When the day comes who is our next mens bb coach?

Is Barnes retiring or getting fired this year? If not, Forbes certainly has an opportunity to prove himself at Wake Forest in upcoming seasons.
JMO but I don’t see Forbes turning things around at Wake - definitely not enough to warrant candidacy to be Barnes’s successor at UT. Wake only won 6 games this year and they only have 3 star recruits coming in next year. But even if he did win there I still doubt he would be considered given that his previous stint in Knoxville ended with a show cause.

JMO but I don’t see Forbes turning things around at Wake - definitely not enough to warrant candidacy to be Barnes’s successor at UT. Wake only won 6 games this year and they only have 3 star recruits coming in next year. But even if he did win there I still doubt he would be considered given that his previous stint in Knoxville ended with a show cause.
I agree. A lot of people thought he took that job and it was a bad fit for that reason, but my contention was that he wouldn't be expected to come in and turn the program around to the point of competing for ACC titles within 3 years. However, if he could improve the talent, get his team finishing middle of the pack, then in 3 years, he could potentially parlay that modest success/improvement into a better job that provided him more opportunity to make noise in a different conference. No one willing to take that job is going to take WF from cellar to the top of the ACC. He just needs to make modest improvements and move on to a more sustainable situation.

The replacement for Rick Barnes as Men's Basketball Head Coach could be

Rob Lanier Georgia State head coach
Steve Forbes Wake Forest head coach
Paul Mills Oral Roberts head coach
Desmond Oliver ETSU head coach
Johnny Dawkins UCF head coach

Mike White Florida head coach

It is almost certainly going to be someone whose name doesn't even appear in this thread. I can guarantee you that.
Yep, the names being floated here seem to be operating under the assumption that Barnes hangs it up in the next couple of years. I don’t believe that. I think he’s here at least 5 more years. He’s in really good health as evidenced by how quickly he fought off Covid even at his age. And he just doesn’t strike me as someone who would even enjoy retirement anyway. Otherwise he would’ve just treated his firing from Texas as the start of his retirement.

Let's start this thread in 4-5 years when we might need a new basketball coach. Maybe when we're not consistently one of the best teams in our conference, nationally respected, and not landing some of the best recruits in the country.

"Fahr Barnes" pundits flame away. Let's bring in Donnie Tyndall. Let the 10-20 year rebuild begin!

We wonder why we can't have nothing good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ERvolsfan
Let's start this thread in 4-5 years when we might need a new basketball coach. Maybe when we're not consistently one of the best teams in our conference, nationally respected, and not landing some of the best recruits in the country.

"Fahr Barnes" pundits flame away. Let's bring in Donnie Tyndall.
I think Rick will retire in the next two seasons

With the connections our current AD has to the Duke and UCF programs, I’d say this guy has a shot...
E2B34AE2-589B-4C34-936D-E8B0F7276BC5.jpeg
GBO!!

I agree with some that I think Rick will be here around 5 more years if not more. And personally I hope that’s the case. Just like a lot of you I get upset with him at times and checking out early in the tourney is frustrating.

But when I take step back and look at the Program as a whole.
- He has us at the top of conference every year
- nationally relevant and ranked pretty high
- national respect.
- has us in the recruiting ranks with the blue bloods the last few years.

Therefore he has elevated our program to very relevant respected competitive winner. Built a great family hard working culture. The longer he stays continue to add stability and add more value to the relevant program.

So that when it comes time for Rick to retire we will be a highly sought after job! Unfortunately the complete opposite of the FB program at the moment

VN Store

Back