What stuck out to you today?

Who stuck out to me:

#15 Kwanze Garland actually looked respectable at ILB. He's 6'1 218. And he did great tacking on OL. Played physical. Was a walk-on Safety 2 years ago now on Scholarship, and will help us at LB this year.

# 69 Dayne Davis at LT. Wth?? Where did this dude come from!? Seriously, this guy looked as solid as Cade Mays.

#82 Andison Coby at WR. Made good tough catches today. Super quick!

#20 Jabari Small at RB. He just produces!

#4 Cedric Tillman at WR. He just catches everything. He's hard to bring down, and deceptively fast.

Lastly
#88 Princeton Fant at TE. He looks like the most consistent TE we have had in a while. He's going to have a big year.

Offense was airing it out...defense was decent....but you have to think about the kind of offense they were going against. If that was a traditional offense they were going against, they may have been fine.

Reactions: GameTime
I’d say 4-8 is a reasonable guess. Maybe we can get it up by a few wins?

O&W games are fun family events that display some talent but not enough to really show us what’s under the hood.

What stuck out to me today ? JG's first pass in the Washington state spring game was a INT. Walked off injured and didn't return. SSDD

Reactions: GameTime
Disclaimer...I’m not an OL coach. But some “man on man” systems are OK with maulers playing at 330+. They are not good fits for zone schemes or spread

Tatum is a good example. He came to Ut to play in Jones scheme at around 260. He gradually put weight on but was usually around 290-300. Then Pruitt’s style was more smash mouth ball and he was passed by bigger guys like Morris, Wright, etc. if he got up to a legit 325 and was effective, it took him all 5 years to do so.
Dude Huepel's starting LT weighed 335lbs last year and the LG was 320lbs. We didnt have a starting OL over 335lbs last year. Wanya was like 315lbs at LT, Jamir was maybe 305-310lbs and Trey was about 320 at LG. Their center was the only starter under 310lbs and he is pretty much the same size as Cooper if not a little bigger. U dont need 290-300lb olineman to run this system bc its not a finesse system, its a power iso system. Its not a triple option offense that requires a ton of cut blocks where you need smaller lineman. This system is more closer to an OU and Art Briles Baylor mix. You have never heard of OU recruiting smaller lineman for their system. They consistently field one of the largest OL's in the country. Orlando Brown was 6'8 350 starting at LT. Pretty sure he went 1st round. They dont get smaller they recruit big guys that can move, which has always been the SEC way. You are right Tatum did have to put on weight at UT like most olineman from the Botch era bc he recruited project players, but it doesnt change the fact that he was 325lbs when he transfered to UCF. He wouldnt be there if 325lbs was too big for their system. I will say it again, "As long as the guy is a good athlete, which he should be at an SEC school, they will be just fine at their current size." Being BIG in football and being FAT in football are 2 totally different things.

Dude Huepel's starting LT weighed 335lbs last year and the LG was 320lbs. We didnt have a starting OL over 335lbs last year. Wanya was like 315lbs at LT, Jamir was maybe 305-310lbs and Trey was about 320 at LG. Their center was the only starter under 310lbs and he is pretty much the same size as Cooper if not a little bigger. U dont need 290-300lb olineman to run this system bc its not a finesse system, its a power iso system. Its not a triple option offense that requires a ton of cut blocks where you need smaller lineman. This system is more closer to an OU and Art Briles Baylor mix. You have never heard of OU recruiting smaller lineman for their system. They consistently field one of the largest OL's in the country. Orlando Brown was 6'8 350 starting at LT. Pretty sure he went 1st round. They dont get smaller they recruit big guys that can move, which has always been the SEC way. You are right Tatum did have to put on weight at UT like most olineman from the Botch era bc he recruited project players, but it doesnt change the fact that he was 325lbs when he transfered to UCF. He wouldnt be there if 325lbs was too big for their system. I will say it again, "As long as the guy is a good athlete, which he should be at an SEC school, they will be just fine at their current size." Being BIG in football and being FAT in football are 2 totally different things.
Please don’t take what I am saying out of context. I never said we are running the triple option. I originally said that this offense does not want nor require the same type of bodies as Pruitt’s offense. Is that still open for debate?

Look at the offers, we released Gooch from his NLI and are not recruiting Hood. We sign a Juco and offered a lot of new - less widely recruited - players with taller, leaner frames. Dane Davis might be the LT and he’s a solid 6’6 and about 320.

O Brown was recruited by Heupel, but never played for him. Riley was brought in to slow down the offense, relatively speaking. Tatum might be the better example because he transferred into Heupels system after getting passed under Pruitt.

RB's looked pretty good. HB looked good. Its the spring game, means nothing really.

Please don’t take what I am saying out of context. I never said we are running the triple option. I originally said that this offense does not want nor require the same type of bodies as Pruitt’s offense. Is that still open for debate?

Look at the offers, we released Gooch from his NLI and are not recruiting Hood. We sign a Juco and offered a lot of new - less widely recruited - players with taller, leaner frames. Dane Davis might be the LT and he’s a solid 6’6 and about 320.

O Brown was recruited by Heupel, but never played for him. Riley was brought in to slow down the offense, relatively speaking. Tatum might be the better example because he transferred into Heupels system after getting passed under Pruitt.
Man the fact that he recruited Brown at 6'8 355lbs tells you all u need to know. Gooch and Hood arent big time recruits so there are literally thousands of reasons why Heupel wouldnt want them. BTW that Juco lineman is Crawford, who is going to step on campus at 315lbs. At 6'6 he aint getting smaller, he will be 320 by the end of the summer. As far as Dayne Davis, he is listed at 6'7 325lbs on the spring roster. That would make him bigger then Wanya, Jamir, Trey, & Kennedy. Crawford would also be bigger then all of those guys except Trey. Mizzou had 7 olinemen that weighed more then 325lbs in 2017 and Heupel got 500yards per game and was 14th nationally in scoring. He currently has 8 olinemen at UT that are over 325lbs. Based off current OL rotations, we will most likely field an oline that's bigger then last year's oline.

If Maurer and Hooker were indeed told to play ONLY from within the pocket (which sounds like it’s the case), it explains why Bailey looked the best today. They were being challenged to play outside of their style and therefore taking half of their game away, where Bailey was able to play within himself. IF that’s the case, I wouldn’t take anything from Bailey but at the same time, I wouldn’t take anything from Hooker or Maurer either as you can easily erase a few incomplete passes and replace it with positive rushing yards.
Can’t take anything away from Bailey. He was poised and surgical yesterday. Hooker and Maurer...busting runs is their thing. Especially Hooker from the games I watched of him at VT. There were some wide open lanes were the WRs had defenders leave a void for easy 10 yd gains. He’d pulled those and took it in the past.
In 2 seasons he threw for 2894 yds 22 TDs 7 INTs rushed 1033 yds 15 TDs.
He was a weapon to bust a run in the blink of an eye if he saw voids like he had yesterday. He was VT’s 2nd leading rusher for 2019 & 2020.
Really makes me think Heupel wanted them to work on progressions and pocket awareness. Who knows? Just didn’t look like the guy I’ve seen in the past.

Reactions: 1vol8
Hard to tell just how good or bad the defense will be. First off, the fact that we were playing so many scrubs early on is telling of the lack of depth on the defensive side. Lots of guys out. LB depth and talent is a major concern, but I was impressed with K. Garland's speed and athleticism...just needs 15 lbs. or so to take on interior lineman play after play. M. Joseph showed flashes, but also seemed lost at times. D. Bailey looks like he could help. W. Burrell made a nice play...

Definitely need to hit the portal for help/depth at the LB position.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Lol. You think so based on today? Think of yourself as a defender. Do you seriously think a corner with cover skills would fear Bailey over Maurer based on today? Let me tell you my in depth analysis. What I seen today was a defensive line that couldn’t get into the backfield. BECAUSE of that Bailey was ABLE to throw from a clean pocket and therefore excelled. If I’m a defensive coordinator, I’m not trying to give the qb all day and plan to apply pressure. Pressure got to Maurer on occasion today and he had 50 (ish) yards rushing on NOT ONE designed qb run. He showed he’s just as accurate as any of them AND he’s able to throw accurately from off platform. If I were an opposing defender I would KNOW I better stick to my man and defend every blade of grass until the whistle blows with Maurer in the game. On the flip side, I’d KNOW if the front 7 can just get pressure on Bailey, I only have to stay with my man a few seconds a play.

Again. Bailey looked good today and I’m not taking anything from him. But to suggest he was “better” than Maurer based on stats is once again..... idiotic. The QUALITY of deep accuracy has to play a part in your analysis. If it doesn’t, you’re banking on having a clean pocket all year long. This competition isn’t over by a long shot. All Bailey did today is say “I’m not going away easily” and I like that.
Maurer is 2nd string or gone via transfer. Say your goodbyes.

VN Store

Back