SIAP - Interesting article Donnie Tyndall

Tyndall took over a program with 3 or 4 scholarship players at most. Richardson & Moore were very good thou. No signees. To take a team molded together in a few months to 16-16 was a damn good job. I think he’s over the top saying multiple Final Fours thou. Maybe a little stab at Ricky from Hickory.

Tyndalls program could win but it would be a completely different culture than what Tennessee has now. Last thing Tennessee needs with a football program run in the ditch by a gump is to have a Mbb running on the edge. I’m not sure Tyndall wouldn’t be fuel on the fire if he were still here. NCAA has a way of destroying guys who come up thru the mid major ranks with no blue blood affiliation

Tyndall took over a program with 3 or 4 scholarship players at most. Richardson & Moore were very good thou. No signees. To take a team molded together in a few months to 16-16 was a damn good job. I think he’s over the top saying multiple Final Fours thou. Maybe a little stab at Ricky from Hickory.

Tyndalls program could win but it would be a completely different culture than what Tennessee has now. Last thing Tennessee needs with a football program run in the ditch by a gump is to have a Mbb running on the edge. I’m not sure Tyndall wouldn’t be fuel on the fire if he were still here. NCAA has a way of destroying guys who come up thru the mid major ranks with no blue blood affiliation

Donnie did have an amazing recruiting haul. But it makes you go “hmmm” when so many of them bailed out rather than play for Barnes. McGhee, Owens, and Carmichael would have really helped Barnes get off to a faster start. But they could have been bad for the chemistry and culture. Plus their exits cleared the way for Fulk and Grant to sign up.

It was interesting when McGhee’s aunt and cousin were VN posters. They weren’t Barnes fans. Good times.

Donnie did have an amazing recruiting haul. But it makes you go “hmmm” when so many of them bailed out rather than play for Barnes. McGhee, Owens, and Carmichael would have really helped Barnes get off to a faster start. But they could have been bad for the chemistry and culture. Plus their exits cleared the way for Fulk and Grant to sign up.

It was interesting when McGhee’s aunt and cousin were VN posters. They weren’t Barnes fans. Good times.

Barnes has a hard enough time getting his own signees to play for him.

Barnes has a hard enough time getting his own signees to play for him.

He plays most games with about 7 or 8 players. Many of the 5 or 6 further down the rotation were recruited over. He has helped most that weren’t satisfied with their roles find better situations. Turnover, especially with relaxed transfer rules, isn’t at all unusual. But it does create an opportunity to throw shade by the clueless posters.

Reactions: OllVol
Tyndall is a liar and a cheat. He deserves to banned from the sport. Initially when Tyndall was under investigation, he pointed the finger at one of his previous assistant coaches for turning him in— which turned out not to be the case. This article is such crap !!!

Please cite your evidence that Donnie cheated.
The assistant you're referring to, I don't recall his name, actually changed his story, so he was either lying the first time or lying the second time he was questioned in the investigation. Hell, Dork and Coach K bought Zion Williamson's mama a luxurious new house and Will Wade made one LSU recruit a "strong-ass offer". Yet it's a former UT coach who suffers the ignominy of being being relegated to coaching almost-college basketball while those who definitely committed provable ncaa infractions got off scot free.

Last edited:
Reactions: patrick
His and Pearl's show causes are two of the most ridiculous in NCAA history. Especially in light of what other coaches were getting away with. But if you cheat at a school like Southern Miss you're going to be made into an example for any other small school that tries to compete with the big name programs.
Pearl has no one to blame but himself. He lied to the NCAA about an insignificant violating and dug his own hole. That was just plain stupid.
I like him as much as any basketball coach we have ever had at Tennessee, but he was not very smart. Take the slap on the wrist and go about doing your job. Without the lying, he would still be our coach and we would have been a consistent contender for NCAA titles. That being said, I am very pleased with Barnes as our coach and hopes he retires here.

Reactions: OllVol
He plays most games with about 7 or 8 players. Many of the 5 or 6 further down the rotation were recruited over. He has helped most that weren’t satisfied with their roles find better situations. Turnover, especially with relaxed transfer rules, isn’t at all unusual. But it does create an opportunity to throw shade by the clueless posters.

I’m clueless why a coach signs a 4 star at a position of dire need and chooses to never play the guy 1 sec. if he was that bad, why did he sign him to begin with? Appears posters aren’t the only one clueless.

Reactions: patrick
I’m clueless why a coach signs a 4 star at a position of dire need and chooses to never play the guy 1 sec. if he was that bad, why did he sign him to begin with? Appears posters aren’t the only one clueless.

I’ll go out on a limb and say that there is more to it than Basilio’s endless rant that Barnes decided he does not like him.

Reactions: JohnnyJava

Coaches can’t run background checks on these kids nor predict their work ethic during practice.

Walker never put in the work to become a great player here.

You’re acting like Barnes is the only coach to ever sign a recruit and have him not work out.

when you are the coach and you have players with serious academic challenges, you try to help them! At some schools, they would have been given the keys to a Ferrari! He wasn't giving them money--he was helping them in class! A WIN, WIN, WIN!

Coaches can’t run background checks on these kids nor predict their work ethic during practice.

Walker never put in the work to become a great player here.

You’re acting like Barnes is the only coach to ever sign a recruit and have him not work out.

Also happened to Burns.

Pearl has no one to blame but himself. He lied to the NCAA about an insignificant violating and dug his own hole. That was just plain stupid.
I like him as much as any basketball coach we have ever had at Tennessee, but he was not very smart. Take the slap on the wrist and go about doing your job. Without the lying, he would still be our coach and we would have been a consistent contender for NCAA titles. That being said, I am very pleased with Barnes as our coach and hopes he retires here.

Multiple NCAA coaches lied to the NCAA during investigations. None got Pearl level hammered. Frank Haith told 3 different stories about repaying 100k to a booster who had been buying Miami players before coming clean, he got an 8 game suspension. Pearl got an 8 game SEC suspension for something that wasn't even a violation it turned out. The Haith deal was about 12 months after Pearl. His 3 year show cause was giving someone 10 years for stealing bread. It absolutely screwed Tennessee and likely cost us at least one final four, maybe more.

Compared to the NCAA and how it's run Tyndall is a saint ;say UNC and WIll Wade, etc.
I wish the guy well.

Says the guy with the Orange Colored glasses riveted to his head and brown drool.

Multiple NCAA coaches lied to the NCAA during investigations. None got Pearl level hammered. Frank Haith told 3 different stories about repaying 100k to a booster who had been buying Miami players before coming clean, he got an 8 game suspension. Pearl got an 8 game SEC suspension for something that wasn't even a violation it turned out. The Haith deal was about 12 months after Pearl. His 3 year show cause was giving someone 10 years for stealing bread. It absolutely screwed Tennessee and likely cost us at least one final four, maybe more.
The NCAA being inconsistent and inept and Pearl being an idiot who dug his own grave are not mutually exclusive things.

VN Store

Back