What stuck out to you today?

Bout time Page had his moments. Dudes been here for so long.

Really hope French and Willis get to come back. Our defense looked like a damb division 3 team out there with guys like Shuler.

Hell half the team looked like walk ons
That's because they were....
part of the 2nd and most of the 3rd team were a bunch of walk-ons. Janceck had his big day against a bunch of Walk-ons. He caught long bombs from Maurer and Bailey....when he did he was being guarded by other walk-ons. Not Burrell....not Taylor. Hell not even Fields or Charles.

I'm really not understanding why people are not seeing who was 1st team defense against who was 2nd and 3rd...

What I learned is that if Bailey had played any less effectively, the usual suspects would have used the performance to bury him...but he didn’t but he didn’t.
Bailey should be judged by how he did against the 1st team defense.
He did decent against them. Missed Beckwith on what could have been a TD, but he still led then to points. That's what matters.

At the same time, he only went against them ONE time. I don't care if you prefer him. Thats your prerogative.

All I did personally was point out the point people conveniently gloss over for some reason.
-Maurer went against the 1st team defense 4 times.
-Bailey once.
- Hooker twice, and the last one was the last series of the game when Tillman made a great walkoff TD catch. He also threw a pick 6 the first go against them.

Heupel said it's still wide open. I believe him, but to me, the best QB right now, is Brian Maurer. The reps against 1st team Defense reflect that. It doesn't mean he is good enough to lead the team to victories yet. But he is QB1 right now.

You are correct. Hendon Hooker is still the QB1. Mauer is QB2, and Bailey will be at some other SEC school, and will stomp our ass in 22' and 23'.
Maurer is #1.
Bailey was 3rd but then earned more series against better competition as the game wore on.

Bailey can transfer now and play this season. Keep up with what's going on. The new transfer rule is so everyone can play IMMEDIATELY. Which is 2021...

Bailey should be judged by how he did against the 1st team defense.
He did decent against them. Missed Beckwith on what could have been a TD, but he still led then to points. That's what matters.

At the same time, he only went against them ONE time. I don't care if you prefer him. Thats your prerogative.

All I did personally was point out the point people conveniently gloss over for some reason.
-Maurer went against the 1st team defense 4 times.
-Bailey once.
- Hooker twice, and the last one was the last series of the game when Tillman made a great walkoff TD catch. He also threw a pick 6 the first go against them.

Heupel said it's still wide open. I believe him, but to me, the best QB right now, is Brian Maurer. The reps against 1st team Defense reflect that. It doesn't mean he is good enough to lead the team to victories yet. But he is QB1 right now.
Heard all this from you...multiple times. 😴 Doesn’t change what I posted once. Bailey doesn’t have a great exhibition yesterday and the same data would be used as a final verdict. You’ve been a Maurer sycophant since before his freshman season, so grades slaw taken.

Reactions: LittleVol
You are correct. Hendon Hooker is still the QB1. Mauer is QB2, and Bailey will be at some other SEC school, and will stomp our ass in 22' and 23'.
If that were to happen, I wouldn’t stress it. Pressure is the key to beating a qb like Bailey.

I’m not sure I’d be feeling like HH is qb1 anymore tbh either. I’d be shocked if he didn’t lose some credibility yesterday. And If it wasn’t for the last 14 practices I’d say HB moved himself even with him yesterday and Maurer has been even all along but the last 14 practices did happen and it’s been no secret that he’s fell behind. Do I think he made up ground on the competition yesterday? Absolutely. But Maurer did enough to help himself as well.

After yesterday, if I had to guess (and assuming the practice reports are correct) I’d say Maurer exits the spring with the slight edge and Bailey pulled even with Hooker for #2. But I do feel like the gap should be pretty wide. Maurers deep passes came against better defensive competition with 2s 3s and walk ons AND were not even in the same zip code of ease in comparison to Baileys.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbear01
This is what I'm afraid of. If you're going to run tempo you better score points or you're going to be gassed on defense reaaaaaal quick
As opposed to 3 and out or a interception.. Or fumbling at the LOS because the ball was held too long.. What the hell do you want?

Reactions: Border Vol
If that were to happen, I wouldn’t stress it. Pressure is the key to beating a qb like Bailey.

I’m not sure I’d be feeling like HH is qb1 anymore tbh either. I’d be shocked if he didn’t lose some credibility yesterday. And If it wasn’t for the last 14 practices I’d say HB moved himself even with him yesterday and Maurer has been even all along but the last 14 practices did happen and it’s been no secret that he’s fell behind. Do I think he made up ground on the competition yesterday? Absolutely. But Maurer did enough to help himself as well.

After yesterday, if I had to guess (and assuming the practice reports are correct) I’d say Maurer exits the spring with the slight edge and Bailey pulled even with Hooker for #2. But I do feel like the gap should be pretty wide. Maurers deep passes came against better defensive competition with 2s 3s and walk ons AND were not even in the same zip code of ease in comparison to Baileys.
So what your saying is that is basically a giving no matter what Maurer will start and it's always been that way?

So what your saying is that is basically a giving no matter what Maurer will start and it's always been that way?
No. I’m saying Maurer looked just as good vs better competition YESTERDAY. Accompanying that with reports from the last 14 practices and it’s easy to understand why just yesterday wouldn’t move him ahead of Maurer at the moment.

No. I’m saying Maurer looked just as good vs better competition YESTERDAY. Accompanying that with reports from the last 14 practices and it’s easy to understand why just yesterday wouldn’t move him ahead of Maurer at the moment.
Time will tell even tho I think Bailey has the edge beyond the competition Bailey looks like he is more poised and in control of the offense. Bailey control of the ball when he threw it and his accuracy on his 12 completions where pinpoint. Maurer just looks like he is better at running than he is at throwing the ball. Bailey ball placement looks better than anyone we have seen in the last decade. Maurer and Hooker looked like they needed to lean on the running game more than Bailey did not saying that the running game is not important because it is Bailey just looked like he could take control and push the ball down the field better than the other and I don't think it had to do with competition.

Time will tell even tho I think Bailey has the edge beyond the competition Bailey looks like he is more poised and in control of the offense. Bailey control of the ball when he threw it and his accuracy on his 12 completions where pinpoint. Maurer just looks like he is better at running than he is at throwing the ball. Bailey ball placement looks better than anyone we have seen in the last decade.
I respectfully disagree. Bailey WAS pinpoint so don’t get it twisted BUT Maurer was too. After Bailey threw his first td on the long ball (beautifully thrown) Maurer did the exact same thing on the very next play between the corner and safety. Same distance, same touch. He also did it again later in the game that went right through the receivers hands on the other side of the field. The very next play after that he launched a dime against his body 50+ yards downfield while on the run and hit him in stride. Later he threads a needle between defenders that requires the same accuracy you’re crediting Bailey with along with anticipation. My point is they were BOTH pinpoint but Maurers were more difficult by a long shot.

This is what stuck out the most to me.
View attachment 364311
Take a look at his record without David Cutcliffe. Then consider the fact he hired Pruitt and took second buyout during a pandemic. When so many others were asked to take a reduction in pay. If he really "stepped down", why did we owe him a buyout? Guy is definitely a VFL, but he tarnished his own image. Several times.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Heard all this from you...multiple times. 😴 Doesn’t change what I posted once. Bailey doesn’t have a great exhibition yesterday and the same data would be used as a final verdict. You’ve been a Maurer sycophant since before his freshman season, so grades slaw taken.
Maurer is better.
That's why he's the #1 QB right now.

I respectfully disagree. Bailey WAS pinpoint so don’t get it twisted BUT Maurer was too. After Bailey threw his first td on the long ball (beautifully thrown) Maurer did the exact same thing on the very next play between the corner and safety. Same distance, same touch. He also did it again later in the game that went right through the receivers hands on the other side of the field. The very next play after that he launched a dime against his body 50+ yards downfield while on the run and hit him in stride. Later he threads a needle between defenders that requires the same accuracy you’re crediting Bailey with along with anticipation. My point is they were BOTH pinpoint but Maurers were more difficult by a long shot.
We going to have respectfully disagree.

Understood. But I’m not sure how many people would think that Bailey can make those throws. There were two NFL caliber passes in that game and both belonged to Maurer.
What about the 4 or 5 balls that he threw behind his receivers? Forever good ball he threw he matched it up with one way off the mark. He was back and forth all day and he wasn't consistent. Bailey threw consistently good on 13 of 15 that he let go. I wouldn't expect Bailey to make those throw because he not a runner but those were not throws that Maurer can live and die off of because he going to die more time then live.

What about the 4 or 5 balls that he threw behind his receivers? Forever good ball he threw he matched it up with one way off the mark. He was back and forth all day and he wasn't consistent. Bailey threw consistently good on 13 of 15 that he let go.
His first two were a little off on the first drive. After that every single one hit its mark. Outside of those two the rest of his incomplete passes were obviously throw aways. Kinda part of the game that you have to accept

Reactions: Big Al Orange
That's because they were....
part of the 2nd and most of the 3rd team were a bunch of walk-ons. Janceck had his big day against a bunch of Walk-ons. He caught long bombs from Maurer and Bailey....when he did he was being guarded by other walk-ons. Not Burrell....not Taylor. Hell not even Fields or Charles.

I'm really not understanding why people are not seeing who was 1st team defense against who was 2nd and 3rd...
Yeah I know. I meant to say it just looks like half the entire team is walk ons.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back