Offense is a red flag

Win 2 this weekend and I think this team starts squarely being a National seed contender.

I agree with you. If we are 10-2 after this weekend and can come in around 3-3 over the next two weekends, we’ll be on more than solid ground.

Reactions: feathersax
I agree with you. If we are 10-2 after this weekend and can come in around 3-3 over the next two weekends, we’ll be on more than solid ground.

I thought it would take 19-11 to get a National seed but I saw at least one national guy say less. This weekend is a tricky one I think. 2/3 should be the outcome but you never know

I thought it would take 19-11 to get a National seed but I saw at least one national guy say less. This weekend is a tricky one I think. 2/3 should be the outcome but you never know

I am caught up on Bama has played Arky and Ole Miss, that’s tough. We played UGA and LSU. Bama is gonna be pissed and fighting for their lives in week 3, and we might think we can go in there and just roll them, over confidence if you will. I think they are better than what they have shown, we’ll see soon enough.

I am caught up on Bama has played Arky and Ole Miss, that’s tough. We played UGA and LSU. Bama is gonna be pissed and fighting for their lives in week 3, and we might think we can go in there and just roll them, over confidence if you will. I think they are better than what they have shown, we’ll see soon enough.

They are certainly better than their record but they are one of the bottom 1/3 teams I think. Tenn is a better team but being a road makes this one a coin flip series I think

Very big difference between being a .500 team and a 15-15 SEC record.

What is the difference?

Because at first I thought you were talking about .500 overall, but then I realized that .500 overall teams tend to have single-digit wins in-conference. [2019 USC had only 8 SEC wins, finished .500 overall] And now I'm completely lost as to what you mean.

Reactions: vol66
What is the difference?

Because at first I thought you were talking about .500 overall, but then I realized that .500 overall teams tend to have single-digit wins in-conference. [2019 USC had only 8 SEC wins, finished .500 overall] And now I'm completely lost as to what you mean.

Good grief

A .500 teams means a team finished 27-27 and goes home at seasons end.
See auburn and you will see one such example

a .500 sec team means a team goes to a regional.

Okay, well I was going off the assumption that ".500 team" meant ".500 in SEC play" because I thought it was pretty obvious that we aren't a .500 overall team, as far back as after the GSU series.

Still means this thread is confusing, though. #62 you said you told the board that Tennessee was a .500 team, then #94 you said that you never called us a .500 team. Did the former mean .500 in conference and the latter .500 overall? Surely you can understand my confusion.

Last edited:
Didn’t think so

This team finishes 7-13 bank on it
you really need to read closer before commenting on something that makes you look silly. I never once not once said this was a .500 team. Good grief

You said the team would go 7-13 in the SEC, not that they'd be .500 overall. My apologies for misquoting your obviously abundant and very accurate optimism.

Hmmmm keep reading

that was 7-13 place in the SEC not a record lol. I even have a bet on it and it looks like I’m going to lose that bet at the moment.

Got to this page and you were talking standings, not record. Regardless, I still think your pessimism is exhausting, but you win. You never said the team would finish .500.

You said the team would go 7-13 in the SEC, not that they'd be .500 overall. My apologies for misquoting your obviously abundant and very accurate optimism.
He said we would finish between 7 and 13th place in the SEC.

Last edited:
Got to this page and you were talking standings, not record. Regardless, I still think your pessimism is exhausting, but you win. You never said the team would finish .500.

Most people misunderstand my initial point. I thought and still think the offense is going to keep this team from being in the elite tier class. I repeatedly said winning 14-16 games in the SEC was still a good successful season. Now weeks later it’s appears that Tenn is going to do better than that and the Schedule makes that much easier with not playing ole miss and MSU.

Either way saying the offense is a factor that may keep this team from being elite doesn’t mean I was ever saying this team wasn’t going to be very good. I said 7-13 but now I say this team is heading toward a 4-9 finish as it’s been a great start

Reactions: txbo
Nothing personal at all BruinVol, but why are yall putting so much stock in what one guy think? Who cares? I don't agree with most of your post but I do enjoy them.

Reactions: BruinVol and txbo
Nothing personal at all BruinVol, but why are yall putting so much stock in what one guy think? Who cares? I don't agree with most of your post but I do enjoy them.

Well it's his thread, his premise (that the offense is problematic), and he's the primary mover of conversation in the thread. Add in the fact that the baseball forum sees like 1% of the activity that the FF gets, and it just seems like he's the focus when really there's just not a lot of people around.

Reactions: td23
Well it's his thread, his premise (that the offense is problematic), and he's the primary mover of conversation in the thread. Add in the fact that the baseball forum sees like 1% of the activity that the FF gets, and it just seems like he's the focus when really there's just not a lot of people around.

At the end of February, our offense was a concern. We are still stranding too many runners. Against top tier SEC teams, those missed opportunities are the difference between winning and losing.

the bottom line is most posters want to read sunshine and ice tea and don’t want to read anything negative.

It’s not just this baseball forum

I would disagree BruinVol. Lived in Tn for 14 years and the reason I was not a fan of UT back then was a couple of reasons but one main one was the doom and gloom mindset of UT fans. They would hire a new football coach and he was the best thing since sliced bread but when he lost his first game he should be fired. They have always thought they were relevant and live in the success of the past. I don't think UT fans are willing to allow for a little failure. I am certainly glad that TV has brought success to the program but failure is a part of success. My fear is that he loses the wrong series and the UT fans run him off without giving him a chance to completely build the program to what he wants it to be. Yes I am a TV fan because he was recruiting my son before he got to UT so I knew him when I was not sold on UT baseball. I hope people give him a chance to succeed and fail a little, because it will come, and still do what needs to be done to build the program. Will stranding runners cost us some games, yes but when you are stranding runners it means you are successful enough to get runners on which is offense. I hope that the successes in extra innings and close games will be a growing force to help us continue to win some games that will come our way in big series. At some point, those runners will not be stranded as we learn from our lessons. I do think the next three weekends will say a lot about this program.

just wondering , has there ever been a baseball team that hasn't stranded runners at some point. I really don't know how anyone gauges A team's abilities based on runners stranded. Baseball is unique in that regard , it's a game of failure . Yes every offensive coach wants every runner in scoring position to score but we all know that's not going to happen...But let me turn it this way... baseball is game of percentages and eventually the numbers should turn , maybe that particular number will turn in our favor....Pretty good spot to be in when The Vols haven't hit their full stride. My hope is we Hit on all cylinders about May and June!! This team has the ability to be really dangerous!!! Lots of pop, great defense and pitching!! IMO. I will be the first to say I'm not an expert but this team just flat out plays and grinds at the plate.... and yes that's not always true either!!!

I would disagree BruinVol. Lived in Tn for 14 years and the reason I was not a fan of UT back then was a couple of reasons but one main one was the doom and gloom mindset of UT fans. They would hire a new football coach and he was the best thing since sliced bread but when he lost his first game he should be fired. They have always thought they were relevant and live in the success of the past. I don't think UT fans are willing to allow for a little failure. I am certainly glad that TV has brought success to the program but failure is a part of success. My fear is that he loses the wrong series and the UT fans run him off without giving him a chance to completely build the program to what he wants it to be. Yes I am a TV fan because he was recruiting my son before he got to UT so I knew him when I was not sold on UT baseball. I hope people give him a chance to succeed and fail a little, because it will come, and still do what needs to be done to build the program. Will stranding runners cost us some games, yes but when you are stranding runners it means you are successful enough to get runners on which is offense. I hope that the successes in extra innings and close games will be a growing force to help us continue to win some games that will come our way in big series. At some point, those runners will not be stranded as we learn from our lessons. I do think the next three weekends will say a lot about this program.

Your criticism of our fan base's "fire the coach" mentality is fair..... but that's really got nothing to do with the criticism of our offense in February.

just wondering , has there ever been a baseball team that hasn't stranded runners at some point. I really don't know how anyone gauges A team's abilities based on runners stranded. Baseball is unique in that regard , it's a game of failure . Yes every offensive coach wants every runner in scoring position to score but we all know that's not going to happen...But let me turn it this way... baseball is game of percentages and eventually the numbers should turn , maybe that particular number will turn in our favor....Pretty good spot to be in when The Vols haven't hit their full stride. My hope is we Hit on all cylinders about May and June!! This team has the ability to be really dangerous!!! Lots of pop, great defense and pitching!! IMO. I will be the first to say I'm not an expert but this team just flat out plays and grinds at the plate.... and yes that's not always true either!!!

Coming from behind and winning in walk off fashion twice last weekend was certainly a huge encouragement.

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan
My statement was in reply to BruinVol's statement that our fans want to read sunshine and ice tea. I don't think that is the case. I read comments on here weekly that compare baseball to basketball and football and that the baseball team will fail like the other two do. it came out strong the other night when we went behind in the game and there were several who said the baseball team was just like the others and would disappoint until we came back. I just want to change the mentality of UT fans to support our guys and not see doom and gloom every time something goes bad. These guys have proven they are fighters and are getting better every week. I believe the offense is improving and that should be evident in a sweep of LSU. It may not have been in blazing glory but it was enough to get us through and hopefully it continues. The coaches are figuring out who will help us in what situations and that will get better in the future. I think that when you begin to build trust for guys off the bench then when someone is having a bad day you can sub in and know they will be competitive which helps your offense much like trusting guys in bullpen helps your starters on the mound. But it takes time to build trust as a coach. It is easier to go with what you know rather than what you think will happen.

My statement was in reply to BruinVol's statement that our fans want to read sunshine and ice tea. I don't think that is the case. I read comments on here weekly that compare baseball to basketball and football and that the baseball team will fail like the other two do. it came out strong the other night when we went behind in the game and there were several who said the baseball team was just like the others and would disappoint until we came back. I just want to change the mentality of UT fans to support our guys and not see doom and gloom every time something goes bad. These guys have proven they are fighters and are getting better every week. I believe the offense is improving and that should be evident in a sweep of LSU. It may not have been in blazing glory but it was enough to get us through and hopefully it continues. The coaches are figuring out who will help us in what situations and that will get better in the future. I think that when you begin to build trust for guys off the bench then when someone is having a bad day you can sub in and know they will be competitive which helps your offense much like trusting guys in bullpen helps your starters on the mound. But it takes time to build trust as a coach. It is easier to go with what you know rather than what you think will happen.

the posters HERE for sure want to read positive slanted takes

VN Store

Back