Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Glad Arizona and Stanford won. Both deserved it. The championship will have one blue blood and one new comer.

Interesting that Arizona doesn't have a player that was ranked in the top 50. Where's all the recruiting geniuses who say a team cannot compete for championships unless they have top 5 players? Didn't help UConn or South Carolina did it?

I guess all those Nega anarchists will be wondering back to the pound and chicken coop where they can cuddle with their own and watch ESPN reruns about their greatness.

I’ll take a different tact and not attack other’s point of view and say that there are outliers. But good luck with arguing against the central importance of elite recruiting for perennial final four type programs. How many final fours in a row has UConn been? Is it 13-14? Let that sink in. SC is now the dominant SEC team. As for AZ, they had a unicorn PG on a hot streak. It’s the one position where a superior player has outsized influence. It also is our biggest roster shortcoming.

Last edited:
I’ll take a different tact and not attack others point of view and say that there are outliers. But good luck with arguing against the central importance of elite recruiting for perennial final four type programs. How many final fours in a row has UConn been? Is it 13-14? Let that sink in. SC is now the dominant SEC team. As for AZ, they had a unicorn PG on a hot streak. It’s the one position where a superior player has outsized influence. It also is our biggest roster shortcoming.

Let this sink in.... both your precious UConn and Chicken university both jam packed with high school AA’s lost. Coaching has a lot to do with winning.

I’m sure Geno does NOT feel that way at all 🤣

To also be fair if youre a LV fan and been around as long as you say you have you know Pat made 18 NCAA final fours (plus 4 prior the NCAA having a tourney). So that’s 22 total Final Fours TN has made. So you’ve experienced more Final four games than the average fan. I am sure you can be held over for now 😏
At my age my concern is we are no where close to getting to any Final Fours. Just watching this tourney opened my eyes even more just how far behind we truly are. No one is dethroning SC in the SEC anytime soon and it looks like at best we are a 3rd or 4th place team in a Conference that maybe the 3rd best Conference. That does not bode well for Championships. But we can always dream.

Interesting that Arizona doesn't have a player that was ranked in the top 50. Where's all the recruiting geniuses who say a team cannot compete for championships unless they have top 5 players? Didn't help UConn or South Carolina did it?

I take your point though technically Cate Reese was #12 overall and the #3 forward on Hoopgurlz in the 2018 class, and Lauren Ware was #26 overall and also the #3 forward in the 2020 class.

Reactions: Rickster
I’ll take a different tact and not attack others point of view and say that there are outliers. But good luck with arguing against the central importance of elite recruiting for perennial final four type programs. How many final fours in a row has UConn been? Is it 13-14? Let that sink in. SC is now the dominant SEC team. As for AZ, they had a unicorn PG on a hot streak. It’s the one position where a superior player has outsized influence. It also is our biggest roster shortcoming.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that it isn’t great to have a bunch of top recruits. I think the point is there are a lot more really good high school players. Better coaching, better conditioning etc. How big a drop off is there between the #3 and #8 forwards in a class. I would suggest potentially none. Different competition, surrounded by different players, injuries etc.
As an example I am going to say Kaiya Wynn is flat out a top 20 player. I think hoop girls has her in 50-60. Another rater had her in the 20s as a junior. I think part of the issue was she didn’t play AAU for a period(feel free to correct me on that anyone). But she dominated in Houston and grew 2 inches and is now 6’. Point being ratings are a very inexact science. Lots of great players out there- can you coach them up, do you avoid the injury bug, do they fit into your system, do the players mesh, do you have a winning, positive culture. It is an exciting time to be a WBB fan! Now if we could just get the NCAA poobas to be WBB fans😡!

I don’t think anyone is arguing that it isn’t great to have a bunch of top recruits. I think the point is there are a lot more really good high school players. Better coaching, better conditioning etc. How big a drop off is there between the #3 and #8 forwards in a class. I would suggest potentially none. Different competition, surrounded by different players, injuries etc.
As an example I am going to say Kaiya Wynn is flat out a top 20 player. I think hoop girls has her in 50-60. Another rater had her in the 20s as a junior. I think part of the issue was she didn’t play AAU for a period(feel free to correct me on that anyone). But she dominated in Houston and grew 2 inches and is now 6’. Point being ratings are a very inexact science. Lots of great players out there- can you coach them up, do you avoid the injury bug, do they fit into your system, do the players mesh, do you have a winning, positive culture. It is an exciting time to be a WBB fan! Now if we could just get the NCAA poobas to be WBB fans😡!

Ok, it’s possible but only occasionally. But the perennial final four teams without exception recruit elite talent. That is indisputable. Isn’t that the goal? And since AZ is the interloper this year, another poster pointed out they have 12 and 26th ranked players, to elite but not bad. Yet, their success was reliant on a red hot super quick point guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver and Lucy
I’ll take a different tact and not attack other’s point of view and say that there are outliers. But good luck with arguing against the central importance of elite recruiting for perennial final four type programs. How many final fours in a row has UConn been? Is it 13-14? Let that sink in. SC is now the dominant SEC team. As for AZ, they had a unicorn PG on a hot streak. It’s the one position where a superior player has outsized influence. It also is our biggest roster shortcoming.
Yes any team that has a great PG will be competitive in most every game. It’s the most imp position in basketball.

Wynn was number 21 In Olsen's previous top 100 2022 players when Premier took over the ratings for ESPN she fell to 62. Hopefully that All Star game will end up being uploaded to You Tube in the next few days and get to see the game and Tennessee players in action. What I saw in practice was impressed with Wynn's three point shooting stroke and Puckett's all around game.

What we need is a point guard in the women's game like Chandler who Barnes recruited for the men. Barnes hit the jackpot with that player going to elevate the men Vols way up next season. Playing a game on ESPNU for high school title today. Also saw Raven Johnson playing in the women's game she is fabulous SC hit the jackpot with her going to make them even tougher fabulous player. Haven't seen enough of our little player Miles but she has a great floor game think her shooting needs a lot of work.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Could Wynn be developed into an elite point guard?
Definitely but I think she is going to be a two guard most of her playing career. Wynn and Miles will be one of if not the quickest duo in the SEC. Wynn is far ahead of Miles as a scorer but Miles can pass the ball and break down a defense for perimeter shooters.

To be fair, EW played a vital role on a national title contending team, and competed at the highest level of WBB at the D1 level. She is a conference champion, a sweet 16 and elite 8 winner, and made a final 4. None of these things would probably happen if she's still a Lady Vol. And before folks start saying, "oh he must be a fan", we need to turn the page when it comes to EW, she is gone, and God bless her in any and all things she wants to do with "her life." The bottom line is that players want to win "CHAMPIONSHIPS", and currently we are not that team or program. Until we become a championship program again, high school players are going opt to go elsewhere. Whether we like it or not, EW decision's to leave UT is working out for "her". Lets turn the page, GO LADY VOLS!!!!

The grass is not greener in UConn to cold, but they did make a final four so that is still a very good achievement for them and her. I'm glad they lost not because of her because of all of them.
They made it with some help in the last few seconds, a free pass to the final four. I'm so glad they lost, they got what they deserved. If SC could hit a layup they would have beaten UCONN, and be in the final four.

To be fair, EW played a vital role on a national title contending team, and competed at the highest level of WBB at the D1 level. She is a conference champion, a sweet 16 and elite 8 winner, and made a final 4. None of these things would probably happen if she's still a Lady Vol. And before folks start saying, "oh he must be a fan", we need to turn the page when it comes to EW, she is gone, and God bless her in any and all things she wants to do with "her life." The bottom line is that players want to win "CHAMPIONSHIPS", and currently we are not that team or program. Until we become a championship program again, high school players are going opt to go elsewhere. Whether we like it or not, EW decision's to leave UT is working out for "her". Lets turn the page, GO LADY VOLS!!!!
You go ahead and turn it, I still enjoy reading about their loss in the final four that they shouldn't have ever been in, except for the weak ref scared to call a foul that gave them a free pass

Well, to be fair she did make it to the final four. I think she is projected as a first round pic (which she would have been here as well). If she stays i think her minutes get cut by azzi and other perimeter players which would reduce her stats

No way she goes in the first round. That’s where she’s projected but I would not be shocked to see her go 2nd/3rd round or undrafted. She didn’t do anything to impress this season and got outplayed by two freshmen on her own team.

Reactions: utkCREW
Exactly..I don't mind players leaving but when u run ur mouth then left and went over there and ur Dam coach tried to insult our culture. I was praying for their lost. Matter of fact, I've watched that game 99 times. As for Rebecca Lobo she needs another job. She was like "oh wow that was not foul on Williams". She didn't do anything other than stand there. And I said Rebecca just shut ur big head up. Roll the tape cause I wana know wat she said when it happened to Baylor.

No way she goes in the first round. That’s where she’s projected but I would not be shocked to see her go 2nd/3rd round or undrafted. She didn’t do anything to impress this season and got outplayed by two freshmen on her own team.

She also has the uconn name on her chest which has carried a couple first rounders to that level.

Reactions: Oldman70
They went to the Final Four. We got bounced in the round of 32. There really isn’t a credible argument that Westbrook didn’t find greener grass up there.

That’s what i said. However both teams are home now and going to have to tune into the national championship game to see it. Her included...

Until we become a championship program again, high school players are going opt to go elsewhere.

So, if the best HS players opt to go elsewhere because we are not a championship program, how do we get to be a championship program?

VN Store

Back