Crouch???

Linebackers play longer in the NFL. Remember Jalen Hurd and how good of a running back he was and would and have been 1st or 2nd round pick if he stayed at running back instead of changing positions. Instead he changed positions due to he wanted to play longer in league snd didn’t want his body to take a beating anymore at running back.
I disagree with you. Hurd played very well as a receiver out of the backfield while playing Rb at UT. He put up above average totals as a receiver at his last college stop. Hurd was right in his belief that he his best value to a team and himself long term was as a receiver than Rb.

I thought Crouch was really coming on strong against the run later in the season and was improving in coverage but still not where he needed to be. It was only his second year at LB and he was being coached by Niedermeyer...so we should cut him some slack.

I disagree with you. Hurd played very well as a receiver out of the backfield while playing Rb at UT. He put up above average totals as a receiver at his last college stop. Hurd was right in his belief that he his best value to a team and himself long term was as a receiver than Rb.
I was hard on Hurd when he left, but he was right in the long run. Butch should have schemed the shotgun with two RBs with JH and AK and use one as a decoy on each play and flex out one in to the slot. Oh, well. His genius failed him on that one.

I wish I had your trust in what we have behind them. We are so thin at LB that even with them, we are in dire straights.
It's not a matter of trusting the backups. I'd rather lose with those backups than see either one of those guys in orange again. We're going to take beatings with or without those two so I'll take my lumps with kids who want to be at UT and appreciate that opportunity.

I thought Crouch was really coming on strong against the run later in the season and was improving in coverage but still not where he needed to be. It was only his second year at LB and he was being coached by Niedermeyer...so we should cut him some slack.
RB will be one of our strongest positions this Fall. We need him more on defense.

It's not a matter of trusting the backups. I'd rather lose with those backups than see either one of those guys in orange again. We're going to take beatings with or without those two so I'll take my lumps with kids who want to be at UT and appreciate that opportunity.
I’m not sure why you seem to have so much animosity for them. The last staff screwed over every player on this team, in a multitude of ways. If they want to play, I’ll support them.

As a reminder we were one of the few schools who recruited Crouch that promised to use him as a LB rather than a RB. His reasoning then was as he looked into the NFL, LBs tend to make more as they have longer careers than do RBs there. He understood from the outset this would be a tough transition for him. He did play both positions in high school but there's a world of difference between that and college.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
I still think he could be a very good one
Does he fit what Heupel wants in a RB? Seems like we'd be looking more for guys like the recently departed Gray who can do damage in space rather than the 215-220lb type backs? Suspect we'll see several guys move along who simply don't fit what Heupel is looking for at their positions. Good news is that the transfer portal will enable a sinking program like ours a chance to sift through the bodies available and salvage some players for what we're trying to do. Combine that with some hungry 2 and 3 star types and we might be able to field a fun if not decent team to watch this fall.

Does he fit what Heupel wants in a RB? Seems like we'd be looking more for guys like the recently departed Gray who can do damage in space rather than the 215-220lb type backs? Suspect we'll see several guys move along who simply don't fit what Heupel is looking for at their positions. Good news is that the transfer portal will enable a sinking program like ours a chance to sift through the bodies available and salvage some players for what we're trying to do. Combine that with some hungry 2 and 3 star types and we might be able to field a fun if not decent team to watch this fall.
No it doesn’t. Every team still has 25 they can sign in any given year.

Linebackers play longer in the NFL. Remember Jalen Hurd and how good of a running back he was and would and have been 1st or 2nd round pick if he stayed at running back instead of changing positions. Instead he changed positions due to he wanted to play longer in league snd didn’t want his body to take a beating anymore at running back.
Due to how it went down with Hurd leaving he doesn't get enough credit for how good he was. A lot of people knock Jones myself included for not playing Kamara enough. He really should have found a way to put them both on the field at least 25 snaps a game together. But I'm not 100% sure Kamara was better. Hurd had some nasty stiff arms and it seemed like he hurt at least 2 people a game from them hitting him. He was probably one of the best we've had at pass protection too. He punished people in pass protection almost every play. He would have easily broke UTs rushing record running behind Jones questionable blocking schemes. That's a accomplishment in it's own. Had Hurd came in with the same recruiting class as Juan James I think Dooley may have had a little longer tenure here. That line was wasted with Poole as the #1 back.

How about in the CFL or arena league? Without massive improvement Crouch won’t be playing LB in the NFL.
I don't know about that. Crouch has a lot of potential. Looks alone he is the most physically impressive looking linebacker we've had in a min. Similar build to Leonard Little. Ive lost count of the players we've had in recent history that under performed here goes undrafted and ends up signing not one but two contracts in the NFL. Emmanuel Mosley, Shy Tuttle, Callaway, Kendal Vickers, Jakob Johnson, Justin Coleman, Kyle Phillips. Seems like the majority of players we have in the league went undrafted and wasn't overly impressive while here. It's disgusting to think back at all the talent Butch had and nothing of note ever came from it.

Reactions: 901 Orange
Crouch was the worst player on our defense last season. Where else would he think he can play?

Some community college in Nebraska maybe. He applied to several, and is waiting until spring planting is done out there before they get back with him.

the top 3 RBs are gone - dont see the logic here

Evans film looked really good. I think he will be better than Gray or Chandler. Small looked just as explosive as Gray did. Jaylen Wright has some serious speed.

While we like to think Gray was some stud, he really wasn’t. Good? Yes. But not irreplaceable. I think our RB room is stacked.

Evans film looked really good. I think he will be better than Gray or Chandler. Small looked just as explosive as Gray did. Jaylen Wright has some serious speed.

While we like to think Gray was some stud, he really wasn’t. Good? Yes. But not irreplaceable. I think our RB room is stacked.

You did not even mention Beckwith who will be dynamic at several spots I THINK. I know he is tall, but still freaky enough if he is not injury prone. Glad he got a totally free year last year.

Due to how it went down with Hurd leaving he doesn't get enough credit for how good he was. A lot of people knock Jones myself included for not playing Kamara enough. He really should have found a way to put them both on the field at least 25 snaps a game together. But I'm not 100% sure Kamara was better. Hurd had some nasty stiff arms and it seemed like he hurt at least 2 people a game from them hitting him. He was probably one of the best we've had at pass protection too. He punished people in pass protection almost every play. He would have easily broke UTs rushing record running behind Jones questionable blocking schemes. That's a accomplishment in it's own. Had Hurd came in with the same recruiting class as Juan James I think Dooley may have had a little longer tenure here. That line was wasted with Poole as the #1 back.
Kamara and Hurd was both great but totally different backs. It was pure criminal to not have Hurd and Kamara on the field at the same time more. That team had enough talent to make it to the Sugar Bowl or a playoff playoff berth if we would have had a real coach. I remember we had a lead in every game including Alabama that year and should have beat Oklahoma. With a good coaching staff we would have beat Bama and Oklahoma and been playoff bound.

You did not even mention Beckwith who will be dynamic at several spots I THINK. I know he is tall, but still freaky enough if he is not injury prone. Glad he got a totally free year last year.

I just don’t see Beckwith as a long term RB. If he does I am cool with it but I just don’t see it. I mean the guy is bigger than Derrick Henry.

VN Store

Back