Heupel Deserves Better Than This

1. Depleted recruit class.

2. Cloud of NCAA investigation hanging over program.

3. Beasley allegations.

4. Brandon Davis situation.

Heupel is blameless. He did nothing to cause any of this. He is above all this.

Yet, he has to deal with all of this.

Unfair, IMHO.
It's not like he is doing this for free... and he has an AD in Danny White who obviously believes in him. White has hired him twice now. Heupel will get a fair chance. The first thing that needs to happen, is this internal investigation needs to be wrapped up before the start of the season. Recruiting anything but low 3 stars will be impossible until then.

3. Beasley allegations.

Unfair, IMHO.
does this mean the bar won't be set to high for him in his first year? due to the mentioned "unfairness"?

does this mean the bar won't be set to high for him in his first year? due to the mentioned "unfairness"?
You’re missing the whole purpose of this! Recuse yourself, sir! 😡

Reactions: Behr

3. Beasley allegations.

Unfair, IMHO.

Honestly, we should probably just burn the whole thing down and start over from the waterboy to the lowest secretary job. This program is being cursed by a voodoo witch doctor

That is why we got him to straighten all these problems out and he accepted the challenge. We have to be patient and give him the time to get it done right now the program is a dumpster fire that he didn't create, but took upon him self to cure. I think he can do it and glad he is here.
White (A/D) will give him runway/lenience to fix. I think JH is smarter than previous two coaches combined...Dools was smart but arrogance and lack of hard work did him in. Even if W's don't come at the pace we want, if he starts to create excitement w/ offense, I think he's got a chance.

Honestly, we should probably just burn the whole thing down and start over from the waterboy to the lowest secretary job. This program is being cursed by a voodoo witch doctor
Sprinkle the whole mess with good ole Tennessee Moonshine.....,curse cured and DooDoo witch doctor drunk. Problem solved now where’s my money😷

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
If we don't give Heupel at least 75-80% of his 7 year contract to right the ship, it will make us even more radioactive, considering what he is inheriting.
Nope. Three years is enough to know whether a coach can coach. Coaches don't become great coaches in 5 years if they aren't already very good coaches in 1 year.

Some of us didn't buy Jones. Some did. Some wanted to so badly that they did. But ultimately the doubts he created in year 1 proved to be his undoing in year 5. The guy didn't have the coaching talent to coach at the SEC level. Same thing with Dooley and Pruitt. Both had the talent to win at least one more game in their first year. Neither did. All three of these coaches demonstrated who they were in year 1. In fact, a "weak" roster may reveal more about a coach's strengths and weaknesses than a strong roster.

Heupel has some disadvantages. Every leader in every situation does. He also has talent to work with and "manage". He couldn't have inherited a more favorable schedule. He has some discipline challenges and a GRAND opportunity to re-establish discipline within the program that is both just and sustainable.

He also benefits from some pretty low expectations. You have people saying 6 wins even against this schedule would be an overachievement.

I like him. I like his personality. I like his reputation for having high character and ability. But you simply cannot give a guy more than 3 or 4 years without him "proving" something. Fans need to see it but most importantly recruits need to see it.

Reactions: BigOrangeFanatic
If we don't give Heupel at least 75-80% of his 7 year contract to right the ship, it will make us even more radioactive, considering what he is inheriting.

A competent coach doesn't need 5+ years to show that they've got the program on an upward trajectory, and that they can recruit well enough to compete in the SEC.

Reactions: hog88
Georgia state says hi
Not to point out the obvious... but there will be a new HC, new style of play, new offense, and... a different QB. UT could still be absolutely awful and lose a bunch of games they shouldn't lose. But if that happens... it will have absolutely nothing to do with Pruitt's incompetence as a HC or GSU.

What happened with Brandon Davis?
Can't help myself, waiting for a poster to claim it was Guarantano who shot him. Was aiming for the heart. Part of the territory in coaching these days. I had someone explain to me how much pot the players had in the latest UTPD bust. It came out to a quarter of an ounce. I joked I have been to people's homes that you could have vacuumed that much from their living room carpet. All fun and games til somebody gets shot I suppose. Heupel will end up being Wyatt Earp or the guy who got killed after they fired Earp in Kansas.

A competent coach doesn't need 5+ years to show that they've got the program on an upward trajectory, and that they can recruit well enough to compete in the SEC.
I agree. I think you've written Heupel and staff off too soon. But no coach needs 5 years to prove they can coach. That "proof" this year could be NOT getting blown out by multiple opponents or having multiple bad losses. That would not be enough... he'll need to keep doing things to prove himself and at a higher level. But for now just field a competitive football team. A team that doesn't lay down. A team that scores some points and doesn't quit.

I think 6-8 wins with the current roster against this schedule is reasonable. But what if they win 5 and push UF, UGA, and Bama? That might be a good enough sign of coaching.

3. Beasley allegations.

Unfair, IMHO.
Always sympathy for the current coach...never the past coach. Will you feel the same way when Josh is gone and the next coach is dealing with his mess?

No. Not wrong. Whatever recruiting momentum Heupel is going to have will be at a crossroads no later than the 2022 class. By then he will either have created positive energy around the program by his performance on the field or recruits will see it as another failed hire.

Coaches that do not show something within their first 3 years have to go. Not because it is fair. Not because they don't have talent. They have to go because they no longer have the credibility in recruiting.

VN Store

Back