D1 rankings updated....

If we win the UF series, they're gonna have to move us higher. If is a test, but Vandy will show us how far we've really come.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Idk if Vanderbilt is a true test. I think they are head and shoulders way above everyone in the nation.

Georgia State played Vandy tough in 2 of their games at Vanderbilt. Won 4-2 and lost 5-4.
If you look at the schedule closely you should see they really have faced good pitching in one series - South Carolina. The other 2 SEC matchups were Missouri (won Friday game 3-1) & LSU (Hill went down early Sat with arm injury and LSU’s Sun starter held them down relatively speaking). They won 5-4 Sunday. Vandy has squeaked out some late victories like the rest of us.

South Carolina lost the Friday game 3-2 and won the Sunday game. They were a hit away from taking the lead late on that Friday at Vanderbilt. To say Vandy is ‘head and shoulders above the rest’ is non sense.

Rocker hasn’t thrown in the mid 90’s since the Oklahoma St series and 89-92 is where he sits now. That’s good but very beatable. Let’s see where they stand and where Rocker’s velo is at after May 2nd (Florida Series) before crowning them.

Georgia State played Vandy tough in 2 of their games at Vanderbilt. Won 4-2 and lost 5-4.
If you look at the schedule closely you should see they really have faced good pitching in one series - South Carolina. The other 2 SEC matchups were Missouri (won Friday game 3-1) & LSU (Hill went down early Sat with arm injury and LSU’s Sun starter held them down relatively speaking). They won 5-4 Sunday. Vandy has squeaked out some late victories like the rest of us.

South Carolina lost the Friday game 3-2 and won the Sunday game. They were a hit away from taking the lead late on that Friday at Vanderbilt. To say Vandy is ‘head and shoulders above the rest’ is non sense.

Rocker hasn’t thrown in the mid 90’s since the Oklahoma St series and 89-92 is where he sits now. That’s good but very beatable. Let’s see where they stand and where Rocker’s velo is at after May 2nd (Florida Series) before crowning them.

I hear what you are saying but at the end of the day - it comes down to pitching and last I looked Vandy had the top two pitchers in the SEC in wins / top two pitchers in winning percentage / top two pitchers in ERA / and the top two people expected to be taken in this years draft -- yes those same two pitchers.
So ........ I think as a result of those two pitchers ...... I am holding Vandy a notch above everyone else ------ until proven otherwise. Our pitching has also taken a step back .... very proud of how hard we play and all that we are accomplishing, but Vanderbilt is very good and there is a reason they are very good.

Let's just play them one game at a time and see how we do.

I hear what you are saying but at the end of the day - it comes down to pitching and last I looked Vandy had the top two pitchers in the SEC in wins / top two pitchers in winning percentage / top two pitchers in ERA / and the top two people expected to be taken in this years draft -- yes those same two pitchers.
So ........ I think as a result of those two pitchers ...... I am holding Vandy a notch above everyone else ------ until proven otherwise. Our pitching has also taken a step back .... very proud of how hard we play and all that we are accomplishing, but Vanderbilt is very good and there is a reason they are very good.

Let's just play them one game at a time and see how we do.

No they are not projected top 2 anymore. Leiter is head and shoulders above Rocker now. All reputable baseball media had Rocker at 1/1 (6 weeks ago) and Leiter the 5th or 6th pick. They have now swapped and some have a HS shortstop above Rocker in the draft. I agree they are still the best duo and I don’t think anyone is disputing that. However when considering the velo drop from Rocker, that makes them vulnerable on Friday. Everyone has a guy on Fri that is 89-92 but no one that I know of in the SEC has a Friday guy that is 94-97 like Rocker was up until the South Carolina series.

I’m not saying he has lost his ability to pitch, I am only saying that unless his velo gets back to 94-97 instead of 89-92 like his last 3 outings then he is going to get hit and eventually get beat. South Carolina faced him as his velocity was coming down but it was still 92-94 and they almost got him.

Some interesting stats for the Vols offense.
Even with Beck, Ferguson, and Pav still a bit off - TN is ranked top 5 (SEC) in almost every offensive category.
Avg- 5th
Hits - 5th
Runs - 3rd
RBI - 3rd
Doubles - 4th
Triples - 2nd
HR - 8th (tied with Miss St)
Hit by Pitch - 5th
Walks - 1st
On base % - 1st

Imagine what we look like if those 3 really get it going.

Some interesting stats for the Vols offense.
Even with Beck, Ferguson, and Pav still a bit off - TN is ranked top 5 (SEC) in almost every offensive category.
Avg- 5th
Hits - 5th
Runs - 3rd
RBI - 3rd
Doubles - 4th
Triples - 2nd
HR - 8th (tied with Miss St)
Hit by Pitch - 5th
Walks - 1st
On base % - 1st

Imagine what we look like if those 3 really get it going.
Except you are wrong. Avg we are tied for 9th at .269...and when you are doing numbers by totals you also need to consider we have played 2-4 games more than everybody else basically. We have a very opportunistic baseball team but if we are going to do anything these boys need to start getting these bats to life. By the way attached are our real stats

Attachments

• stats.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
Some of those numbers go together. We have the most walks which means we watch a lot of pitches and have a lot of strikeouts and I credit that to the watching pitches and not been impressed with consistent umpiring this year.
We have fewest number of walks pitching but highest number of HR's which comes from throwing strikes. If you want to pitch for TV and FA you better throw strikes. Some can't understand why certain pitchers on our roster who throw hard don't get mound time and it has a lot to do with era and walks. You have to throw strikes to pitch at UT and with that you will give up home runs. When batters know that pitchers are going to throw strikes, they will swing more regularly which accounts for strikeouts and home runs.
I;m surprised we lead in stolen bases. Just have not picked up on that. I knew we did it a lot but not to that level.

No they are not projected top 2 anymore. Leiter is head and shoulders above Rocker now. All reputable baseball media had Rocker at 1/1 (6 weeks ago) and Leiter the 5th or 6th pick. They have now swapped and some have a HS shortstop above Rocker in the draft. I agree they are still the best duo and I don’t think anyone is disputing that. However when considering the velo drop from Rocker, that makes them vulnerable on Friday. Everyone has a guy on Fri that is 89-92 but no one that I know of in the SEC has a Friday guy that is 94-97 like Rocker was up until the South Carolina series.

I’m not saying he has lost his ability to pitch, I am only saying that unless his velo gets back to 94-97 instead of 89-92 like his last 3 outings then he is going to get hit and eventually get beat. South Carolina faced him as his velocity was coming down but it was still 92-94 and they almost got him.

I watched Vandy Sunday and Leiter did not have his best stuff, velocity and location were both off . . . I'm not saying he is "declining" but he was off.

I actually like out chances against Vandy, I think our bats and defense will keep us in the games.

GBO

I remember the old Braves when Maddux and Glavine weren't known as fireballers. Hall of famers though.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Except you are wrong. Avg we are tied for 9th at .269...and when you are doing numbers by totals you also need to consider we have played 2-4 games more than everybody else basically. We have a very opportunistic baseball team but if we are going to do anything these boys need to start getting these bats to life. By the way attached are our real stats

Monday, when I posted, those were the numbers.

Now if they have changed so be it. If you are going to say I am wrong, do it the same day I post it & not when the new numbers are released by the SEC. Next week they will change again but I won’t be quoting your numbers and calling them wrong, I may just post the new numbers and let people see where we stand.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back