Corey Walker Enters Transfer Portal

If this was 2003 sure. I don’t care about that. But he doesn’t have SEC skills and he never grew into his body.

I just never understood why a guy with that height decides to shoot 3 pointers( which he isn't really good at anyway)

What did RB see in him?

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
I just never understood why a guy with that height decides to shoot 3 pointers( which he isn't really good at anyway)

What did RB see in him?

Because he weighed 170 pounds you want him playing against guys in the post?

Reactions: b_gann
To be fair, it's fair to wonder why we've taken kids sometimes that everybody basically from the start has assumed would never contribute in a meaningful way, particularly in the post. Thats a fair criticism and should be factored in when considering Barnes' recruiting "busts" or whatever you want to call them. It does seem like that is happening less now, though

I understand your point and agree to an extent but I disagree everyone knew they would never contribute...they were taken as projects who CRB and staff thought could be developed into players which is what every other program does short of the blue bloods

I don't think Pember made sense. A 6'10 kid who can't play around the basket is a red flag.
Yeah Toni Kukoc, Peja Stoyakovic, Tom Chambers, and dozens of other stretch 4’s who are perimeters oriented weren’t worth it. I was hoping he’d turn into a Chambers type player but he was worth a shot for sure.

Yeah Toni Kukoc, Peja Stoyakovic, Tom Chambers, and dozens of other stretch 4’s who are perimeters oriented weren’t worth it. I was hoping he’d turn into a Chambers type player but he was worth a shot for sure.

No he wasn't. He was no where close to being like those players. For starters, he can't shoot. His offer list was weak. He played like he would break if he was bumped.

He's at the perfect place now. Should've started there.

Had the impression he was a P5 level talent although we never got the opportunity to see for ourselves!

It’s not like it’s a fortune telling. You have a over a year to get to know these kids. Campus visits, home visits, talk to their coaches and school faculty. It’s something you want to get an idea for before you offer them a scholarship. I understand missing on some but not 50% like Barnes seems to be doing currently.
Why is it every time a kid leaves a program it is the head coache's fault?

There doesn’t have to be turnover. Barnes could keep guys buried on the bench for 3 years and get some production their junior and senior years. Instead he’s been recruiting over the existing end of the bench. He’s not giving out unlimited passes for those that aren’t holding up their end of the bargain. Sometimes addition by subtraction is a thing and Barnes has been around long enough to make good decisions on those things.

Very few teams go 8 or 10 deep with 4 and 5 stars. The Deacon is trending in that direction.

Or because they are teenagers that grew up being told that their **** doesn’t stink and they fail to take their next step in life successfully. It’s not like coaches get to do background checks on them as if they were applying to be FBI agents.
Also a good chance that an 18 year old gets to college w/ freedom, drugs, girls, etc. and shows traits they didn't show at home.

Reactions: cncchris33
Sometimes it’s hard to differentiate fault and responsibility. With the limited info fans get, we tend to blame the guy getting the biggest pay check. The roster is his responsibility although a player leaving may not be his “fault.”

Ultimately, it’s his call who they recruit and his responsibility to vet those players.

Really? Tom Chambers was one hell of an athlete. He ran the floor well and had some hops (his dunk over Mark Jackson in '89 is one of the best ever). I wouldn't say that he was perimeter oriented either. He was a complete player (on offense, he never bothered with playing defense). Tall and white are the only traits Pember has in common with Tom Chambers.

Reactions: wmcovol
No he wasn't. He was no where close to being like those players. For starters, he can't shoot. His offer list was weak. He played like he would break if he was bumped.

He's at the perfect place now. Should've started there.

Disagree. He had a good stroke but never got the time and shots to get in a rhythm because his release was a little slow. He needed to add weight, but played with good energy and effort. His biggest problem was he didn’t have the feet. Just not athletic enough.

I was hoping Pember could be a Vol version of Frank Kornet at Vandy but I never saw Pember hit a 3.

I was hoping Pember could be a Vol version of Frank Kornet at Vandy but I never saw Pember hit a 3.
Luke Kornet or Frank (Frank is his father)...I guess it could be either. I think this was the hope for Zach Kent, as well. Both guys just never developed into that Kornet-type player, unfortunately.

Luke Kornet or Frank (Frank is his father)...I guess it could be either. I think this was the hope for Zach Kent, as well. Both guys just never developed into that Kornet-type player, unfortunately.
Man I knew a close friend of Kent’s “caretaker”, basically his acting parent in Knoxville, at UT. Both Kent and her were completely delusional in his abilities. I won’t post specific things that were told to me about what they thought about Kent’s role in the program, but they basically thought Kent was getting held back by Barnes. They were unbelievably delusional.

VN Store

Back