The Official #3 Tennessee vs #2 Vandy Weekend Series Thread (Game 1 Friday @ 7PM) (Game 2 Saturday @ 4PM) (Game 3 Sunday @ 1PM)

We will be fortunate to win one game in the series. We are overmatched against these guys, especially in the pitching department. We have no hitters that seriously cause Vanderbilt pitching to sweat.

Reactions: Border Vol
Kumar Rocker is the #2 prospect in all of amateur baseball. Get with it people. Stop being idiots. He’s the second best arm in baseball. The best arm is coming up tomorrow. Any of you morans that overreact to every loss (ie fire Barnes) need to go take turns digging holes and filling them in as opposed to posting dumb isht here. Vitello is building a machine. Stop being so ignorant. Tip your hat to Rocker, and buckle up for tomorrow because Leiter is gonna SHUV it.

We will be fortunate to win one game in the series. We are overmatched against these guys, especially in the pitching department. We have no hitters that seriously cause Vanderbilt pitching to sweat.
No offense brother but you have no idea what you are talking about.
1. Dallas and Rocker had similar numbers with
Rocker having a slightly better outing
** had Dallas got strikes that were literally
in the other batter’s box, he may have
thrown a no-no because his control was
better (strike 3 for Rocker below)
1618632786566.jpeg

2. Hard hit balls were equal for both offenses
3. Defense was the major factor tonight and
you obviously are unaware that Vandy has
been one of the worst defenses in the SEC

Were you claiming Georgia owned Rocker and the Dores when Georgia kicked their ass last weekend in Nashville 2 of 3 games?

No offense brother but you have no idea what you are talking about.
1. Dallas and Rocker had similar numbers with
Rocker having a slightly better outing
** had Dallas got strikes that were literally
in the other batter’s box, he may have
thrown a no-no because his control was
better (strike 3 for Rocker below)
View attachment 362867

2. Hard hit balls were equal for both offenses
3. Defense was the major factor tonight and
you obviously are unaware that Vandy has
been one of the worst defenses in the SEC

Were you claiming Georgia owned Rocker and the Dores when Georgia kicked their ass last weekend in Nashville 2 of 3 games?
Thanks for the reality check...much needed by some of our reactionary "fans".

I suffered through the Lastros too. Nolan Ryan building the farm teams was a big part of the success.

Me three. I remember the years sitting in the upper stands when few were in attendance, I could hear Ryan's fastball hitting the mitt, even at that distance.

Ryan was the main reason I went to those games.

Reactions: txbo and chuckiepoo
Kumar Rocker is the #2 prospect in all of amateur baseball. Get with it people. Stop being idiots. He’s the second best arm in baseball. The best arm is coming up tomorrow. Any of you morans that overreact to every loss (ie fire Barnes) need to go take turns digging holes and filling them in as opposed to posting dumb isht here. Vitello is building a machine. Stop being so ignorant. Tip your hat to Rocker, and buckle up for tomorrow because Leiter is gonna SHUV it.
Pretty much spot on. I had no expectations this weekend. Even with Vandy being somewhat banged up, they still had those 2 arms. My hope was always and still is on Sunday. Get one this weekend and it's a solid weekend for this team. The other thing fans get caught up with is the ranking. I know this won't sit well with the kids on this board, but UT is ranked too high. Don't get me wrong, they've earned the spot by winning the way they have, but let's be honest...they still struggle to put the bats on the ball up and down the lineup. They've won some games that maybe they shouldn't have and that's a compliment, but when you reach the point of lining up against arms like Vandy has, you'd better have some kids who can swing the bat all up and down your lineup. UT just doesn't have that right now.
I'm gonna get a good seat and watch the best pitcher in baseball today operate and try to ignore the fact that it's UT he's doing it to. Even if we get swept this weekend, it's still wonderful to be winning like we are and to have no doubts about making Hoover for goodness sakes. In reality, UT might not really be top 5 material this year, but we certainly will be legit top 5 soon. I really believe in this coach that much. Just a matter of time.

Pretty much spot on. I had no expectations this weekend. Even with Vandy being somewhat banged up, they still had those 2 arms. My hope was always and still is on Sunday. Get one this weekend and it's a solid weekend for this team. The other thing fans get caught up with is the ranking. I know this won't sit well with the kids on this board, but UT is ranked too high. Don't get me wrong, they've earned the spot by winning the way they have, but let's be honest...they still struggle to put the bats on the ball up and down the lineup. They've won some games that maybe they shouldn't have and that's a compliment, but when you reach the point of lining up against arms like Vandy has, you'd better have some kids who can swing the bat all up and down your lineup. UT just doesn't have that right now.
I'm gonna get a good seat and watch the best pitcher in baseball today operate and try to ignore the fact that it's UT he's doing it to. Even if we get swept this weekend, it's still wonderful to be winning like we are and to have no doubts about making Hoover for goodness sakes. In reality, UT might not really be top 5 material this year, but we certainly will be legit top 5 soon. I really believe in this coach that much. Just a matter of time.

Vandy is just like everyone else, they have won games they should not have.

They have one arm that seems to be unbeatable and that’s Leiter. You seem to think Vandy has these amazing hitters up & down their lineup and that’s just not reality.
Georgia’s Webb struck them out 13 times in 6 innings last weekend. Need I say that was utter domination. We beat Webb and it’s just the way baseball goes. TN has higher rated position player prospects than Vandy. Burke said it last night post game, Rocker and Dallas had similar outings and similar numbers. The difference was defense.

They have one arm that seems to be unbeatable and that’s Leiter. You seem to think Vandy has these amazing hitters up & down their lineup and that’s just not reality.
Georgia’s Webb struck them out 13 times in 6 innings last weekend. Need I say that was utter domination. We beat Webb and it’s just the way baseball goes. TN has higher rated position player prospects than Vandy. Burke said it last night post game, Rocker and Dallas had similar outings and similar numbers. The difference was defense.
Vanderbilt SEC batting average (1), OBP (2), hits (1, tied with Ole Miss), doubles (1), triples (1), Home runs (ties for 5), RBI (3), and slugging percentage (1).

This is the best hitting team in Vandy history, and that is saying something. Look at the batting average top to bottom of this lineup, Tennessee isn’t even close. Vandy’s nine hole hitter would bat in the top four of most college teams. It’s possible that Rocker and Leiter will go 1-2 in the draft. Dallas is a good pitcher but come on.

Last edited:
Vanderbilt SEC batting average (1), OBP (2), hits (1, tied with Ole Miss), doubles (1), triples (1), Home runs (ties for 5), RBI (3), and slugging percentage (1).

This is the best hitting team in Vandy history, and that is saying something. Look at the batting average top to bottom of this lineup, Tennessee isn’t even close. Vandy’s nine hole hitter would bat in the top four of most college teams. It’s possible that Rocker and Leiter will go 1-2 in the draft. Dallas is a good pitcher but come on.

Yeah, I have been very impressed with your guy's offense this season. Just our luck Rocker would return to form against us.

Out coached? Coaching had nothing to do with the outcome.

Out played - hell yes
Just a hunch, but baseball is probably the easiest sport to coach.

maxresdefault.jpg

You’ve taken the homerism too far at this point. Now the statistics that have been used forever to measure offensive performance, and completely refute your argument, are irrelevant.

Reactions: txbo
I'd say golf... You see that hole? Try and hit the ball near it
I said "coach" not teach. And you don't have a coach with you during a tournament. Just practice.

The Vols got outplayed, "coaches decisions" didn't loose that game.

So when Tony got tossed, what do the actual rules state for the situation where the base runner catches (or interferes with) a ball carrying foul before it hits 3rd base? I think Tony's point was "what if that ball hits turf and bounces fair?"

So when Tony got tossed, what do the actual rules state for the situation where the base runner catches (or interferes with) a ball carrying foul before it hits 3rd base? I think Tony's point was "what if that ball hits turf and bounces fair?"

I think that’s accurate as far as CTV’s argument. Based on what the announcers said, the ump has to make a judgment call, was it “likely the ball would bounce fair or foul.” That’s the way I took it anyway.

Should have been called interference. I’m sure umpires said no way it goes back in but you can’t predict that. Should have been out but it does say judgment. Coach Vitello said in the post game interview that the problem was they would not give him an explanation.

(6) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner (see Rule 6.01(j));

(7) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a batter-runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball, with the obvious intent

to break up a double play, the ball is dead; the umpire shall call the batter-runner out for interference and shall call out the runner who had advanced closest to the home plate regardless where the double play might have been possible. In no event shall bases be run because of such interference (see Rule 6.01(j));

I think that’s accurate as far as CTV’s argument. Based on what the announcers said, the ump has to make a judgment call, was it “likely the ball would bounce fair or foul.” That’s the way I took it anyway.
I’ve watched years of baseball and played through HS and have literally never seen that happen. I’m sitting there with my dad in the stadium and asked what is the rule there? We were both dumbfounded for the simple fact that we’ve never seen it. Interesting to hear TV, who’s been around 100x the baseball I have, say the exact same thing.

At least there was no whistler in the stands last night and only a small handful of Vandy fans. Mostly just some parents. So we got that going for us...😀
Well.....there was a Vandy woman near us who apparently watched her first baseball game last night, judging by her repeated shrill ‘wooooo.’ She yelled at every stinking thing: Vandy hit a routine pop fly? Woooooo!
Vandy hit a routine grounder? Wooooo!
Etc. ad nauseam.
The @volcreatures got tired of her too, but she had a kid with her (kid was wearing a Cleveland Browns pullover, so he may be destined for years of despair), so they politely numerous times said you don’t excited and yell over Vandy popping one up. I thought she was our local version of the whistler.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back