Oats to Indiana?

John Beilein would be a good short term fix for Indiana as the 2021 basketball coaching carousel gets rolling.

We can only hope but bama got more money than indy!
Yeah if he goes it wont be because money. He will be rich either way. If he leaves Bama for Indiana it comes down to one of 2 things. He likes the thought of mixing it up with a super competitive conference and with 9 current teams in the tournament that brings that appeal. But I doubt thats the attraction. The #1 reason would be the Adolph Rupp Bear Bryant effect. It is well known Kentucky disrespected the Bear to go all in with Rupp as the alpha. At Bama if Oats feels like he will never get a shot to be the schools royalty and he thinks his style will succeed at Indiana he will be the alpha no matter how much Tom Allen does with their football team. But Oats doesn't strike me as a guy who thinks that way. So I assume he won't entertain an offer from Indiana.

Reactions: feathersax
I can’t see Oats taking that job. I don’t think there’s anything he could do at IU that he couldn’t do at Bama. And Bama is more than able to match money with IU thanks to Saban.

Reactions: feathersax
I can’t see Oats taking that job. I don’t think there’s anything he could do at IU that he couldn’t do at Bama. And Bama is more than able to match money with IU thanks to Saban.
Alabama doesn't give much of a damn about basketball.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Indiana basketball died the day they fired Bob Knight

They played in the championship game in 2002 and They won the big 10 as recently as 2016, so you can be someone other than Bob Knight and succeed there. It’s a high pressure job in a very tough conference. Recruiting has changed since the days of BK and success at UM, Ohio St, Mich St has hurt their recruiting. They’ve kind of been like UT football, a lot of potential but terrible coaching hires the last couple of decades. Kelvin Sampson would have probably had a lot success there if he didn’t get hit with a show cause that forced him out.

Last edited:
Dark Horse:

Brad Stevens. Not going to win a championship in Boston. Can revive a dead program at IU.

weird that IU is better at football than UT, and UT is better than IU in basketball..............
tenor.gif

If Roy is out Carolina will come calling...

Roy will never be fired. He’s won more than Dean, although not many UNC fans will acknowledge that Roy could be a better coach than the Dirtless man.

Didn’t they say the same about Phil at one point?
The only person that legitimately can never be fired is K. He could go O- the season and they’d say he’s fine he’ll bounce back.

it’s painful to say but it’s true.

VN Store

Back