Maurer emerging as QB1?

Instagram live. He was inviting all his African American analogies to come “thug”.
Well... that's about as dumb as it gets. That's the kind of stuff that ends your current gig and makes your options limited. Could explain why TAM, Texas, and TCU didn't have a scholarship for him.

The MSU and Bama injury were the SAME INJURY. You're being dishonest and twisting the facts. There's only one reason you would do that. You are determined not to like the kid.

Yeah. They claimed he had a hamstring injury last year. The announcers repeated it often. Then just after they said it... Pruitt put him in specifically to run a zone read.
Is Maurer your son or do you have a bet on him winning the job? I have nothing against him other than he's played in very few games and has gotten hurt basically every time he gets a shot. I love his attitude and the team does to but if you cannot stay on the field then well......

Reactions: cgrish
Guys unfortunatly there was legitimate reasons why nobody could unseat Guarantano.....we are extremely in need of some transfer portal QBs
I'm not sure how legitimate it was since Pruitt's results were so poor from an offensive and QB perspective. But there were reasons.

JG played "safe" in practice. He didn't make as many mistakes which gives you a high score if your coach places maximum premium on being low risk. It also prevents guys from stretching themselves in practice. You can't risk throwing a ball that might be picked or practicing something and failing repeatedly until you finally "get it"... when the coach is counting "mistakes" to determine who is "ready to play". I don't blame Chaney or Weinke for this. It is a "strategic" level decision that belongs to the HC... and in this case with heavy input from the AD.

Maurer may or may not succeed... but that's about as opposite his make up as a coach and system can be.

Pruitt's philosophy of play was low risk, ball control, no mistakes offense coupled to good ST's and great defense. He was hired because that's what Fulmer succeeded with and never quite accepted that his way didn't work anymore. He never wanted to admit that he was rightly fired for failing to evolve with the game. So you got Pruitt whose ideas came directly out of the 90's.... playing in an era when that style of play just doesn't work. That style led him to a QB who was risk averse himself, deliberate in making decisions, and a GREAT practice player.... who couldn't get it done on game day.

Heupel is looking for something completely different. He's emphasizing "aggression" which you can read as "high risk". That IS Maurer's personality. The question is can they rein him back.

Is Maurer your son or do you have a bet on him winning the job?
Nope. I just don't see people taking unfair shots at the other two. And I do like the underdog which he seems to be.

I have nothing against him other than he's played in very few games and has gotten hurt basically every time he gets a shot. I love his attitude and the team does to but if you cannot stay on the field then well......
He got a concussion in a freak play. He took a shot that knocked the breath out of him in the UGA game but was cleared to return. Pruitt made the call to keep him out.|

But.. you are right that if he is in fact injury prone then you cannot invest in him. Unfortunately... they almost have to invest in him to find out once live play starts. Hopefully he learns to protect himself.

There is also a possibility that he was prone to concussions like some people naturally are. If so... his career is over. Even if he wasn't, I believe that having a concussion increases the likelihood of having more. That would obviously not be good for him.

Play wise. Most if not all of those who've reported on UT's QB's over the past couple of years have said that Maurer has the "wow" factor. He can give you the big play... But he also makes too many judgment mistakes. I personally think the last staff for a lot of reasons failed to give an adequate effort to eliminating those mistakes. Most of it related to Pruitt's philosophy of play. Sometimes you have to make guys make mistakes so you can correct them. Pruitt held onto mistakes regardless of the reason. He loved JG because JG didn't make mistakes in practice. He didn't perform on gameday... but he didn't make mistakes in practice.

Maurer MUST cut down on the mistakes. Putting the handoff INT on Jennings... Maurer still threw 2 TD's and 4 INT's. UT could do well with those numbers flipped.... and especially if the INT's were punt depth throws. If he can't then UT has to find a safer option even at the expense of playmaking.

PS- this helps explain the rumor they might be looking to the portal. If Maurer cannot cut down the mistakes and the others can't make plays downfield... you have to see if anyone is available.

Reactions: Samthebam
No. I am going primarily off what we've seen from them in games plus various practice reports/sources from various angles of bias. Did I claim or imply that I attended practice? If I had that info and could tell it here... it would be a lot more detailed and specific.
Ok are you a quarterback coach? You just seem to think you know a lot about each QB's specific set of skills.

Here the thing...it had nothing to do with you...at all..it is a mag board and his msg was directed to someone directly....its all part of the pissing contest you have with everyone you disgaree with..then you make some snarkey smarta** remarks...little cool emoji like a school girl and you feel better about yourself....congrats butchna you got the biggest opinion on the board. Happy??
Amen. Worst poster on the board imo

This. And I'm going to go out on a limb.....

No one in this thread was ever runner up for the Heisman as a QB. Heupel was.

No one in this thread ever coached a Heisman winning QB. Heupel did.

I'll go out on the limb and say the decision Josh Heupel makes about his starting QB will be the best possible pick among the candidates.

So sensible, so obvious, and yet such an uncommon approach to fanhood. Bless you, sir.

Thanks Mr. Maurer.
I’m not Mr. Maurer. I meant it as a way of calling out Austin Price if that’s your choice of who to believe in reports but admittedly it wasn’t well presented. As for sjt18, he has a very unique, neutral way of criticism and praise and his opinions are justified through facts of actual events. He seems to allow facts to come together before posting his opinions and will admit when he’s wrong. I happen to respect that.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Your are spot on....I think at this point I personally expect turnovers...QB and recievers are new to each and have to develop that connection...I also think CJH will put up with ints if the positives outweigh the negatives
agree, he played qb, he knows its not easy. Pruitt praised taking care of the ball, yet when JG would throw stupid interceptions he'd do nothing. still makes me mad how fast he'd pulll other guys but not JG.

Ok are you a quarterback coach? You just seem to think you know a lot about each QB's specific set of skills.
Not really. Any interested, experienced fan should or at least could know the little bit I know. You can see everything I've mentioned or glean it from various comments.

Reactions: LittleVol
agree, he played qb, he knows its not easy. Pruitt praised taking care of the ball, yet when JG would throw stupid interceptions he'd do nothing. still makes me mad how fast he'd pulll other guys but not JG.
Heupel, granted not calling plays then, as the OU QB threw 30 ints in 972 attempts. He was not a reckless passer but had a 60+% completion rate.

At UCF, he's used a LOT of short routes, like Leach did, that emphasize a smart QB, ready to read and exploit what's given.

Will this work in the SEC? Against many, with a quality QB, I think it might. Against Saban's damn near NFL quality defensive communication, you're going to need an NFL quality QB to match up.

Honestly, Heupel's job currently is to make TN good enough to recruit a truly elite QB for his offense. If he CAN coach up Maurer, Bailey, or Hooker to read and execute like he did...... we will exceed all expectations. The Heupel recruited next generation is what matters.

Sanctions/penalties may make recruiting tough but IF Heupel can coach QBs AND somehow field a D that's not refried catsh*t, I might see a light at the end of the tunnel that ISN'T a train.

Amen. Worst poster on the board imo

I will make this observation, I hope it is neutral and I genuinely don't mean to insult anyone. It is just something that I have observed, maybe no one else has. I lurked on this board for many years and I read everything by everyone related to football. I used to think that Behr and butchna were the two best football posters. Now I hardly see Behr anymore and as for butchna, he/she has truly gotten argumentative and snarky. I would say that's been happening for about a year now. Butchna i appreciate your football insights but you sort of fight with everybody and use memes to make your points. Soften your edge a little bit, because you have a lot to contribute to VN!

I will make this observation, I hope it is neutral and I genuinely don't mean to insult anyone. It is just something that I have observed, maybe no one else has. I lurked on this board for many years and I read everything by everyone related to football. I used to think that Behr and butchna were the two best football posters. Now I hardly see Behr anymore and as for butchna, he/she has truly gotten argumentative and snarky. I would say that's been happening for about a year now. Butchna i appreciate your football insights but you sort of fight with everybody and use memes to make your points. Soften your edge a little bit, because you have a lot to contribute to VN!
Thanks and no.

I'm catching up with this thread so this has probably been discussed already.
They also said they thought we'd be keeping our eyes on the portal.
How many QB's are in the portal that most would consider an upgrade? Are there any no brain-ers left that would be instant starters if they transferred here?
If we are keeping eyes on the portal it means the coaches do not like what they are seeing. It may turn out differently by the first game but the odds are we do not have a quality Qb on the roster. That’s what my take is on 247’s opinions.
247 isn't trash like Calhoun or atoznashcrap, but they aren't above throwing sh!t at the wall to see what sticks.

Other than, every coach is always watching the portal for talent, I hope there isn't anything to that.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
'I was really surprised by how much time Halsey had to spend on rudimentary things like footwork and other fundamentals. These are things college QB's should already be adept at'
That speaks volumes about our last staff and their lack of coaching ability. Guess we know now why JG was the QB so long. Unreal that these kids weren't being given basic coaching!

Reactions: davethevol
I'm catching up with this thread so this has probably been discussed already.

How many QB's are in the portal that most would consider an upgrade? Are there any no brain-ers left that would be instant starters if they transferred here?

247 isn't trash like Calhoun or atoznashcrap, but they aren't above throwing sh!t at the wall to see what sticks.

Other than, every coach is always watching the portal for talent, I hope there isn't anything to that.
I agree that just because 247 posts something it doesn’t mean it’s 100% accurate. They are in the business of increasing traffic to their sites.

Nice throw from all 3 qbs. THIS is what a good battle looks like! Take notes Jeremy. May have to click the link to see the others.

This is also WHY I don’t trust Austin Price. The only throw he mentioned was Hookers and only said that Bailey and Maurer were solid on slants and come backs. 🤔. None of these were slants OR comebacks

Last edited:
Good take.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Will this work in the SEC? Against many, with a quality QB, I think it might. Against Saban's damn near NFL quality defensive communication, you're going to need an NFL quality QB to match up.

Not saying you are wrong, but the only coach that beat Saban three times (Malzahn) did it without an NFL quality QB. Other than Teddy Bridgewater and Trevor Lawrence, can you name an NFL quality QB that has beaten Saban?

VN Store

Back