Heupel’s yard monster gobbling offenses

I'm cautiously optimistic that we're going to surprise some people...doesn't mean we're in East contention, but if we're getting back to an exciting brand of football, it helps build everything else. I've learned not to buy in to the "success by transference" deal, from our previous "best staff in america" and "100 championship rings on UT's staff"...but this staff does seem, at least on offense side, to have plan and humbly just doing their thing w/o fan fare...no brick by bricks...no we want to be like Bama.

Reactions: Action_1505
UCF was 6-4 last season and lost to BYU and Memphis.

Does it make you feel better to troll another team's page when your team recruits some of the best talent each year only to continuously throw up on yourself? Embarrassing

Good Lord, must you come here repeatedly to kick dirt on this board just because you can't get past Bama, and your most talented team in a decade got mudhole'd by UF?

Seriously. At least most of the Gator fans who come here bring something useful to the discussion.

Why do uf and uga fans insist on commenting on The VOL NATION? Haven't they anything to offer to their site? Do they get no love on their sites? Haven't they anything productive to do with their lives? I'd really like to know.

Reactions: VolsSince78
IIRC, UCF had 10 players mostly on defense opt out. Nationally they were #2 in total O and #8 in scoring.

I know your goal isn't balance or objectivity... but BYU was 11-1 last year. Memphis was 8-3 and beat UCF by one point. They didn't lose to bums... and didn't lose because they didn't score enough points.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
Ten University of Central Florida football players, including two projected starters, are opting out for the 2020 season because of concerns around the coronavirus pandemic, coach Josh Heupel said Tuesday.
Ten UCF players opting out due to coronavirus

Allan Adams, OL, freshman
Elijah Benoit, DB, junior transfer from Florida Tech
Lamarius Benson, OL, sophomore
Mason Cholewa, DL, junior
Kalia Davis, DL, junior
Devunte Dawson, DB, junior
Tay Gowan, DB, senior
D.J. Mack, QB, junior
Adrian Medley, OL, freshman
Kendrick Wilson, DL, freshman
I believe they also had a rash of in-season injuries.

Without sounding argumentative wasn't BYU's record 11-1, Memphis 8-3?
and UCF had 9 starters opt out before the season and starting QB out all season. I'd say that 6-4 was not very bad with all that.
It is completely fair to be argumentative in your response to an argumentative post...

It's easy to point to 6-4 and say "meh" but it's a very simple-minded approach. Anyone who even attempts to dig deeper into their losses will see that their football team was good. Could've easily been 11-1 if the ball bounces their way. Three of their losses were by 12 points combined, each was a 1 possession game. Besides, the original post was about offense and offense was clearly not a problem at UCF. The person you're responding to is just being mean.

How long, I wonder, before the 5 star kids in Atlanta get sick of going 9-3 and playing in a middle school offense? We’ve all seen Kirby’s ceiling. It’s what Saban was 10 years ago, and even Saban know that won’t cut it anymore. Maybe you guys could try running the Wing-T?

Just remember a couple of things here:
1. They only lost by three to #7 Cincinnati.
2. 11 players opted out that he relied on in 2020.
3. His offenses were in the top 5 for three years, only behind Alabama and Clemson.
4. I took a relook at what he did at Mizzou when he was offensive co. The quarterback there had all kinds of passing yards. He was tops in the sec in passing.
5. What he taught in Oklahoma was phenomenal as well.
6. Now I know that the vols are going through a lot, and that’s understandable, but what we are witnessing in practice three right now is a quicker offense already.
7. Just a change of quicker pace of these players learning this system is a sigh of relief just for vol fans I do believe.
Heupel reminds me of Dave Clawson............both as OC, had their offenses watered down due to HC directives. But as head coaches, they have the freedom to maximize their own concepts, with no restrictions. having 10 guys opt out is tough on anyone. IMO, no doubt we put up points but we will also have a lot of 3 and outs. the defense will be on the field a ton, regardless if the offense succeeds or fails, which is what Saban realized a few years back. Hard to play ball control when down 2 scores because the other team is running spread as well. but as a radio caller said this week, "i would rather travel to watch my team lose 45-38, then 17-10. if we can score, we will always have a chance."

Last edited:

VN Store

Back