What stuck out to you today?

It'll be good for both them.
Maurer played his 1st 3 series against the 1st team defense. But
Bailey out of his 7 series in the entire game played against the 1st team defense ONCE. But he engineered a TD on that drive.
Maurer will be transferring to a mid-major IMO.

Offense looked improved and fast especially Bailey. Our defense as expected didn’t look good. 6-6 is the ceiling this season

All the defense bashing gets me. We are not going to be an ELITE defense this year. But, we are better than we played Saturday. We had at least 5 or 6 starters that did not play. Besides, everyone has been crying about what a poor Offense we had in previous years. Saturday the offense was AWESOME. Now we cry about the Defense. If the Defense had shut down the Offense we would be crying about how the Offense has not improved. There is no pleasing some people. JMHO

All the defense bashing gets me. We are not going to be an ELITE defense this year. But, we are better than we played Saturday. We had at least 5 or 6 starters that did not play. Besides, everyone has been crying about what a poor Offense we had in previous years. Saturday the offense was AWESOME. Now we cry about the Defense. If the Defense had shut down the Offense we would be crying about how the Offense has not improved. There is no pleasing some people. JMHO
Cause we like to cry... 😂

What stuck out most to me was: 1) the success at getting plays snapped with 30 seconds plus on the play clock most of the time and most sideline adjustments still saw the ball snapped with over 20 seconds 2) how similar the quarterback mechanics looked. All of the quarterbacks had much more commonality in how they executed fakes, and rotated their bodies as they went through progressions, etc. It is evident that Heupel is getting them collectively to do what he wants...which stands in stark contrast to our recent experiences with that position.

What stuck out most to me was: 1) the success at getting plays snapped with 30 seconds plus on the play clock most of the time and most sideline adjustments still saw the ball snapped with over 20 seconds 2) how similar the quarterback mechanics looked. All of the quarterbacks had much more commonality in how they executed fakes, and rotated their bodies as they went through progressions, etc. It is evident that Heupel is getting them collectively to do what he wants...which stands in stark contrast to our recent experiences with that position.
Unlike the last coaching staff with defense being Pruitt’s “expertise” yet looking mediocre after 3 yrs....in one spring Heupel has his “expertise”...the offense looking light years ahead compared to 3 yrs of the last staff. Say what you want....but it looks like some solid damn coaching.

Bailey stood out. I realize that a scrimmage where the QB can't get hit or isn't supposed to run much is going to take away some of Maurer's skillset, but I still think Bailey looked better. Considering what we've seen from actual playing time in games plus this spring game, Bailey seems to be getting better each time we see him. He showed under pressure last season that he was capable of getting rid of the ball quick and also could run for a few yards at times. He's not an escape artist, but he's not a statue. I think he's the best passer on the team and also might be the best at protecting the ball right now.

As far as Maurer is concerned, he's got a massive amount of potential and can flat out make plays with his arm or legs. He could easily be the guy, but he just seems to be inconsistent. He'll only get better, but multiple reports during spring have said he's the guy most capable of wowing you with a big play but also frustrating you with a mistake.

I personally think you have to give the edge to Bailey heading into the summer, but the gap is small and could quickly shift. Hooker is a guy you like to have as a backup. He's got experience, he's mobile, and he can be productive throwing the ball...not extremely productive, but he's capable of at least providing a threat to complete some passes.

Sorry just can't get excited about a white wr in sec play
I have a dream that one day players will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the abundance of their athleticism, the volatility of their vertical, the speed of their sprint, and the enthusiasm of their efforts.

Last edited:
Maurer is still a freshman! What a lucky guy! Year three and getting to start against Alabama as a freshman, then a couple of years later you are still a freshman? 🤯

Maurer is still a freshman! What a lucky guy! Year three and getting to start against Alabama as a freshman, then a couple of years later you are still a freshman? 🤯
He didn’t redshirt his actual freshman year did he? So that year counted...last one didn’t, meaning he’s a sophomore for the 2021 season.

And to make matters worse, he injured his hand on that play. Only played that one snap.
Did that really make matters worse? From my perspective it would have made matters better several games last year if he went out after one play!

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Mose said he just can't get excited about a WHITE boy receiver in the SEC. My comment is that WHITE boy got open and made some great catches. I don't care if you are green. You play like he did today and I get excited.
@sona

Ah figures. I don't recall who was covering him, but he caught it in stride and was gone. That's what we need. People running the right routes and the QB putting it on the money. The rest is BS.

VN Store

Back