Aftermath of Lady Vols Loss to Michigan

This is basically equivalent to saying "Your blind date has a really great personality!"

The role of guard who can't shoot but contributes other ways is all filled thank you. No more of those please.

Even if the guard couldn't shoot, it would be nice if she was a pure playmaker. Look at Holmes from MSST a few years ago. She couldn't score outside of 15 feet, but she ran the offense to perfection.

The problem is that Tennessee's lead guards can't shoot PLUS they aren't very good playmakers/decision makers.

I don’t know that they need a superstar to replace Rennia. Put a couple shooters out there and give Horston or Walker the Ball. Imagine a TN team with 3 point threats at the 2,3 and 4.

Isn't that what they had this year with Rae, Rennia and Marta? Marta had her limitations, but you had to guard her, and the other two were quick enough to blow by defenders if they guarded the perimeter too tightly. You lose that with Rennia's absence last year, and that's not going to be replaced by Darby or Puckett. You'll have two spot up shooters that aren't particularly quick along with Burrell who can create (and make shots) off the dribble.

Those losses hurt because Tennessee was a national championship contender every year, and despite each loss you knew they would be back in the hunt next year.

This loss is about trying to get back to that level and what a devastating setback this is to that goal. Looking at Kellie's coaching and recruiting history, this might be the most talent she ever has. When do you think she will have another Rennia Davis? And she couldn't even get past the second round. Maybe this is her ceiling here, which is greatly disappointing...

This is her second season. She doesn't have a true point guard, and she lacks a dependable three point shooter(s). Her offense was limited to attacking the rim. The Mich coach did what any of us would have done - shut down the inside game by packing the paint. She has a top five class coming in with a true point guard, and some other good players. With what she has coming back, and with development of those, we could have a very good team next season. It's a process. You don't ressurect a program in just two years. Look how long it took Barnes. You are a nattering nabob of negativism.

I agree with your post, we were out coached. Where were the in-game adjustments? Especially in the last 4-5 minutes of the game. Sure seemed like the coaches were sitting on their hands not knowing what adjustments to make. It also seemed like the team was playing a pick-up game and doing whatever they wanted to. Do they have any set plays? Sure doesn't seem like the coach has control over this team, and if that's right, I don't see things getting better regardless of the players you have.

Sorry to disagree, but the story is the lack of outside shooting. When the other team packs the paint and takes the rim away you have to answer with outside shooting. we were 2 of 14 from three. We are without a dependable three point shooter. That has to be fixed for next year to be a success. A complete team have been taking and hitting threes in response to their strategy. But we don't have the shooters. Not a lack of coaching.

The program is definitely trending slightly up from Holly's days, but not at a rate that will get us back in the elite category where we have always been. Kellie has got to recruit better and find a way to get her players to execute the fundamentals of the game more consistently. I sure hope she can do it, but the jury is still out.

She has a top five class coming in. That not good enough?

The women’s game is about the PG position. Anyone with a dominant PG can be in and win any game. We don’t have one and don’t have one coming in. CH of all people should understand this. Coaches with PG’s are playing chess while we are playing checkers.

What's wrong with the one coming in?

Was top 5 before the ESPN recruiting vendor transition. Example, Wynn was much higher, like mid 30s vs what 60’s or 70’s...
I think that was before the classes were completed and all the players committed. I don't know of any service who has us in the top 5 in the final evaluation of classes.

Was top 5 before the ESPN recruiting vendor transition. Example, Wynn was much higher, like mid 30s vs what 60’s or 70’s...
Dan Olsen had Kaiya at #23, but that's the only service that had her that high. She was #100 on Prospect Nation and #46 on ASGR.

The class rankings also tend to value quantity as much as quality. Arkansas may have been #25 in the ESPN ranking, but their top recruit is Jersey Wolfenberger...who will probably be a 1st team All-SEC and maybe even an All-American. If Tennessee switched recruiting classes with Arkansas, they would easily be top 2-3 in the SEC next season.

Reactions: olddog
Isn't that what they had this year with Rae, Rennia and Marta? Marta had her limitations, but you had to guard her, and the other two were quick enough to blow by defenders if they guarded the perimeter too tightly. You lose that with Rennia's absence last year, and that's not going to be replaced by Darby or Puckett. You'll have two spot up shooters that aren't particularly quick along with Burrell who can create (and make shots) off the dribble.

It was what Marta was supposed to bring to the table. The only time that I recall she was effective at it before she was injured was when they narrowly lost to UConn. Which, a hotly contested game against the nation’s number one team is impressive.

And again Rennia was less than 30% from 3 for the year. So frequently the game plan could be to play a step off her. Plus, it’s not like her first thought was to shoot the 3 and she was never one of those quick release 3 shooters. I hate to disparage her cuz I love what she is able to do, but 3 point assassin was not on her LV business card.

Striplin and Puckett will be making shots Key and KK could never make....Key and KK gave it a go, but they had their offensive limitations...

Michigan's game plan was perfect, that is, if we could not make the outside shot, which we didn't...When you shoot around 14% from the 3 line, and 33.9% from the field, your chances of winning are damn slim. Add in a lot of our misses were right in front of the open basket, some by our best shooters....It was a bloody nightmare!

It would be nice if Horston had a dependable outside shot, but so far, she does not...I went back and looked at a lot of HS film to see her game then..She mostly drove to the basket and overpowered her opponents with her athleticism, but hit very few outside shots...She does not look to shoot, she looks to first pass the ball, or drive the ball to the rim.

I've looked at film on Miles....This season she did shoot the outside ball a lot better than the previous years...The film I had seen before this season, was she had no outside shot, but this year she had a good outside shot...We shall all see together how her gamer is....

Walker (hopefully well) will probably start the season as pg, and share some spot duty with Miles...It's all guess work at this time...

The class rankings also tend to value quantity as much as quality. Arkansas may have been #25 in the ESPN ranking, but their top recruit is Jersey Wolfenberger...who will probably be a 1st team All-SEC and maybe even an All-American. If Tennessee switched recruiting classes with Arkansas, they would easily be top 2-3 in the SEC next season.

This is what people don't understand. Depth is nice, but star power is better. None of these players will be Rennia Davis, probably ever...

Reactions: olddog and Amb3096
I totally agree with all that you have offered. My biggest complaint is the almost total lack of ball security and ...too many turnover and steal by the opponents. That is the one thing that I have not seen Coach Harper attempt to correct. She needs to apply the Coach Rich Barnes method...in practice if there is a turnover, the player is required to run from the arena flood to the top and back...after a few trips the players becomes very ball security attention.

I think Kelly had pretty much been handcuffed by what she had inherited from Holly. Holly reviled the 3 point shot and that is still tainting the pool of players. In the woman’s game, I don’t believe you can win at the highest level anymore without that threat. Only 2 players can even remotely be thought to reliably shoot the 3 and that includes Rennia at less than 30%. (Still Lover her game, want her to be a Wing)

Add to the glaring 3 point issue that the LV posts are immobile, the idea of screen and cutting creating beautiful movement on offense is not a real possibility either. Now, I feel like maybe they could have moved Tamari up to the elbow and ran the offense through her because she does have a reliable elbow shot in my opinion. But that supposes she can get position there, fend off the defender on the entry pass reception and of course pass to cutters and open players.

I also feel the turnovers may be due to the severe limitations in mobility and the lack of 3 point shooting. Someone, at some position has to make a move with the ball and pass to do something and when the options are so limited and easily defended then the risk of throwing the ball away goes up.

My prediction for next year is that Kelly is gonna have a SF and PF that shoots the three. And then we will see the Jordan’s clean up their turns and improve their shooting % due to having more space and more options. I don’t know that they need a superstar to replace Rennia. Put a couple shooters out there and give Horston or Walker the Ball. Imagine a TN team with 3 point threats at the 2,3 and 4.
Darby...

Wasn't blaming Kellie .I did say that she should have tried some different offensive schems to help free up the two scorers on the team and I stand by that comment
Be careful in what criticism you post because you will be labeled a negavol by some on this board.

Sticks and stones - - won't break bones or my feelings with a post.:)

Please tell us how KH should have countered the other coach's strategy?
You could have run some double /triple screens for one or the other or both on different times down the floor.We had the wrong people being left open and taking shots ......Michigan knew who our shooters/scorers were and set up their defense to have two people in the face of each Davis and Burrell every time they touched the ball in the offense being run ....needed some variations in screening ......

VN Store

Back