Heupel Deserves Better Than This

First..it's important to say that I'm supporting Coach Heupel. I'm hoping he is able to create the "Heupel Era" in Tennessee's football program and remains in Knoxville a very long time. He certainly has challenges ahead of him...however,
Coach Heupel's record as a HEAD coach is not stellar by a long shot. In fact, one can make an argument that he basically did OK at Central Florida until he ran out of Scott Frost's players. In his 3-year tenure as a HEAD coach, his teams got worse every year.
Soooo...let's not feel too bad about his situation.
To have 10 players that included 2 starters that included 5 Jr's sit out for the season before you play one game...have 3 losses by a combined 9 points that included a 3pt loss to Cincinatti that was a quarter away from beating Georgia. It isn't like he went 6-4 and the 4 losses were like 4 of our losses the past 4 years by 25 points a game. In 2019 his 3 losses were by a combined total of 7pts.

As far as the "his teams got worse every year" thing....do you guys expect HC's besides Saban, Meyer, or Dabo to go undefeated every single season? I mean that is what you are saying with that comment. His offenses have been some of the most dominant offenses in the country. He has never had a defense to offset his offenses. Just some food for thought...with UCF players he had LSU still with all the pieces of their 2019 National Championship squad and top 10 defense sit on the ball for 3 quarters. He put up 32 points on them in nearly 15 combined minutes of time of possession. Plus he beat the brakes off of Lane Kiffin twice.

The man has never had a defense to help out his offenses. If he can get some help from that side of the ball....we are going to be just fine.

Last edited:
No. Not wrong. Whatever recruiting momentum Heupel is going to have will be at a crossroads no later than the 2022 class. By then he will either have created positive energy around the program by his performance on the field or recruits will see it as another failed hire.

Coaches that do not show something within their first 3 years have to go. Not because it is fair. Not because they don't have talent. They have to go because they no longer have the credibility in recruiting.

This is horsecrap

To have 10 players that included 2 starters that included 5 Jr's sit out for the season before you play one game...have 3 losses by a combined 9 points that included a 3pt loss to Cincinatti that was a quarter away from beating Georgia. It isn't like he went 6-4 and the 4 losses were like 4 of our losses the past 4 years by 25 points a game. In 2019 his 3 losses were by a combined total of 7pts.
As far as the "his teams got worse every year" thing....do you guys expect HC's besides Saban, Meyer, or Dabo to go undefeated every single season? I mean that is what you are saying with that comment. His offenses have been some of the most dominant offenses in the country. He has never had a defense to offset his offenses. Just some food for thought...with UCF players he had LSU still with all the pieces of their 2019 National Championship squad and top 10 defense sit on the ball for 3 quarters. He put up 32 points on them in nearly 15 combined minutes of time of possession. Plus he beat the brakes off of Lane Kiffin twice.
The man has never had a defense to help out his offenses. If he can get some help from that side of the ball....we are going to be just fine.

You sir, are correct!! GBO!!

Reactions: tdawgs and birdie74
Yeah they could have broken the bank and got Mike McCarthy. Maybe even paid big money for Jason Garrett. Sure they told the search firm they had BIG money to spend, but no P5 winning coaches would take it. Could not even get a hot P5 coordinator to take it. The only reason Heuple is here is White and that is because he trusts him. If you hire Xyz as AD then Heuple is not even here. Leap of faith by White and Heuple that they can change the crap.

They knew, given looming NCAA sanctions, that they would have to pay a premium on top of a high salary if they went after a top-tier coach, they chose not to; simple as that.

Heupel, for all the 'heupe' that gets generated on here, didn't interview for another P5 coaching position, and wasn't on any AD's shortlist, except Danny White.

He's a cheap hire especially given the unknowns with the NCAA, and the administration doesn't care, because regardless of UT's performance, the SEC Network money will still flow at the same rate.

Because I'm in "wait and see" mode, and don't take his record at UCF on face value as any guarantee of success (only 10 opponents in his 28 wins had winning records), that's being negative?

Besides that, I'm just honest with myself about the hire. For the price range, he's probably the best coach for the amount of money the administration wanted to spend, but the reality is that he wasn't a candidate for any other P5 coaching position, and he doesn't get the job at UT without Danny White being hired as AD.
Yeah, I was disappointed with the White decision. It was the easy way out. AV stated how he was over the moon with White but I consider the Heupel hire as strike one against White in his first major decision. I still would be happy if Heupel proves us wrong.

On paper the defense appears to be lacking in having a quality roster. We may look better on offense because there is nowhere to go but up but I fear we may set a record for points allowed this year.

One thing I already like a lot about Coach Heupel is he’s positive. He talks up his players. Pruitt was the opposite. Barnes is the opposite as he rips his players after every loss. Refreshing to finally get a coach that understands the power of positivity. Keep it up Coach!!!

Yeah, I was disappointed with the White decision. It was the easy way out. AV stated how he was over the moon with White but I consider the Heupel hire as strike one against White in his first major decision. I still would be happy if Heupel proves us wrong.

It did irk me at first, because it just came across as completely lazy, but after stewing on it, I believe White was given a pool of money, and he had to ask himself, "who's the best option that will come here for the amount of money that I can pay them?"

It did irk me at first, because it just came across as completely lazy, but after stewing on it, I believe White was given a pool of money, and he had to ask himself, "who's the best option that will come here for the amount of money that I can pay them?"
I hate to be THAT guy, but I'm honestly thinking White sat down and said who is out there that can check the following boxes:
-Can bring an exciting brand of football to put butts in seats
-Can get some excitement nationally about Tennessee Football again
-Can maybe surprise a few of the upper teams along the way
-And do all that with the NCAA axe coming down
Then I can hire a BIG name if I need.

In other words, I'm not 100% convinced Danny White was hiring the next football coach at Tennessee as much as he was laying the groundwork to hire the guy after the next head football coach.

Well at least for him the bar is not very high for the next two or so years. Fans would build him a statue for 6-6

They knew, given looming NCAA sanctions, that they would have to pay a premium on top of a high salary if they went after a top-tier coach, they chose not to; simple as that.

Heupel, for all the 'heupe' that gets generated on here, didn't interview for another P5 coaching position, and wasn't on any AD's shortlist, except Danny White.

He's a cheap hire especially given the unknowns with the NCAA, and the administration doesn't care, because regardless of UT's performance, the SEC Network money will still flow at the same rate.
James Franklin not a top-tier coach?

When the going gets tough, the tough get to Coaching/Leading!

Knowing our luck, it will be a LB or CB that will get kicked off the team.

On paper the defense appears to be lacking in having a quality roster. We may look better on offense because there is nowhere to go but up but I fear we may set a record for points allowed this year.
Easier to swallow a loss when you are in a shoot out and lose by 7-14 points. We are so used to losing by 30+points getting our eyes beat in and nose broken over to our right ear...it’s hard to imagine anything other than that.
It is hard to remember Dobbs senior year we had the best offense in the SEC. Feels like a lifetime ago.
Not to mention even though our defensive side of the ball is lacking depth...the athletes are arguably the best he’s had to work with.

You sir, are correct!! GBO!!
It’s an offensive league. The big names were obviously scared to be here with the NCAA issues Pruitt put us in. With that said...folks on here wanted Kiffin...White hired the guy that beat the brakes off of him twice and has had consistently potent offenses for 3 years straight.

Seems the OP is sarcasm because he agrees with the poster that says "he has to go".
You could be correct. It is still a weird thread. Hard to fathom deserve when you are talking about millions of dollars. Oxymoron right there.

VN Store

Back