LB scenarios

Give me your expected scenario at LB this fall.

Clearly worst case is Henry T, Crouch, French, Willis, Beasley are all gone.
Henry T and Crouch are very likely gone.

French, Willis, and Beasley will get some form of punishment and play.

Reactions: 901 Orange
LOL ..yea he cant play LB at Carson Newman ... watched him play .. definately not a Power 5 LB .... heck he cant even snap .. did you see the 1st game ????
What does not being able to snap have to do with not being able to improve and help out at LB?

When and were have you watched him play? High school?

I think Jeremy Banks is our best LB whether or not Henry T comes back. Never thought Q was good, so I don't anticipate him being a starter whether or not he comes back.

Just like everyone else we'll be playing a lot of nickel, so I'm guessing it'll be Banks and Baron at LB with Harrison lining up at DE. Banks and Henry T at LB if he returns.

Not expecting much from any of the incoming freshmen on defense this year.

Some folks are forgetting Morven Joseph and Roman Harrison have been taking reps in drills with LBs. That certainly isn’t ideal but it helps the depth there.

Wondering if we do something creative with bulked up nickels and safeties. Tamarion McDonald was already a big nickel and a guy like Tank could throw on a few extra pounds and play in the box at OLB.

Transfer portal-here we come. There will be more available after everyone has their spring practices. Probably won't get a star LB, but probably some players who can provide some depth. There have to be some players out there who would like to play for UT. You can bet on that.

Reactions: Vol Main
I think Jeremy Banks is our best LB whether or not Henry T comes back. Never thought Q was good, so I don't anticipate him being a starter whether or not he comes back.

Just like everyone else we'll be playing a lot of nickel, so I'm guessing it'll be Banks and Baron at LB with Harrison lining up at DE. Banks and Henry T at LB if he returns.

Not expecting much from any of the incoming freshmen on defense this year.
Baron is a DE now.
He'a about 265.
The linebackers in our new scheme have different responsibilities. It's closer to what Chavis or Janceck ran while here.

Reactions: Pacer92
Some folks are forgetting Morven Joseph and Roman Harrison have been taking reps in drills with LBs. That certainly isn’t ideal but it helps the depth there.

Wondering if we do something creative with bulked up nickels and safeties. Tamarion McDonald was already a big nickel and a guy like Tank could throw on a few extra pounds and play in the box at OLB.

McDonald beefed up would make a great OLB in the 4-3.

Morven Joseph has played ILB. Pruitt recruited him to be a 4 spot LB.

Harrison has more physical ability than anybody and he's aggressive, but he's looked lost playing in space. Still plays like he's a nose guard...

Banks really needs to put it all together.

McDonald beefed up would make a great OLB in the 4-3.

Morven Joseph has played ILB. Pruitt recruited him to be a 4 spot LB.

Harrison has more physical ability than anybody and he's aggressive, but he's looked lost playing in space. Still plays like he's a nose guard...

Banks really needs to put it all together.

I’d love to see Harrison at Mike, but lined up as a stand-up 0 tech in a wide-9 4-3 look to simulate a 5 man front. Force the center to commit to him in pass rushes, so it’s harder to double team a DT, then drop him into a zone like in a 3-4 disguise. It’d also make pulling guards a gamble in the run game because he’s so quick he could shoot through the gap they leave.

Not a solution per se but it’d be an interesting formation that could pose challenges to an offense while masking a weakness of the roster.

What does not being able to snap have to do with not being able to improve and help out at LB?

He can snap. Just had a bad outing as a freshman in first SEC competition. I remember when Leaverton started out shakey for us, but then settled in, and became special teams hero in national championship game.

yep .. you have to be able to help to help .. kid does NOT have Power 5 ability to play LB ... snapping .. yes ..he is a good deep snapper that got off to rough start ..im sure he has been working on his craft .. but for him to even be in a LB rotation is a true indication of how much of a dire situation we are in ..period .

yep .. you have to be able to help to help .. kid does NOT have Power 5 ability to play LB ... snapping .. yes ..he is a good deep snapper that got off to rough start ..im sure he has been working on his craft .. but for him to even be in a LB rotation is a true indication of how much of a dire situation we are in ..period .
Based on what? You need to back your opinion up with something proving he is not capable of improving into a contributor at LB or just stop making these ironclad declarations.

The situation is dire. That doesn't prove he has no ability or has not improved or cannot improve. I'm not hanging my hopes on the kid by any stretch. But if he's going to be written off after coaches suggested he may have some ability... I want a better reason than the negativism of a poster on a fan board.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Give me your expected scenario at LB this fall.

Clearly worst case is Henry T, Crouch, French, Willis, Beasley are all gone.

Pfft. Doesn't matter. The new reality is balls to the wall offense. D is an irrelevant afterthought.

Sorry to every fan out there of traditional football... including me.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Based on what? You need to back your opinion up with something proving he is not capable of improving into a contributor at LB or just stop making these ironclad declarations.

The situation is dire. That doesn't prove he has no ability or has not improved or cannot improve. I'm not hanging my hopes on the kid by any stretch. But if he's going to be written off after coaches suggested he may have some ability... I want a better reason than the negativism of a poster on a fan board.
The coached suggested he had ability ?? where was that declaration as you say made .. I think he is there just for having a body there sake .. we are down to bare mininum .. I can tell you the coaches are really hoping they are not forced to play this kid alot at ILB this year ..

ILB are Banks and probably Joseph. Maybe even Eason, Garland, or Page. I would include McDonald, but the secondary is even thinner. OLB are Baron, Harrison, Eason, and Young.

VN Store

Back