Tennessee lands Justin Powell

Yea I have been very clear. I don’t want any one and done players. Barnes needs players for more than one year to get them to achieve at the highest level in his system
I agree. One of Barnes best attributes as a coach is being a team developer.

Yea I have been very clear. I don’t want any one and done players. Barnes needs players for more than one year to get them to achieve at the highest level in his system
I think balance and exposure is good. Don’t want to see springer and Johnson go, but for every high profile that leaves, we have high profile opportunities for guys like the one we signed today. The price of recruiting at a high level

What’re you talking about? Literally all his shooting numbers were better this year than last? Essentially all his numbers are better this year.
He played with a flash/flair when he first got here. He played scared this year with the ball as far as facilitating. He also seemed to shy away from the floater he showed the year before.

He scored 2 less points a game (expected) the assists dropped, and he shot 1% better in each shooting statistic.

Last edited:
He’s playing out of position too.

Chandler will take the load off his back so he can be a spot up shooter.
Something I like from the highlight video of Powell is that he gets his assists from locating the open man on the perimeter. We're adding a point guard and a double threat outside shooter and perimeter distributor at the same time. Our attack from outside should be much more effective next year.

Reactions: Vol49er
So, I'm curious as to who willl be the one to suffer fewer minutes because of this? Vescovi? VJB?

And, what is the skinny on whether Powell can play defense or not?
IMO itll be Bailey. He’s a well below average defender mostly because he loses his man all the time. Plus he shoots it almost every time he touches it.

What’re you talking about? Literally all his shooting numbers were better this year than last? Essentially all his numbers are better this year.
Absolutely right. His numbers would‘ve been better if the other two guards didn’t turn it over 8-10 times a game. He HAD to be the primary ball handler. I don’t understand all the hate he gets. He practically SAVED our a#%¡es last year. He’s a terrific player. Plus he will be here 4 years

The coaches took SV off the ball towards the end of the season because he couldn't get the job done at point.
No not even close. Go back and listen to Coach Barnes and English in press conferences. They wanted him off the ball so he could get more shots. Most of the time he would bring it up and reverse the ball he’d never see it again. KJ & JS were supposed to be the primary PG’s this year but they simply turned it over too much. Especially Keon...

The coaches took SV off the ball towards the end of the season because he couldn't get the job done at point.

IMO Springer was expected to be the primary ball handler the last half of the season but his ankle injury disrupted that plan. I don’t think that Vescovi was supposed to be a primary option to be the PG. Bailey never became a distributor and JJJ was more important posting up as Fulk went through his multiple health issues. I don’t believe that Santiago was taken off the ball be cause he couldn’t get the job done. I think that Springer developed enough, his ankle healed enough, and Keon assisted getting the ball into the half court.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Good lesson for Danny White @Vol_football
Totally different, we got rid of the whole staff whereas Auburn kept there’s and fired one person while putting a bandaid over it with a self imposed tourney ban. Tennessee should look better in this scenario from a common sense perspective

Santi shot better overall and from 3. Had a much better assist to turnover ratio. Defended a lot better than his freshman year. People have gotten WAY too down on him
Him and Bailey took a backseat to the freshman for a reason and that reason was they were inconsistent scorers and that hampered the offense which led to having to depend way too much on the freshman to lead the offense without a supporting cast which is never a recipe for success in basketball.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Multi year shooter. One check mark down.
Now we need a multi year big.
Then two more guys who could contribute this year if need be, but also dont complain too much if they have to sit either.

VN Store

Back