Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

No I was agreeing with you kind of and disagreeing with whoever started the thread

I thought so but wanted to be clear. I didn’t think kw as attacking her and had to go back and reread what i wrote because that def was not my intent 😄

I agree with you though

No I was agreeing with you kind of and disagreeing with whoever started the thread
i biggest thing i do not like about her. own your actions if so things need to change. then give coach getting fire to get of sit year out. if she kept her big mouth shut she play last year . ncaa agrees!

Yup, one and the same.

Huh. I don't think I was ever on that board, but it's interesting to hear such a forceful assessment. Maybe I was thinking of someone else - I guess a lot of names over there had "doggy" in the title, now that I think about it. Either way I can't say I know who's who now, but -- it's possible 15 years is harder on my memory than I would suspect.

**EDIT** - Ah, yes, I checked, I was thinking of someone else. I don't know a thing about Doggydaddy.

Last edited:
Huh. I don't think I was ever on that board, but it's interesting to hear such a forceful assessment. Maybe I was thinking of someone else - I guess a lot of names over there had "doggy" in the title, now that I think about it. Either way I can't say I know who's who now, but -- it's possible 15 years is harder on my memory than I would suspect.

**EDIT** - Ah, yes, I checked, I was thinking of someone else. I don't know a thing about Doggydaddy.
You might have been thinking about DaddyChoc. He was a good guy.

Reactions: Voltopia
Thanks for response. I think the key is player development. Look at the Barnes model. He developed 3 stars into a terrific team, and the whole world noticed. Now he's getting elite talent.

I think the reason we haven't recruited elite talent yet under CKH (although Pissott might be an exception) is that she hasn't shown she is an elite coach yet. But if she develops talent the way Barnes does, that should change. And it's not like she's recruited poorly. Her class coming in is top 15/20. That won't necessarily win championships, but those kind of players can be developed nicely over time into a very good team with good coaching, as Barnes has proved.

I also agree that in the meantime she must work hard at recruiting and keep trying to get that breakthrough recruit.
You are so spot on, player development is a crucial element of championship programs. Holly had more HS All-Americans than any power 5 program in the country, but player development was lacking. How else could Coach Auriemma take Diamond and Mercedes and get better results than she could. Yes, you are right, CKH is moving the development of players in the right direction. As far as recruiting, CKH may not be as widely known among high schoolers outside of TN, and that could have an impact. But her stature will continue to grow the more the program wins. Using Coach Barnes model will be a positive, and if we get Pissott and she has great success, it could be the door that opens itself to program changing recruits. Rae Burrell success will go along way in recruiting as well.

You are so spot on, player development is a crucial element of championship programs. Holly had more HS All-Americans than any power 5 program in the country, but player development was lacking. How else could Coach Auriemma take Diamond and Mercedes and get better results than she could. Yes, you are right, CKH is moving the development of players in the right direction. As far as recruiting, CKH may not be as widely known among high schoolers outside of TN, and that could have an impact. But her stature will continue to grow the more the program wins. Using Coach Barnes model will be a positive, and if we get Pissott and she has great success, it could be the door that opens itself to program changing recruits. Rae Burrell success will go along way in recruiting as well.
Wouldn’t you think flashing three national championship rings would get some attention? I’d say been there done that, want the same for you.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The thing about Barnes is he is yet to match with the top recruits what he was able to achieve with a bunch of three star players. Thus far his best teams were dominated by Williams, Schofield, Bone, Alexander, and Bowden. None were rated as elite recruits but they all had skills that bonded into special teams. I agree you really need to get some top players, but they must be the kind that are willing to play in the team concept and not be out just for themselves to pad their stats. I don't know where Coach Harper is going to take the Lady Vols. I do like what she has done thus far and although all of us want to see the top rated recruits come in here. I am not at all concerned that the players she is getting won't be able to make our team a lot better.

I’m pulling for Stanford because I have always liked Tara. She’s been one of the few elite coaches that has always respected all other coaches and programs. I really feel as though she has always done it the right way.

I’m also wondering if she gets the title this year, does it speed up her retirement timeline... just a thought

Good game so far, both teams playing tough defense.

Pull for Stanford, hard not to cheer for Arizona as well. Sam Thomas seems to be injured or extra tired. A bit of a loss for them, she hits a lot of momentum shots.

Well, there comes the Hooters commercial in all its glorious, stereoypical misogyny.

Gotta admire the tone-deaf boldness...although not as bad as some of the commercials "honoring" women "firsts" with some rather dubious accomplishments.

Very tight finish! All the seniors were super tight down the stretch for both teams. A ton of emotion.

Really excited for Stanford. They played through a lot of adversity this season and really came together. They were a fun team to watch all season. Wild that Tara wins another Championship almost 30 years later.

Stanford will be a problem for the next several years. They have lots of very talented young players and they all play within system.

I admire Stanford's coach. After the game I just think that she is relieved they won. However, her demeanor shows that she knows that they were fortunate to pull it out. She doesn't look just that happy. However, she is old school and expects a lot from her team. Congrats Stanford!

VN Store

Back