Aftermath of Lady Vols Loss to Michigan

Ah, what a wonderful whataboutism.

Not really. the argument that the fate of a program hinges on one-tournament is simply hyperbole. And is it worse to lose in the 2nd round of the tournament or to not make the tourney at all (and that following a disastrous season). From tennessee's standpoint, the sticky factor is that they made it as a 3 seed, there highest in years. So, there is a clear story of a strong trajectory.

So apologies to you and others are jumping on my for not going all in on the gloom and doom downward spiral. The sun will come up tomorrow.

Nah, not even top 5. Let's see. The Duke loss in '99, the second UConn Final Four loss, the first rounder against Ball State, the loss to Xavier loss back when Balcomb was on her way up, and the 1990 loss to Virginia in the regional finals.

Those were devastating. This is just another bump on a road Tennessee's been on for the last several years. I very much doubt that a recruit's expectations were wildly influenced by a 17-7 team with a second year coach going out on a crappy second round loss.

Those losses hurt because Tennessee was a national championship contender every year, and despite each loss you knew they would be back in the hunt next year.

This loss is about trying to get back to that level and what a devastating setback this is to that goal. Looking at Kellie's coaching and recruiting history, this might be the most talent she ever has. When do you think she will have another Rennia Davis? And she couldn't even get past the second round. Maybe this is her ceiling here, which is greatly disappointing...

this might be the most talent she ever has. When do you think she will have another Rennia Davis? And she couldn't even get past the second round. Maybe this is her ceiling here, which is greatly disappointing...

And a young crocodile might rise up out of the commode and bite me in the naughty bits, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start using a thunder mug from now on.

Last edited:
Kellie may get us there but I believe the rebuild could have been shortened by hiring an elite coach.
What elite coach? Easy to say without putting out there who should have been hired. Let's explore that thought. Who are the elite coaches in WCBB.
1. Geno - Never leaving UCONN
2. Tara - Never leaving Stanford
3. Mulkey - Never leaving Baylor
4. Dawn - Not leaving USC with what she has built there
5. Walz - Most likely wouldn't leave U of L. Makes a ton of money in a fairly cushy job and is well established there.
6. Frese - She isn't leaving U of M. Makes too much money and has an established program.
7. Vic - Wanted to go back to Texas. Texas has history and money so he would most likely chosen them over us.
8. Mitchell - He was comfortable at UK. He wasn't leaving. Shame he got injured so badly.
9 thru whatever have no better resume than Kellie.

So I ask, what elite coach should we have hired?

What elite coach? Easy to say without putting out there who should have been hired. Let's explore that thought. Who are the elite coaches in WCBB.
1. Geno - Never leaving UCONN
2. Tara - Never leaving Stanford
3. Mulkey - Never leaving Baylor
4. Dawn - Not leaving USC with what she has built there
5. Walz - Most likely wouldn't leave U of L. Makes a ton of money in a fairly cushy job and is well established there.
6. Frese - She isn't leaving U of M. Makes too much money and has an established program.
7. Vic - Wanted to go back to Texas. Texas has history and money so he would most likely chosen them over us.
8. Mitchell - He was comfortable at UK. He wasn't leaving. Shame he got injured so badly.
9 thru whatever have no better resume than Kellie.

So I ask, what elite coach should we have hired?

Presumably all of them were willing to be form a super, snyder cut justice league unity if only Fulmer had just asked but alas....

No need to always sugarcoat this program. Fact is we had a team that was seeded 3rd....and got hammered by lower ranked seed. Every story I see in regard to this game describes it as Vols being "shocked"..."upset"....or "stunned." Plain and simple... it's yet another game where the Vols lost and they should not have...just like the men's team. Mens and Women's both bow out of tourney being "stunned" by a lesser program. Man...this is getting old....but somehow oddly expected. I am really getting fed up with the constant losing to lesser programs. It happens so often most of us expect it...and the Vols never disappoint in that regard. You know what would be the real "stunner?" UT basketball...men's or women's... actually win a big game that they are favored in....instead of ALWAYS being the ones "stunned" or "shocked."

I totally agree with all that you have offered. My biggest complaint is the almost total lack of ball security and ...too many turnover and steal by the opponents. That is the one thing that I have not seen Coach Harper attempt to correct. She needs to apply the Coach Rich Barnes method...in practice if there is a turnover, the player is required to run from the arena flood to the top and back...after a few trips the players becomes very ball security attention.
That could possibly change with small guards Miles and quick guard Wynn coming in to help in the backcourt.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I'm confused on why or how the team missing 17 wide open damn layups from our best players that they make 99% of the time is Kellie's fault? All she can do is put them in a position to have those opportunities. Them not making those shots doesn't fall on Kellie. What do you want her to do go out and hit layups for them? We hit just 8 of those 17 missed layups, and we win. That's less than 50% of those missed, and we STILL WIN.

Rennia even said in her presser that their game plan was great, but they didn't execute it. That's not on Kellie. Her game plan was solid. We got open. We had the shots. Wide open shots most of the time. Players have to make the plays. We couldn't hit them. It happens. Period. Accept the defeat. Not every loss is the coach's problem. I mean I don't know what else you wanted her know to do other than suit up and go play 6 on 5 with them.

So did any else know that Jordan was suffering with ill effects after having experienced COVID🤔
Rennia admitted that she was the player that got COVID-19 in the second shutdown and the reason why she didnt play vs Kentucky...didnt know Jordan got it as well...which Jordan???

Where we need to get and still trying to get is a roster that has a lot of upperclassmen that have been in the program a long time and have continued to develop their playing skills. Davis and Burrell were very good players in their second year under Harper after those two there wasn't much help putting the ball in the basket so everything rested on how those two players played. If they had a bad game definitely more likely to lose as no one else could be depended upon to step up and play well when things were not going well for these two key players. That is what this season was all about no support for two players that occasionally had bad games. A very few times Horston or Key played well enough to be considered sufficient help although that was not to often. KK better than she has ever been yet not a scorer and never one you could depend on to have a big game when the big two were having their problems. Walker not an efficient scorer and then after those six it got much worse as none of Suarez, Salary, Darby, Saunders, or Rennie could be depended upon enough to even play more than a few minutes a game. McCoy injured all season as was Green don't know how much help they might have been unlikely enough to change the record much.
So going into next season a lot will have to go right for us to be a top SEC team. We have Burrell back and she will be an AA she is a worker and will get even better than she was this season. We need the sophomores this season Key and Horston to take huge strides in becoming efficient scorers. Key just needs a way to get more touches which couldn't happen very often this season because teams did not respect our outside shooting and were very comfortable keeping a lot of defensive players in the paint. Horston needs a complete makeover of her offensive game. She needs to start with a shooting instructor today and work until next season in developing a shooting stroke. She is a player that must be an efficient and dependable scorer next season. Then we should have Walker and Green back who are dependable players and hopefully better than they were this season. Darby possibly could be a perimeter scorer but she would really need to build up her core strength and leg strength body just to soft at this point to play a physical offensive and defensive game. She has a 40 percent three point shooting stroke if she could get strong enough to stay on the floor. Salary seemed to lose her game late in the season maybe she develops it again over the summer. Suarez have to see where she goes from where she is now injured quite a bit late season. The freshman should provide a bench we haven't had in the first two seasons under Harper. Puckett and Striplin are physical players that know how to score. Wynn and Miles will make us quicker in the backcourt than we have been in a while. Wynn could be a breakout player even as a freshman she was fabulous her senior season 30 ppg 11 rpg 5.4 steals 3.6 assists. I don't think she is a terrific there point shooter her game is more mid-range and getting to the basket. I don't know where Rennie and Saunders fit in guess we'll find out over the summer and start of next season.

I think the team could potentially be better next season if all the players improve at the rate they did this season. We could use a top player out of the portal that has an established perimeter game plus defensive skills and can't emphasize enough how important it will be for Horston to live up to her number two in her class ranking next season. It will take a lot of hard work on her part over the next six months. Whether she is willing to do what it takes guess all of us that are here next season will find out.

We watched different games that is obvious to me .Just how many shots did Burrell and Davis take in the 1st quarter and in the 2nd quarter.All their shots were highly contested ...in most cases .by two Michigan defenders.The only points that Burrell had at the half was a rebound put back .Fact is how many touches did each Davis and Burrell have in the 1st two quarters where they had an open shot ?

In the opening minute, Key missed a lay-up, Davis got the rebound and missed a lay-up,. Next play, Davis came down and got a shot at the rim and back ironed it and the pattern continued,. At one point, ABC put up a graph that the LVs were something like 6-27 on lay-ups. The announcers kept repeating that "the LVs miss another lay-up!" The LVs had plenty of open 3's on top of that. Michigan's defense was not the story of the game.

I believe that Horsten and a few of the others have a lot more potential to develop other than Key. She is just lost on the floor. Has no idea of how to play the post or use her height to help thr team. If she can reach up and get the ball then she might but don't expect her to put much effort into it. This is not high school where her height should have been an obvious advantage. IMO if she were to transfer, that would be the best move she made since she arrived at UT. If KJH's husband is responsible for coaching the paint area and this is the best he can do, then perhaps he needs to stay home and take care of the kids. KJH needs to beat the transfer portal or possible recruits for someone who could just hold their own in the paint. Others certainly need a big step forward but may very well be a long year next season.
OTHER NOTES: (1) Mimi Collins now a starting five player for Md, and (2) Kim English already at work at George Mason as men's coach. Expect good things for the Patriots from that upgrade. Lot's of good players (boys & girls) in the Northern Va., DC, Maryland suburbs area.

I believe that Horsten and a few of the others have a lot more potential to develop other than Key. She is just lost on the floor. Has no idea of how to play the post or use her height to help thr team. If she can reach up and get the ball then she might but don't expect her to put much effort into it. This is not high school where her height should have been an obvious advantage. IMO if she were to transfer, that would be the best move she made since she arrived at UT. If KJH's husband is responsible for coaching the paint area and this is the best he can do, then perhaps he needs to stay home and take care of the kids. KJH needs to beat the transfer portal or possible recruits for someone who could just hold their own in the paint. Others certainly need a big step forward but may very well be a long year next season.
OTHER NOTES: (1) Mimi Collins now a starting five player for Md, and (2) Kim English already at work at George Mason as men's coach. Expect good things for the Patriots from that upgrade. Lot's of good players (boys & girls) in the Northern Va., DC, Maryland suburbs area.

I guess you missed her triple double game and the fact that she is one of the top shot blockers in the nation. She has shown flashes of real potential. Her upside is massive. She does need to work on physicality but she can easily come back and be a major force next season.

In the opening minute, Key missed a lay-up, Davis got the rebound and missed a lay-up,. Next play, Davis came down and got a shot at the rim and back ironed it and the pattern continued,. At one point, ABC put up a graph that the LVs were something like 6-27 on lay-ups. The announcers kept repeating that "the LVs miss another lay-up!" The LVs had plenty of open 3's on top of that. Michigan's defense was not the story of the game.
That pattern did not continue for either Davis or Burrell in either the 1st or 2nd quarters.The open shots came mainly in quarters 3 and 4 when the game got out of reach.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back