Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it was first implemented, the minimum age to collect was higher than the average lifespan, particularly for men. It was really a way to keep old widows from turning into beggars. They should probably raise the age to at least 75.
While the minimum age for full benefits has gone up over time, yes it clearly does not match reality. I figure some adjustments to both factors will continue to occur and it will continue to be viable, but in a reduced way.

The AARP voting bloc will never allow it to happen over night, but gradually it has to happen. The good news is the "cliff" scenario is just never going to happen. People squawking about "social security will run out by x year" are not ignoring the various model possibilities. Multiple variables (age, tiers, benefit levels, etc) will continue to gradually adjust over time.

The one saving factor in all of this could be robots/automation. Imagine if we apply "payroll taxes" to the robotic workforce of the future...those of which will obviously not need retirement benefits (or will they? 🤔😄).

Last edited:
42% from 3 for Diboundje.

44% from the Auburn transfer.

Does this signal a shift in strategy for Barnes to more of a 3-point shooting team like Bama, Baylor, etc?

Nope. Rick Barnes is an inflexible old codger that is past his prime and who should have been canned after the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: Catbone
Must be nice to marry wealth... her husband (Richard Rainwater) with whom she married in 1991 has a net worth of 3 billion, and her first (large) donation to South Carolina didn't occur until 1998.

I wondered about this yesterday when I saw the story, but Wiki says her husband tripled his wealth when he married her. She apparently was very, very successful before marriage. She even removed T. Boone Pickens from his own company at one point because his company was in financial trouble and then she proceeded to make a profit.

Reactions: tnvols72
Man, I don’t like the 1 and done.. I get it’s part of the game when you’re getting high profile guys.. it literally hurt when Grant, Admiral, and Bone left.. with these two leaving, it’s just like “okay then.”
One and done will not work at UT as long as Barnes is the coach. His reputation is developing guys over 3 or 4 years. If that's where we're heading, we're gonna pay the price for bringing in one and done guys.

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Reminds me of Arian Foster. They are the anonamalies. Good for them.

Similar to Foster, here's a big part of the key imo: "Kamara also says that he is in control of all of his money. Nothing gets moved around without his approval".

Obviously it takes some knowledge and discipline to handle your own large sums of money, but so many athletes have "been had" by sketchy financial advisors and even legit ones pushing risky investments, if not outright stealing from them.

I wondered about this yesterday when I saw the story, but Wiki says her husband tripled his wealth when he married her. She apparently was very, very successful before marriage. She even removed T. Boone Pickens from his own company at one point because his company was in financial trouble and then she proceeded to make a profit.

She did that Pickens move in 1996, 5 years after marrying Rainwater. Seems her biggest claim to fame came when she took over his company of the same name. I'm not saying her wealth is only because of her marriage, but it seems like their marriage was the catalyst for it developing. Gotta spend money to make money maybe?

Rainwater had a pretty big reputation prior to Moore, except he was growing someone else's wealth at the time (The Bass family). Both together are for sure a powerful and wealthy couple, but that doesn't make her letter to South Carolina seem any less entitled.

Last edited:
Drew Pember is now a Bulldog!

If he had to bounce from Knoxville, I'm at least glad he decided to come be a Bulldog.

I can only react to what was available. Their QB was never as hot as he was against us first game. He got more and more battered. We would have hate crimed them...pitiful as we were.
Consensus from many here is we would have lost to both if played later in the season. It’s just a hypothetical, so everyone has their own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back