What stuck out to you today?

Was surprised by HB consistency on each possession. Also, was thinking I’d see more from Hyatt but Tillman was making plays all day. Lastly Oline seem to be very well coached or the DLine is that bad.
The d-line was missing Latrell Bumphus and Aubrey Solomon, so it's probably the latter. The Junkyard Dog Elijah Simmons was also sidelined.

Last edited:
What’s the current status for Keyton ? Haven’t heard anything in him in awhile. Remembered he had some issues last year but I forgot what they were.

Was surprised by HB consistency on each possession. Also, was thinking I’d see more from Hyatt but Tillman was making plays all day. Lastly Oline seem to be very well coached or the DLine is that bad.
We were missing Bumphus, Solomon and Simmons on the d-line.

Reactions: onevol74 and Vol524
The big ol dip JH had in his lip when the camera was following him around during warmups

If Maurer and Hooker were indeed told to play ONLY from within the pocket (which sounds like it’s the case), it explains why Bailey looked the best today. They were being challenged to play outside of their style and therefore taking half of their game away, where Bailey was able to play within himself. IF that’s the case, I wouldn’t take anything from Bailey but at the same time, I wouldn’t take anything from Hooker or Maurer either as you can easily erase a few incomplete passes and replace it with positive rushing yards.
Mauer and Hooker escaped the pocket on several occasions, to gain positive yards and extend plays. Conversely, Bailey only scrambled for positive yards on 2 occasions, as the ball was away, on time, and on target to open receivers. Bailey is very comfortable in the pocket. His internal clock seems to be adjusted. He'll move two or three steps, left or right, step up into the pocket and hurt you.

Mauer and Hooker escaped the pocket on several occasions, to gain positive yards and extend plays. Conversely, Bailey only scrambled for positive yards on 2 occasions, as the ball was away, on time, and on target to open receivers. Bailey is very comfortable in the pocket. His internal clock seems to be adjusted. He'll move two or three steps, left or right, step up into the pocket and hurt you.
He was also facing the #2-3 defensive units. He only faced the #1 defense once where Maurer faced them on multiple occasions with the #2-3 offense. Maurer didn’t have the #1s until his first drive of the second half.

All I’m saying is there’s A LOT more to it than just looking at final stats to determine success in a spring game.

spring game. We didn't learn anything.
Kwanza Garland is a viable option at ILB.
Did not see that coming.
He didn't look out of his depth takling Beckwith and Small or taking on our 300+ lb Olineman. Page had his moments.
Still need Banks and Harrison to be ready. Hopefully French and Willis are able to come back

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I didn't see anything viable on defense and Jack Jancek had himself a day........and we'll never hear from him again. 5-7

Reactions: Border Vol
Kwanza Garland is a viable option at ILB.
Did not see that coming.
He didn't look out of his depth takling Beckwith and Small or taking on our 300+ lb Olineman. Page had his moments.
Still need Banks and Harrison to be ready. Hopefully French and Willis are able to come back
Bout time Page had his moments. Dudes been here for so long.

Really hope French and Willis get to come back. Our defense looked like a damb division 3 team out there with guys like Shuler.

Hell half the team looked like walk ons

I'm watching the replay now since I didn't get to see it live.

HB is looking sick!! Idc if it's practice or not. Those deep throws are right on the money. And we've been missing that.

We running the hurry up all the time now? Love it!

#4 CB don't know his name Buller, Bueler? Had the pick six. He could be a great corner. I hope he can keep up when the season starts and hope he has good reads and anticipation on the ball. Could see him getting a few more picks this season.

I'm only halfway into the game though. Second quarter is coming to an end. Liking it so far. A little worried about the D. But this offense got me feelin some type of way. I don't remember an orange and white game being this exciting to watch.

Oh yeah and so far theres been a few good runs by the RBs as well. So yep. Really liking the offense. And it'd only the 2nd quarter lol.

I hope we only get better from here. Don't see us being any worse than Cornbreads team.

Edit : Also that Maurer throw on the run was pretty epic. 60 something yards in the air I believe.

Reactions: 1vol8
He was also facing the #2-3 defensive units. He only faced the #1 defense once where Maurer faced them on multiple occasions with the #2-3 offense. Maurer didn’t have the #1s until his first drive of the second half.

All I’m saying is there’s A LOT more to it than just looking at final stats to determine success in a spring game.
You are correct. Hendon Hooker is still the QB1. Mauer is QB2, and Bailey will be at some other SEC school, and will stomp our ass in 22' and 23'.

VN Store

Back