Matthew Butler said 'everybody' in the 2017 class has considered leaving

Not surprised. Practically every kid has tough moments in college. They all consider it at some point but especially At a program in a free fall.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
3 coaches and 3 ADs probably wasn't what they were expecting

Agreed. We have got to stop this trend. It has been a mess. Pruitt and staff were worse than I was willing to admit but up until the last year I didn't believe Pruitt would stick with a losing QB no matter what or had hired mercenarial coaches who were doing some of the dumbest shi..... possible. This was on Fulmer. Just incompetence and set the program back even more.

Right now we are in the dumps and recruiting seems weak but if these guys can win then that will change. Heupel might actually be a real coach. We know he is not afraid to put 70 on the board which is a change from the last few underachievers. We just need to figure out how to keep the other team from scoring that many.

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol
Do we win 4 games this season? Serious question
I don’t know. If we lose games they will be in shoot outs. Losing by 7-10 after putting 30+on the board is a easier jagged pill to swallow. After having our eye sockets pounded in with our nose broken knocked below our right eye pouring blood like the last 3 seasons.

I can certainly understand it with 3 coaches in his time. I am glad he stayed as well as others from his class. I actually think he finally got an upgrade on coaching. I think he and Alontae both now have a better chance of making it to the NFL with their position coaches than they did with Pruitt. Anyway, I am certainly glad these kids stayed.

Reactions: HalfullVol
What does "considered" even mean? Did they think for even a moment about what challenges the transition to a new coaching staff might bring and whether or not they might be better off somewhere else? I'd be surprised if there was one of them who didn't at least think of that. Doesn't mean they ever wanted to leave. Or that they ever got any further than a passing thought. Not only is this not a big deal, it kind of just stands to reason, IMO. They're not robots.
Exactly. This is gymnastics journalism kinda. Sure he’s quoting the kid but anyone can take a quote and put it into a different context, sprinkle in a little sugar, stir in a little sigh, and boom...you get what you want it to say and in today’s culture an insinuation is guilt. CLEARLY most, if not all players have considered what transferring might look like for them. I mean, after all, EVERYONE is doing it...right!! Doesn’t mean the kid ever seriously thought about transferring. BUT...if the kid wants to leave I think we should help him through the process but devote 99% of our time and effort to the ones who staying. JMO

Do we win 4 games this season? Serious question
To add to my response, I should have said we have some big swing games that can get us to 7 and maybe 8. If Ole Miss really is progressing the way they seem to be that looks to be a tall order to outscore them. I’d say Ole Miss, UK and Mizzou are the toss ups.

For fun, let’s keep our eyes on the Gators some. They have to replace a lot of talent and production. This is my serious question....
How good is Florida gonna be this season??

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
To add to my response, I should have said we have some big swing games that can get us to 7 and maybe 8. If Ole Miss really is progressing the way they seem to be that looks to be a tall order to outscore them. I’d say Ole Miss, UK and Mizzou are the toss ups.

For fun, let’s keep our eyes on the Gators some. They have to replace a lot of talent and production. This is my serious question....
How good is Florida gonna be this season??
If Heupel gets to 8 wins he should be coach of the year. I think some are underestimating how difficult a job he has right now.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
If Heupel gets to 8 wins he should be coach of the year. I think some are underestimating how difficult a job he has right now.
If Heupel gets 6 wins I think it would be remarkable. My opinion is it will take him 3 years to get there owing to the lack of remaining talent and drop off in recruiting.

Not surprising at all and who can blame them?

Lets place blame where blame is deserved. Mike Hamilton! He is the rat that started the dominos falling to hell! This SOB wanted to fire Summit and did fire Phil in a season with a complete staff rebuild. Say what you may about Phil at the time; however, when your ENTIRE offensive coaching staff (save O line coach Atkins) gets poached by other teams you must be doing something right, such as having the Vols in the previous year's SEC title game. Then the mental midget hires Lane Kiffin. Remember, after Kiffin jumped ship NO ONE wanted to coach Tennessee. Top coaches saw a championship coach in Fulmer get the shaft by his alma mater. Our administration caused our national reputation to fall into the Mariana trench. When Hamilton resigned, he was paid $1.3M in severance by Chancellor Jimmy Cheek. No severance was owed. Administration incompetence for the world (and coaching candidates) to see. Do you remember the names tossed around to replace Lane? Hottest folks around "at the time." Muschamp, Gruden, Peterson, Petrino and even Fulmer. We ended up with Dooley. 2012? Same thing. Turned down by Gundy, Gruden, Fedora, Strong and etc. Chose Botch Jones over Kirby Smart. F#@%ing brilliant, right? The fact that we can get quality kids to still come to UT is a miracle unto itself. Make no mistake, this whole big $h%t sandwich we have endured over the past years lies squarely at the feet of Mike Hamilton. May God have mercy on his soul.

At least now we hired Danny White. Competent athletic administration is something he grew up in and he has a great track record. Perhaps we turn the corner by having a true professional in the seat previously filled by epic ineptitude.

For any nostalgia buffs out there, here are some links to coaching search articles from 2008, 2010 and 2012.

Tennessee facing unusual task of coaching search

Some Tennessee Head Coaching Candidates

Every possible Vols candidate

Last edited:
3 ADs, 3 HCs, 2-5 Position Coaches, 3 offensive/defensive schemes to learn, 4 S&C Coaches and impending ncaa sanctions.

As an added bonus they get ever demanding and often unrealistic fans.

The things people will do to get out of Student Loan Debt! lol

The UT Administration’s management of this football program has been astounding to watch. I wouldn’t think that they could have destroyed a Top-5 football program so completely if they had actually set out to do it. Just one colossal screw up and embarrassment after another.

VN Store

Back