College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

21 - NC game
20 - 1 seed -no tourney -
19 - elite 8
18 - sweet 16
17 - NC game
16 - sweet 16
15 - elite 8

Clearly their conference schedule is holding them back....haha.
who has been more consistent in the past 7 years?

I mean at the end of the day it's still judged by titles. You can get to every single national title game you want and it's great, but winning the title is the end goal. They keep falling short unfortunately. It was cool to brag about sweet 16s and elite 8s when you are a plucky underrated mid-major that gets little respect. Well now you are a consistent elite program...time to step up and win the big one. That's not a harsh take, just being realistic about expectations now.

I think it would have been better for them to lose a few games along the way. They got down big early and it reminded me of how Virginia looked against UMBC. Maybe that's a lazy generic take but just my two cents.

Reactions: Creeker
I mean at the end of the day it's still judged by titles. You can get to every single national title game you want and it's great, but winning the title is the end goal. They keep falling short unfortunately. It was cool to brag about sweet 16s and elite 8s when you are a plucky underrated mid-major that gets little respect. Well now you are a consistent elite program...time to step up and win the big one. That's not a harsh take, just being realistic about expectations now.

I think it would have been better for them to lose a few games along the way. They got down big early and it reminded me of how Virginia looked against UMBC. Maybe that's a lazy generic take but just my two cents.
I get what you’re saying but the response was refuting that playing in the WCC doesn’t adequately prepare them for the tourney and it’s just a bogus argument. Not to be harsh, but look at Kentucky the last 6 or 7 years and we can all agree they have had significantly more talent than Gonzaga. Especially their loss to an undermanned Wisconsin Team when Kentucky was undefeated. It happens.

You can think whatever you want, buddy. I don't think playing for 2.5 months in the West Coast Conference against a bunch of Pepperdines and St. Mary's properly prepares a team to win a National Championship.

Evidence submitted: Gonzaga has 0 National Championships.
Haha. Volgee and Chris pretty much summed up the ineptitude of this post.
I just don’t get the zag hate. We would love to have their last 25 years of tourney history as would 97% of all college basketball teams. Period.

I get what you’re saying but the response was refuting that playing in the WCC doesn’t adequately prepare them for the tourney and it’s just a bogus argument. Not to be harsh, but look at Kentucky the last 6 or 7 years and we can all agree they have had significantly more talent than Gonzaga. Especially their loss to an undermanned Wisconsin Team when Kentucky was undefeated. It happens.

I understand what you're saying. All I'm saying is that Zaga is getting to that point where elite programs are judged harsher. That's not a slight to them at all, thats giving them the credit of them taking a huge step as a program.

On a side note, what do you mean undermanned? I can't remember but are you saying Wisconsin was missing somebody? I tried to wipe that game away from my memory cause it hurt so much lol.

I understand what you're saying. All I'm saying is that Zaga is getting to that point where elite programs are judged harsher. That's not a slight to them at all, thats giving them the credit of them taking a huge step as a program.

On a side note, what do you mean undermanned? I can't remember but are you saying Wisconsin was missing somebody? I tried to wipe that game away from my memory cause it hurt so much lol.
Sorry - I meant underdog....

21 - NC game
20 - 1 seed -no tourney -
19 - elite 8
18 - sweet 16
17 - NC game
16 - sweet 16
15 - elite 8

Clearly their conference schedule is holding them back....haha.
who has been more consistent in the past 7 years? And it isn’t going to change going forward as long as Few is there.
Oh, they’re good, but that wasn’t my point. My point is that getting to those last 2-3 games in the tourney where they tend to see better basketball players is where they can’t seem to pull through. If you think playing their conference schedule benefits them more than playing a Power 5 league schedule, then you do. I disagree.

Oh, they’re good, but that wasn’t my point. My point is that getting to those last 2-3 games in the tourney where they tend to see better basketball players is where they can’t seem to pull through. If you think playing their conference schedule benefits them more than playing a Power 5 league schedule, then you do. I disagree.
I’m saying it doesn’t matter either way and all you have to do is look at the success/history of most all teams and you won’t be able to determine a negative trend for what conference the zags play in versus P5 teams.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
No one would say anything if they were in the Big Ten and had the exact same results as they have had over the last decade. It's exceptionally hard to win a championship. Boeheim has only one. Izzo has one. Self one. Calipari one. Beilein was runner up twice, too, and no one gave him much guff about not being able to break through.

If Gonzaga is top 3-4 in NCAA tournament wins in the last 10 years, which I believe they are, then it's hard to buy the sentiment they aren't adequately prepared for it.

Playing in the SEC doesn't prepare a team to win a national championship either.

Evidence submitted: Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Alabama, A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, and Auburn

Why didn't you mention Kentucky, Arkansas, or Florida?

Oh...I know why! BECAUSE THEY WON NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Tennessee has 0 national championships. The SEC must not adequately prepare them for the NCAAT.

Your argument is extremely flawed if that is your “submitted evidence”.

Try this evidence on for size: the SEC seemed to prepare Florida, Kentucky, and Arkansas for National Championships.

Haha. Volgee and Chris pretty much summed up the ineptitude of this post.
I just don’t get the zag hate. We would love to have their last 25 years of tourney history as would 97% of all college basketball teams. Period.

Actually, I don't hate them at all. Clean program, and I respect that. Others should run their program as honestly as they seem to. I'd rather see them win than Kentucky, Kansas, LSU, etc.

I simply don't think that being untested for 2-and-a-half months leads to being fully prepared to reel off 6 games (3 or 4 against quality opponents) to win a national title.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
Why didn't you mention Kentucky, Arkansas, or Florida?

Oh...I know why! BECAUSE THEY WON NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

I have no idea how that helps your argument. Weird theory.

UConn has won from the American Conference. Memphis should have won (if they foul late) from CUSA.

Reactions: cncchris33
Actually, I don't hate them at all. Clean program, and I respect that. Others should run their program as honestly as they seem to. I'd rather see them win that Kentucky, Kansas, LSU, etc.

I simply don't think that being untested for 2-and-a-half months leads to being fully prepared to reel off 6 games (3 or 4 against quality opponents) to win a national title.
I like the Zags and what Mark Few has accomplished. Yes, iron does sharpen iron. Being battle-tested to the max throughout the course of a season prepares any team to better compete against that nasty pressure Baylor exhibited.

Try this evidence on for size: the SEC seemed to prepare Florida, Kentucky, and Arkansas for National Championships.
Okay, then I guess the WCC prepared the San Francisco Dons for back-to-back National Championships in the 50s.🤷🏻‍♂️

Your argument isn’t getting stronger, especially in light of the fact that Gonzaga played the strongest OOC schedule in the country, and typically does every year. Your insinuation that they get to the NCAAT and are shell-shocked at the level of competition is a farce. They may not have seen it in late January thru mid-March, but they are battle-tested as much or more than anyone in November thru early January.

And BTW, the SEC has produced 6 national champions in my lifetime (41 years), only 1 in the last 14 years, and only 3 out of 14 SEC teams have ever won the NCAAT. In the last 14 years, Gonzaga has as many title game appearances (2) as the entire SEC (Kentucky, twice).

Actually, I don't hate them at all. Clean program, and I respect that. Others should run their program as honestly as they seem to. I'd rather see them win than Kentucky, Kansas, LSU, etc.

Baylor was simply better last night and it was not because conference affiliation. Baylor shot 60% from 3 compared to Gonzaga at 12% in the first half. And the misses were uncontested. It wasn’t like Baylor was draped on Kispert and Suggs.... they were simply cold. It happens. And that’s a recipe for a loss. Gonzaga was under 30% for the game and Baylor was over 50% until late....when it no longer mattered and they missed some at the end of the shot clock. It’s really that simple. Yes Baylor’s D was fantastic, but if the zags weren’t put in a hole early due to frigid shooting, who knows what would’ve happened. It isn’t about the conference.

Okay, then I guess the WCC prepared the San Francisco Dons for back-to-back National Championships in the 50s.🤷🏻‍♂️

Your argument isn’t getting stronger, especially in light of the fact that Gonzaga played the strongest OOC schedule in the country, and typically does every year. Your insinuation that they get to the NCAAT and are shell-shocked at the level of competition is a farce. They may not have seen it in late January thru mid-March, but they are battle-tested as much or more than anyone in November thru early January.

And BTW, the SEC has produced 6 national champions in my lifetime (41 years), only 1 in the last 14 years, and only 3 out of 14 SEC teams have ever won the NCAAT. In the last 14 years, Gonzaga has as many title game appearances (2) as the entire SEC (Kentucky, twice).
Chris pretty much ends the argument.

Mike Boynton "parting ways" with Cade's brother the MOMENT Cade leaves for the NBA Draft is just absolutely hilarious and the biggest middle finger to the NCAA out there. It's like openly flaunting the fact that they just paid Cade's brother as a means to an end for paying Cade to come to OSU but the NCAA cannot do anything about it. Just so freaking funny.

Mike Boynton "parting ways" with Cade's brother the MOMENT Cade leaves for the NBA Draft is just absolutely hilarious and the biggest middle finger to the NCAA out there. It's like openly flaunting the fact that they just paid Cade's brother as a means to an end for paying Cade to come to OSU but the NCAA cannot do anything about it. Just so freaking funny.

Just the way things can be done. I remember Gary Parrish saying the way to land (or in Tubby’s case keep) the Lawson brothers at Memphis was to legally and ethically pay their father to be on staff. It’s payment, but it’s legal.

VN Store

Back