Keon Johnson Declares for NBA Draft

If you think this season is on Jaden and Keon you're wrong. They're true freshman who honestly were the best 2 players. This season falls on the shoulders of the Vets (Yves, Fulky, Vescovi, Bailey, etc). If those guys would've played to their potential and what we were expecting out of them preseason, we would've been an Sweet 16 team at worst. Keon honestly was the only one vs Oregon State that even looked like he was trying to win.
Keon was not one of the best two players. In fact he struggled frequently.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
If I'm a head coach in the NBA ,I want to protect my job.I want players to help right now,not to develop for the next coach.

Keon was not one of the best two players. In fact he struggled frequently.
Really? Name 2 better right now. Keon consistently played great defense and had flashes on offense. He turned the ball over too much was his main problem.

Really? Name 2 better right now. Keon consistently played great defense and had flashes on offense. He turned the ball over too much was his main problem.
I think there’s a better argument that he was one of our worst 2 primary players than one of our best.

Yes he turned it over a lot and he also shot 27% from 3. He had the most missed dunks on our team. He was one of the best at getting to the rim but converted less than Springer and trailed Bailey, JJJ, and Pons in mid range %, and had the worst FT% of our primary players. He was probably one of the better defenders at forcing turnovers but he also fouled at a higher clip than anyone in the regular rotation too and wasn’t a very good defensive rebounder. JJJ and Pons were definitely better defenders. And I though off ball Vescovi was pretty good too.

Btw, I don’t mean to bad mouth Keon. He was certainly one of the most physically talented players on the team. But he definitely struggled in this system this year and that’s not all his fault. Just wasn’t a great fit. I don’t doubt his potential as a pro but it’s clear his draft stock isnt due to his college production.

I’m not sure how many times this needs to be said on this board, but the NBA drafts STRICTLY on your potential as a player. They do not care about the results of your season.

Keon has been a Top 10 pick since before he played a second of this season because of his athleticism, size, and defensive prowess. He can be taught everything else by the NBA developmental staff.
You may have to say it one more time, a little louder for those in the back.
GBO!!

Good for him. I wish him luck and much success and hope he enjoys being a multimillionaire at the age of 19!
GBO!!

Not to white knight, but thought it was harsh to lump Vescovi in with the underperforming vets. I know it feels like he's been here forever, but it's really only 1.5 seasons, the majority of which coming under bizarre COVID conditions. Gotta cut the kid a break.

The regression of Pons, Fulky and Bailey was certainly more culpable than Keon or Santi's performances. I am harsh on JJJ as well, but that only comes from the outsized expectations he had out of high school.

Not to white knight, but thought it was harsh to lump Vescovi in with the underperforming vets. I know it feels like he's been here forever, but it's really only 1.5 seasons, the majority of which coming under bizarre COVID conditions. Gotta cut the kid a break.

The regression of Pons, Fulky and Bailey was certainly more culpable than Keon or Santi's performances. I am harsh on JJJ as well, but that only comes from the outsized expectations he had out of high school.
People forget that Santi is age-wise a freshman

How there are fans on here that blame the early exit on freshman when we had upperclassman who shot like 15% from the floor, last I checked basketball is a team game and Micheal Jordan didn’t win championships by himself. Quit blaming Springer and Johnson for what happened in the tourney when we likely would not have even made the tourney without them.

I understand him going for sure. But the whole process is just insane to me. Schofield and Williams were both way better players imo than Keon. He hasn’t really figured out what his game is just yet. But just about all the 5 star kids end up being projected first rounders. Whatever it is that made Keon a 5 star (and Williams/schofield 2 or 3 star kids) also dictates their draft game to some degree. If I was a gm I’d be looking for refined players. Ja morant, and Zion come to mind as guys that totally new what their game was and had excelled in college. But our 2 just don’t seem to be there yet imo

I understand him going for sure. But the whole process is just insane to me. Schofield and Williams were both way better players imo than Keon. He hasn’t really figured out what his game is just yet. But just about all the 5 star kids end up being projected first rounders. Whatever it is that made Keon a 5 star (and Williams/schofield 2 or 3 star kids) also dictates their draft game to some degree. If I was a gm I’d be looking for refined players. Ja morant, and Zion come to mind as guys that totally new what their game was and had excelled in college. But our 2 just don’t seem to be there yet imo
I mean Zion and Ja went 1 & 2. Of course thats who youre looking for, they were underclassmen superstars

The greatest enigma in the history of college basketball recruiting to me was how everyone missed on Morant. He played AAU with Zion so it’s not like he was never seen.

Reactions: golfballs
And so we say farewell to another great talent that was not going to stick around for very along at any school. I certainly hope he does well, but in the annals of Tennessee basketball he will ultimately be a well-regarded footnote more than a significant contributor. Or, in other words, every single class at Kentucky since 2010.

Very much depends on how successful his professional career is imo.

Very much depends on how successful his professional career is imo.

Oh I don't mean for his career, he's very talented. I feel like he has a bright future ahead of him. I just meant in terms of his Tennessee legacy. A one-and-done is gone almost as quickly as they arrived. Part of why I mentioned Kentucky; their revolving door recruiting has left their fans (of which I know quite a few) pretty numb to the constant roster changes.

Good luck but am I missing something? I know both kids are high rated draft picks and I don't blame them for going for the money but where does these evaluations come from? If they can't get pass Oregon State how are they going to contribute to the NBA so young? I'm clueless I guess.
It’s not always about how early you contribute when it comes to draft picks, it’s about potential. Keons potential is super high, most teams know he isn’t refined offensively yet.

Keon one day will be an All Star in NBA. Yes he has alot of work to do on his shooting but he has heart and that dog in him and yes super Athletic. Sky is the limit. And even though he was here 1 year said Rocky Top you will always be sweet home to me. VFL. In CHRIST Alone

Oh I don't mean for his career, he's very talented. I feel like he has a bright future ahead of him. I just meant in terms of his Tennessee legacy. A one-and-done is gone almost as quickly as they arrived. Part of why I mentioned Kentucky; their revolving door recruiting has left their fans (of which I know quite a few) pretty numb to the constant roster changes.
This is something that I don’t like about college basketball. Sometimes a team may need more than one season to really gel together, so a team with lots of 3 star recruits can outplay and beat a team of 5 stars any day. It makes a weird situation where a coach is forced to decide if he wants to recruit guys that will leave after a year, versus guys that will blossom in 3-4 seasons and gel with the team. A lot of the time recruiting too well in basketball can be worse than recruiting solid and having good coaching.

Being a great college player and being a great NBA player are usually 2 different things, though.

I get what you're saying about Keon and Springer not exactly knowing their games yet, but their athleticism and pure skill is something NBA teams can mold, and they'll figure it out while also making millions in the process. I do not fault them for that.

But typically, a great 3 or 4 year college kid is not a lot more than a role player in the NBA. That's certainly true of Grant, and it applies to guys like Tyler Hansbrough, Payton Pritchard, Adam Morrison, and several others. I know there are others that don't follow that trend too, but that seems to be more the norm IMO.

VN Store

Back