Safe to say the Big Ten was grossly overrated

Fun fact...the Big Ten has not won a men's basketball championship since 2000 (Michigan St).

Since 2000, the ACC has won 8, the SEC has won 3, and the Big East has won 6.

Even worse, the Pac 12 has not won one since 1997 (Arizona).

Fun fact...the Big Ten has not won a men's basketball championship since 2000 (Michigan St).

Since 2000, the ACC has won 8, the SEC has won 3, and the Big East has won 6.

Even worse, the Pac 12 has not won one since 1997 (Arizona).
Surprised they don’t try and claim Maryland 2002 title.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Iowa is on pace to give up 120 to Oregon. That may be an effect from Oregon getting a forfeit in the previous round; fresher legs.

I’ve been saying the Big 10 was overrated all year. I’m not really sure why everyone was so enamored with that conference. The SEC is just as good as the other conferences but we just don’t get the same respect. The Pac-12 is showing out though. That’s what has surprised me the most this tournament.

I’ve been saying the Big 10 was overrated all year. I’m not really sure why everyone was so enamored with that conference. The SEC is just as good as the other conferences but we just don’t get the same respect. The Pac-12 is showing out though. That’s what has surprised me the most this tournament.
It's just reputation. The Big Ten has more schools who have been consistently good for a long period time in basketball (Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin. The SEC gets the same benefit of the doubt in football.

The SEC, in somewhat of a misleading fashion, is still thought of as a one trick pony (Kentucky). Kentucky is definitely the only consistently dominant team in the conference, but in any given year there are multiple other good schools; it just isn't always the same schools. Sometimes Florida is really good, sometimes Tennessee, sometimes LSU, sometimes Arkansas, sometimes Auburn, etc.

The last decade plus, the SEC has been a really underrated basketball conference. I think it's purely because everybody, even people in the SEC, look at the conference and just automatically think "football" because of how much popular it is here and how good the conference has been at that sport.

Maybe it’s not that the Big 10 is bad, but everyone else is better lol

Honestly though, the Big 10 season is quite the grind. B12 isn’t faring that great either and they’re the other conferences considered to be the best in the country.

It's just reputation. The Big Ten has more schools who have been consistently good for a long period time in basketball (Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin. The SEC gets the same benefit of the doubt in football.

The SEC, in somewhat of a misleading fashion, is still thought of as a one trick pony (Kentucky). Kentucky is definitely the only consistently dominant team in the conference, but in any given year there are multiple other good schools; it just isn't always the same schools. Sometimes Florida is really good, sometimes Tennessee, sometimes LSU, sometimes Arkansas, sometimes Auburn, etc.

The last decade plus, the SEC has been a really underrated basketball conference. I think it's purely because everybody, even people in the SEC, look at the conference and just automatically think "football" because of how much popular it is here and how good the conference has been at that sport.
But when does the Big 10 stop getting the benefit of the doubt? They haven’t won in 20 years and yet they always get the most teams in the tournament. The committee needs to look at that conference differently. There’s too many deserving teams that get left out of the tournament (ie Belmont this year) because the Big 10 takes up 13-15% of the bracket. I’m tired of all the talk they get and it’s going to be hilarious if they get 9 teams in the dance and NONE of them make the Sweet 16. It’s pretty ridiculous to keep rewarding a conference whenever they never win the freaking thing.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
But when does the Big 10 stop getting the benefit of the doubt? They haven’t won in 20 years and yet they always get the most teams in the tournament. The committee needs to look at that conference differently. There’s too many deserving teams that get left out of the tournament (ie Belmont this year) because the Big 10 takes up 13-15% of the bracket. I’m tired of all the talk they get and it’s going to be hilarious if they get 9 teams in the dance and NONE of them make the Sweet 16. It’s pretty ridiculous to keep rewarding a conference whenever they never win the freaking thing.
Probably never, because they are a P5 conference. A P5 conference is always going to get the benefit of the doubt over a non-conference champ from a mid-major conference that played nobody.

The Big Ten doesn't have a title in 20 years, but they have multiple schools that are basically always at least pretty good, if not great.

Belmont had a great year, but they played nobody and went 1-2 against Morehead St, the conference champ. There's no way in hell the committee is going to put them in over a Michigan St team that went 1-1 against Michigan, 1-1 against Ohio St, 1-0 against Illinois, etc. If Belmont went 2-1 against Morehead St with the loss being in the conference title game, I think they probably would have gotten in.

Maybe it’s not that the Big 10 is bad, but everyone else is better lol

Honestly though, the Big 10 season is quite the grind. B12 isn’t faring that great either and they’re the other conferences considered to be the best in the country.

All of the sudden Bill Walton's Conference of Champions is looking like an elite conference.

This year by the hoop experts. All we heard was how good that league was

Much St-gone
Ohio St-gone
Purdue-gone
Illinois-gone
Rutgers-gone

All but Mich st & Rutgers to lower seeds.
Was going to start a thread stating the same thing....Unbelievable

VN Store

Back