THE OFFICIAL DUKE/UNC B-BALL THREAD 2020/21 (WORSE, SLOWER, MORE MASKS, LESS FANS, LESS W’s)

Very risky = VERY HIGH likelihood of ending up like UT's football program over the last 10 years - like I said, any of those options is a failure.
Miller might work out, but there’s a BIG BIG difference from building a program in the SoCon vs being the head coach at Carolina.

I’d much rather they go outside the family and hire someone established, but two of those options are still coaching in the Final Four, so that tells me they’re out. Roy wouldn’t step down without there already being a successor lined up.

Miller might work out, but there’s a BIG BIG difference from building a program in the SoCon vs being the head coach at Carolina.

I’d much rather they go outside the family and hire someone established, but two of those options are still coaching in the Final Four, so that tells me they’re out. Roy wouldn’t step down without there already being a successor lined up.
Got in from work and the first thing I hear is Roy say is Wes Miller’s name = it’s a sign.

I hate that idea. Big time hate that idea .

We have exchanged some heat on here, but gotta hand it to you, those are wise words.

That said, I would be shocked if Few leaves 'Zaga. That fanbase is passionate and unusually loyal. And Few is the guy who will have taken them to the promised land. If I were him, I'dd use this to get a pay bump into the elite section, then stay put at the school I love and the fanbase that loves me back. I don't think the University of New Jersey at Durham need be concerned......

We have exchanged some heat on here, but gotta hand it to you, those are wise words.

That said, I would be shocked if Few leaves 'Zaga. That fanbase is passionate and unusually loyal. And Few is the guy who will have taken them to the promised land. If I were him, I'dd use this to get a pay bump into the elite section, then stay put at the school I love and the fanbase that loves me back. I don't think the University of New Jersey at Durham need be concerned......
Same. He's basically built them into being a blue-blood program and I don't see any reason why he'd leave. If he feels like he should be paid more, I'm sure Gonzaga will pony up.

Someone else said they think the successor has already been determined. If that's the case, I'm not feeling too good about it. Roy's so loyal to "his" guys, I'd think he wants one of them to get the job. I'll be shocked if it's someone that makes everyone (who pulls for UNC) happy.

Interesting, and not too hard to believe.

Even if your pride is wounded, that just makes no sense to transfer. He was going to be fed the ball all year next year if he stayed at UNC anyway. If you transfer you're kind of having to restart anyway at a new program.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Same. He's basically built them into being a blue-blood program and I don't see any reason why he'd leave. If he feels like he should be paid more, I'm sure Gonzaga will pony up.

Someone else said they think the successor has already been determined. If that's the case, I'm not feeling too good about it. Roy's so loyal to "his" guys, I'd think he wants one of them to get the job. I'll be shocked if it's someone that makes everyone (who pulls for UNC) happy.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already been decided. I can already hear the press conference now with either Huber or Wes Miller being introduced as the head coach because “he possesses all the traits that Coach Smith would want and Coach Williams believe should represent the University of North Carolina Men’s basketball team.” As of right now, I would be perfectly ok with either one. I think Hubert is the safer hire for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already been decided. I can already hear the press conference now with either Huber or Wes Miller being introduced as the head coach because “he possesses all the traits that Coach Smith would want and Coach Williams believe should represent the University of North Carolina Men’s basketball team.” As of right now, I would be perfectly ok with either one. I think Hubert is the safer hire for a variety of reasons.
Didn't Bubba already say that Roy would be involved with the hiring process? If so, one of his buddies has to be the prohibitive favorite.

It's interesting to me that despite them being a Blue Blood who could hire just about anyone, they are very much an insular, "keep it in the family" program when it comes to coaching hires. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but just an interesting approach given their reach.

Even if your pride is wounded, that just makes no sense to transfer. He was going to be fed the ball all year next year if he stayed at UNC anyway. If you transfer you're kind of having to restart anyway at a new program.
I don’t think I’ve ever been more surprised and even excited by a kid leaving UNC because it absolutely made zero sense and I also saw him being a star in Chapel Hill. Big guys with that skill set don’t leave UNC. You’re a guaranteed 18 & 10 guy.

Didn't Bubba already say that Roy would be involved with the hiring process? If so, one of his buddies has to be the prohibitive favorite.

It's interesting to me that despite them being a Blue Blood who could hire just about anyone, they are very much an insular, "keep it in the family" program when it comes to coaching hires. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but just an interesting approach given their reach.
I’ve been pretty good so far, but here is where I take my shot. People always talk about the arrogance of Duke, and I get it, but UNC likes to disguise theirs in different ways. Their whole “Carolina Way” mantra and their Charles Kuralt “University of the People” schtick is their way of saying they’re better than you, their standard is higher and only they can get it. It’s kind of a “Michigan Man” deal, both very arrogant “Public Ivys” on the academic front.

I’ve been pretty good so far, but here is where I take my shot. People always talk about the arrogance of Duke, and I get it, but UNC likes to disguise theirs in different ways. Their whole “Carolina Way” mantra and their Charles Kuralt “University of the People” schtick is their way of saying they’re better than you, their standard is higher and only they can get it. It’s kind of a “Michigan Man” deal, both very arrogant “Public Ivys” on the academic front.
Oh, I mean both schools are quite arrogant. It is easier to label Duke with it because it is a private school made up predominantly of rich kids from "up north." I've always thought that UNC people have something of an inferiority complex about that, like they're worried people go to UNC because they couldn't get into Duke.

Oh, I mean both schools are quite arrogant. It is easier to label Duke with it because it is a private school made up predominantly of rich kids from "up north." I've always thought that UNC people have something of an inferiority complex about that, like they're worried people go to UNC because they couldn't get into Duke.
Heres the thing about that, and maybe it’s because I grew up in Durham and my family became Duke fans when we moved there when I was 3 years old in 1985, but Duke didn’t carry that label then. Yes the majority of the undergrads come from wealthy NY, NJ, and Connecticut zip codes, but Duke Basketball was viewed separate from that. Coach K brought a very blue collar, regimented, Army work ethic to his program and his players played that way. It was very rare for Duke to be out worked, but they would come up short in the very big games and very often against Carolina. UNC on the other hand, they were old money. Dean was just a few years removed from his first title, UNC was putting superstars in the NBA. UNC and Dean ran the ACC. I think Coach K has always kept that inferiority complex he felt towards UNC at the forefront of his coaching style, even after he had brought Duke to an equal status of UNC or surpassed it to a degree. All the stuff people love to pick on, the guys slapping the floor, the white guys everyone loves to hate because they are kind of punchable all stems from the time when everyone actually pulled for Duke as an underdog and when there was a massive chip on Duke’s shoulder because of their inferiority complex towards UNC.

I just realized I wrote a lot and didn’t exactly respond to what you were saying, but i didn’t know a lot of people locally who wanted to go to Duke. Duke is like it’s own weird bubble, while UNC is more of a traditional college feel. All the kids I knew that wanted to go to Duke knew they were getting in before they even applied. It was always very clear why they were getting in, cough Lori Laughlin, cough....or because they were that smart and already carried large life goals at 16. I know a lot of UNC alums and I don’t think any of them were ever expecting to get into Duke and viewed UNC as a safety school. They were very good students who wanted a traditional college experience and UNC offered that on the cheap. I‘m sure @NashVol11 could probably expound on some his experiences, even though they might be through a different lense than mine.

Last edited:
Heres the thing about that, and maybe it’s because I grew up in Durham and my family became Duke fans when we moved there when I was 3 years old in 1985, but Duke didn’t carry that label then. Yes the majority of the undergrads come from wealthy NY, NJ, and Connecticut zip codes, but Duke Basketball was viewed separate from that. Coach K brought a very blue collar, regimented, Army work ethic to his program and his players played that way. It was very rare for Duke to be out worked, but they would come up short in the very big games and very often against Carolina. UNC on the other hand, they were old money. Dean was just a few years removed from his first title, UNC was putting superstars in the NBA. UNC and Dean ran the ACC. I think Coach K has always kept that inferiority complex he felt towards UNC at the forefront of his coaching style, even after he had brought Duke to an equal status of UNC or surpassed it to a degree. All the stuff people love to pick on, the guys slapping the floor, the white guys everyone loves to hate because they are kind of punchable all stems from the time when everyone actually pulled for Duke as an underdog and when there was a massive chip on Duke’s shoulder because of their inferiority complex towards UNC.

I just realized I wrote a lot and didn’t exactly respond to what you were saying, but i didn’t know a lot of people locally who wanted to go to Duke. Duke is like it’s own weird bubble, while UNC is more of a traditional college feel. All the kids I knew that wanted to go to Duke knew they were getting in before they even applied. It was always very clear why they were getting in, cough Lori Laughlin, cough....or because they were that smart and already carried large life goals at 16. I know a lot of UNC alums and I don’t think any of them were ever expecting to get into Duke and viewed UNC as a safety school. They were very good students who wanted a traditional college experience and UNC offered that on the cheap. I‘m sure @NashVol11 could probably expound on some his experiences, even though they might be through a different lense than mine.
I guess I was speaking of contemporary times when I talked about a UNC inferiority complex to Duke. I can't speak to how it was in the 80s when you moved there, but I can see how the roles were reversed. I mean, Coach K is Duke basketball. Duke does not have a long history of a power like Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas. When K first got there in 1980, Duke was coming off a few good years under Bill Foster but they sucked during K's first few years and UNC was absolutely rolling. Duke didn't really become "Duke" (as people feel about them today) until the 90s, so it is a relatively recent development. They didn't even win a national title until 1991.

Per sources of mine close to the situation. Hubert Davis will be the next head coach of the UNC Tar Heels.

Last edited:
Hubert’s first recruiting visit should be with Walker Kessler (or his dad) and try to mend that fence.

I’ve heard that.
I agree with what you said though. I’d do anything to keep him on campus if I were Hubert. Hell I’ll drive over to Franklin now and buy a UNC shirt and drop off a bag cash to Kessler at Granville Towers. Of course I will be documenting the entire process and sending it to local news outlets.

Ad with this hire, UNC Basketball throws its hat into the ring with Indiana Basketball and Tennessee Football as proud programs who suffered a fall from relevance b/c of questionable hires.

I moved to the Durham area at the same time you did and we are the same age. And you are right when I think back. Duke was actually looked at as an underdog or an up and comer. Winning it all back to back changed that instantly. I thought Bobby Hurley was the man.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Ad with this hire, UNC Basketball throws its hat into the ring with Indiana Basketball and Tennessee Football as proud programs who suffered a fall from relevance b/c of questionable hires.
That seems presumptuous. They've swung and missed before (Matt Doherty) but got on track afterwards.

VN Store

Back