'22 TN WR Cameron Miller (Tennessee signee)

The four-star Class of 2022 wide receiver from Memphis (Tenn.) Academy of Health Sciences told 247Sports' Yancy Porter that Heupel, who was hired as the Vols' coach on Jan. 27, "has been on me real hard since he got hired," adding that he talks with Heupel probably "three days a week." Miller, who was one of the top in-state targets for former Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt's staff, said the Vols are still making him a priority.

"I would say Alabama, Tennessee and Florida are recruiting me the hardest right now, but I have a lot of schools still coming after me really hard — schools like Ole Miss, Oregon and Memphis," said Miller, who's ranked the No. 329 overall prospect and No. 47 wide receiver in the 2022 class and the No. 12 junior from the state of Tennessee, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Miller said Heupel, who spent the past three years at UCF before leaving for Tennessee, has continued to stress how important the state of Tennessee's talent-filled 2022 class is to the Vols.

"Coach Heupel at Tennessee has been on me real hard since he got hired over there," Miller told Porter. "I probably talk to him three days a week. He lets me know how important it is to keep all of the Tennessee talent in-state. That's been his big message to me."
Miller, who wasn't able to play his junior season at MAHS because of the COVID-19 pandemic, said he currently has his sights set on taking more visits after the NCAA's ongoing dead period for recruiting, which has already been extended through April 15. That includes making another trip to Tennessee, which hosted him on a couple of visits during Pruitt's tenure.

"The only places I've been to are Tennessee, Memphis and Alabama," Miller said. "I'm for sure going back to Alabama and Tennessee when we can start visiting again. And, like I said, I have something planned with Ole Miss, too. I'm just waiting, like everyone else, for them to let us start our visits again."

The timeline for Miller's college decision, he said, will likely depend on when visits are allowed to resume.

"I really wanted to commit before the start of my senior season, but I'm not going to commit until I get to take some visits," he said. "We'll see what the NCAA does next."

-Callahan

“It changed a lot, from what I know Coach Heupel can do and how he can change a program and their offensive scheme,” said Miller, who’s ranked the No. 365 overall prospect and No. 51 wide receiver in the 2022 class and the No. 13 junior from Tennessee, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“Everything changed now. I’m just looking at them different from how I did before. … I’m hearing from them a lot, and they’re just explaining how they can use me and how they can use their new system in a way for me to be successful in it.”

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Miller said he’s talking with Tennessee “about, like, three times a week,” led by Heupel, wide receivers coach Kodi Burns and running backs coach Jerry Mack. The Vols have stressed to Miller, he said, that he could play a major role in Heupel’s fast-paced, high-scoring offense.

“I did a couple Zoom calls with them, with them showing me their offensive plays, just seeing how I can fit in their offense and how they can use me,” Miller said. “They’re saying they’re an aggressive team, and they love to create one-on-one matchups all the time. What they’re trying to do is just get the ball down the field and score very fast.

“I like Coach Heupel, even when he was at UCF. I like that fast offense — just get the ball out quick to receivers for them to make plays.”

Miller has referred to Tennessee for months as one of his favorites among the 20 schools pursuing him. He released a list of his top six college choices on Jan. 4 that included the Vols, along with Alabama, Florida, Memphis, Oregon and Auburn.
When he’s able to resume visiting schools, he said he plans to start by traveling to Alabama, Tennessee and Florida.

“Those are the three main ones that I want to hit first, before any other school I’ll probably want to visit,” Miller said. “Of course, I’m going to hit Tennessee, Alabama and Florida.”
-Callahan

In Memphis, the Vols and in particular Josh Heupel hav done a really nice job on Cameron Miller. This is a two team race between Tennessee and Alabama. Much of this will come down to Miller’s camp performance at Alabama this summer. Where does he stack up on their receiver board? Either way, Tennessee has done a good enough job that we could see the Vols having a legit chance no matter how Alabama plays things.
-VQ

He said he’s still talking with first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff “almost every day,” led by running backs coach Jerry Mack, wide receivers coach Kodi Burns and Heupel himself. Miller has already visited the Vols three times, although he hasn’t been back to Knoxville since attending one of their junior days more than a year ago, in early February 2020.

The official visit to Tennessee will give Miller a chance to meet the Vols’ new coaches, who have spent the past few months getting to know him. They have continued to make him one of their top in-state priorities.

“I get on the phone with Coach Heupel about twice or three times a week,” Miller said. “He’s always checking in on me, if I’m doing good. He’s always telling me plays, showing me plays on, if I come to Tennessee, what I’m going to run and what things I’m going to do. That’s something I like about him.

“Coach Mack, he always calls and checks on me and my family. He’s just explaining to me how special UT can be. … I talk to Coach Burns a lot. He checks in, just explaining how he does certain drills with his receivers and in the system.

“it seems like all three of them are my main recruiters. That’s just something that’s special, and I know it’s just showing a true sign that UT wants me. And I know the fans there, they’re looking at things like that. And I know if I go to UT, I know I’ll have all of Knoxville on my back, so that’s just something I look at, and they can be proud for me and my family.”

When he returns to Tennessee for his official visit with the Vols, he said he’s looking forward to “just seeing how the players are doing and how they are interacting with the new coaching staff, and the new things that the coaches have brought into the system that I know Coach Heupel has done a good job at,” along with “just seeing the new facilities and the new things that they have brought in.”

“I just want to see the new things that UT has to offer to me,” Miller added.
-Callahan

VN Store

Back