. There's not a "low risk" element to his offense.

Heupel's offense is actually described as "high risk, high reward" because of the up-tempo, quick decisions, "air raid" style. There WILL be 3-and-outs. There WILL be interceptions. There WILL be 50-50 balls thrown. And, hopefully, there will be plenty of gaps hit, seams split, and long balls.

It's as peas and carrots offense. That's Heupel. There's not a "low risk" element to his offense.
Is it similar to the 1997-1998 Kentucky Hal Mumme offense with Tim Couch?

What I’m saying is Bailey doesn’t have the capability of taking over a game with his legs if he had to. Never said he was a statue. And he hasn’t shown the ability or arm strength to fit into tight windows of a good covering defense either. Personally, I think Maurer just scares people because of how aggressive he is. It has NOTHING to do with “consistency” as so many like to attach it to. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, if Maurer is going to be expected to play error free to win some over and lose the “inconsistent” narrative, hang it up. Hell never be what we call “smooth and steady”. He’s going to attack your defense downfield and sometimes that’s going to cost him. On the flip side, he’ll more than likely put more points on the board than any of our other options.
Bro when has Mauer ever taken over a game with his legs?? I can go through his stats to show you inconsistency passing but that's for another day. Since you want to go to the spring here you go....

QB A- led 2 TD drives against the 2nd team & 3rd team defense. Other 4 drives were a FG and 3 punts

QB B- led 3TD drives 1 against all 3 defenses. Had a drive end at the half & threw a pick 6

QB C- led 4TD drives. 1 against 1st team, 2 against 2nd team, & 1 against 3rd team. With 1 punt.

You could have never watched football in your entire life and you would know QB C was the better QB. At the end of the day the offense's job is to score TD's and he did that better then the other Qb's period

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Apparently "some" have changed their minds. Some will. Have you looked for and found the guys who regurgitate the say stuff on Maurer or Hooker and chastised them for expressing their opinions?

You don't have to read my posts. I don't plan to stop until a moderator says so or I don't have a reason to post... similar responses to similar attacks.

I don't keep score of who I've agreed or disagreed with but seem to remember us disagreeing on some things... Is that what's under your skin?

To my knowledge ive never interacted with you until this thread.

My reason is that guys like you and the HB or bust guys simply sow discord among the fans..and it continues until one group prefers failure of the other guy more than success of the team.

Carry on...it is none of.my business. Was simply trying to point out how your urge to dedend Brian in against any who do less tham praise him.

With regard to the other camp...after last years total love fest with HB i gave up in that crowd. Any who questioned HB or said he was less than the greatest recruit ever was treated as a pariah. I gave up on slowing those guys down last season...

But...if your missions is to defend your favorite guy...go ahead. IMO little positive comes from these type things

Bro when has Mauer ever taken over a game with his legs?? I can go through his stats to show you inconsistency passing but that's for another day. Since you want to go to the spring here you go....

QB A- led 2 TD drives against the 2nd team & 3rd team defense. Other 4 drives were a FG and 3 punts

QB B- led 3TD drives 1 against all 3 defenses. Had a drive end at the half & threw a pick 6

QB C- led 4TD drives. 1 against 1st team, 2 against 2nd team, & 1 against 3rd team. With 1 punt.

You could have never watched football in your entire life and you would know QB C was the better QB. At the end of the day the offense's job is to score TD's and he did that better then the other Qb's period
901..... this is what you’re missing. I’m not saying Maurer was BETTER than Bailey on Saturday. What I’m saying is Maurer faced the first team defense more than any of the other qbs and only ONCE did he have the first team O. He was 9-15. That’s 6 incomplete passes. Two were dropped on perfectly thrown balls. That leaves 4. Two were thrown away. What’s the biggest complaint most had of Maurer in 2019? Trying to FORCE it. So you’d think the throw away would be welcomed. So that leaves 2. One was batted at the line and the other was too far inside for what I consider a D2 (at least D2 effort) receiver to adjust to. He threw 2 “inaccurate” passes and one was caught anyway on the WR screen of the first drive. Afterwards he was nearly perfect on the day himself.

Do you realize we’re all having an ENTIRELY different conversation if we were able to add the two drops to his totals? If they got tackled on the spot after the catch he would’ve been 11/15 for around 240 yards and still had 50+ yards rushing.

Yes Bailey was brilliant. I acknowledge that. But saying he was “better” than Maurer is not true when 2 of his 15 passes were throws that none of the others can make (Or at least haven’t SHOWN they can as of yet) vs Baileys “pitch and catch. I find it hard to believe that Bailey could have been in a full speed scramble to his right and throw a strike from 55 yards out to the middle of the field. I don’t think any of them could have tbh. The difficulty of that throw is completely out of the realm of possibility for anyone else on UTs roster that I’ve seen.

I don't get the arguments about which QB threw against which string defense. The rest of the offense was the same string as the defense they were playing against on that particular possession....watch footwork, progressions, ball placement etc of the three QBs.

Long story short Bailey vs Maurer this fall and don't be surprised if they both aren't still battling it out the first part of season. It's close right now and I expect it to be close through fall camp if both stay healthy.

Think we can all agree Hooker is distant 3rd and Milton is just depth.
Milton has the tools to be a good QB.

He's being brought in to legitimately compete. Because we need better than what we saw this past Saturday...

Reactions: GoVolunteers
To my knowledge ive never interacted with you until this thread.

My reason is that guys like you and the HB or bust guys simply sow discord among the fans..and it continues until one group prefers failure of the other guy more than success of the team.

Carry on...it is none of.my business. Was simply trying to point out how your urge to dedend Brian in against any who do less tham praise him.

With regard to the other camp...after last years total love fest with HB i gave up in that crowd. Any who questioned HB or said he was less than the greatest recruit ever was treated as a pariah. I gave up on slowing those guys down last season...

But...if your missions is to defend your favorite guy...go ahead. IMO little positive comes from these type things
Don’t know anybody who’s ever claimed he’s the GOAT...so I guess errybody joins your Tribes of Israel level journey through the desert.

Milton has the tools to be a good QB.

He's being brought in to legitimately compete. Because we need better than what we saw this past Saturday...
I don’t disagree with you much but Bailey and Maurer were both pretty damn good I thought. Hard to imagine much better imo

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back