Per Hyams - Tennessee shut down due to Covid

Let's break it down more.

You and some dude are standing there naked. He pee-pees and some splashes on you.
Let's say then you happen to be wearing pants. When he pee-pees, only a little gets on you.
Now, just for kicks, let's say both of you are wearing pants. He pee-pees...you stay completely dry!

See? That's how masks work.

You actually think this is a valid/believable comparison? 😂😂😂

Do you think children should be vaccinated against Covid?
That would be an awfully reckless recommendation, as no available CV19 vaccine has received FDA approval and none have been granted Emergency Use Authorization for children <16 years old. Early trials are currently underway.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
That would be an awfully reckless recommendation, as no available CV19 vaccine has received FDA approval and none have been granted Emergency Use Authorization for children <16 years old. Early trials are currently underway.

I meant generally and assuming the FDA/ACIP give their blessing

Oh come on, you can make some general diagnoses for us over the Internet!
Right!

"Assuming" is how people mistakenly relate peeing down their own leg to blocking viral particles that are measured in nanometers. It can also apparently lead others to ignorantly claim that an official government website is fake, just because they aren't aware of the domain nomenclature.

Let's break it down more.

You and some dude are standing there naked. He pee-pees and some splashes on you.
Let's say then you happen to be wearing pants. When he pee-pees, only a little gets on you.
Now, just for kicks, let's say both of you are wearing pants. He pee-pees...you stay completely dry!

See? That's how masks work.

Serious question, do you think COVID is going to ever go away?

I don't give "general" recommendations nor assume anything. That's how science works.

Fair enough.

As a kiddiedoc, what is your advice when a parent asks: "If a safe and effective Covid-19 vaccine becomes available after being properly tested and gone through the appropriate approval channels, do you think I should have my otherwise healthy 10 year old vaccinated as a matter of routine?"

Right!

"Assuming" is how people mistakenly relate peeing down their own leg to blocking viral particles that are measured in nanometers. It can also apparently lead others to ignorantly claim that an official government website is fake, just because they aren't aware of the domain nomenclature.

Water molecules are smaller than viruses.

Right!

I got to point out your inconsistency.

You are "assuming" you know more about this topic than I do, yet declare that you don't assume anything.

I got to point out your inconsistency.

You are "assuming" you know more about this topic than I do, yet declare that you don't assume anything.
On one hand, he doesn't assume to make professional recommendations because that's highly unethical and bad practice. You asked him to assume and make a medical recommendation over the Internet. Asinine.

On the other, he assumes your level of knowledge based on posts you've made all through the thread. For example, baldly claiming 'water molecules are smaller than viruses' is factually wrong, because there are viruses smaller than water molecules. It's also wrong because that's irrelevant, as you're not likely to encounter single water molecules in examples you've shared.

Fair enough.

As a kiddiedoc, what is your advice when a parent asks: "If a safe and effective Covid-19 vaccine becomes available after being properly tested and gone through the appropriate approval channels, do you think I should have my otherwise healthy 10 year old vaccinated as a matter of routine?"

As I tell all my patients, we will discuss it if/when that day comes. Hopefully, the current trend continues, virus variants don't gain escape mutations, immunity is long-lasting, children remain at nearly zero risk for serious outcomes, and immunizing kids won't be necessary.

As I tell all my patients, we will discuss it if/when that day comes. Hopefully, the current trend continues, virus variants don't gain escape mutations, immunity is long-lasting, children remain at nearly zero risk for serious outcomes, and immunizing kids won't be necessary.

Sounds reasonable.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
On one hand, he doesn't assume to make professional recommendations because that's highly unethical and bad practice. You asked him to assume and make a medical recommendation over the Internet. Asinine.

On the other, he assumes your level of knowledge based on posts you've made all through the thread. For example, baldly claiming 'water molecules are smaller than viruses' is factually wrong, because there are viruses smaller than water molecules. It's also wrong because that's irrelevant, as you're not likely to encounter single water molecules in examples you've shared.

My bad on viruses vs water molecules...but could you elaborate?

Your statement that "water molecules are smaller than viruses' is factually wrong, because there are viruses smaller than water molecules".
There's no elaboration. I'm not an expert and a quick search online indicates that water molecules are ~27nm. Size ranges for viruses start at 20nm.

VN Store

Back